What's new

who are "high tier", "mid tier", "low tier"

high tier means a character who has an advantage over most of their matches

mid tier means a character who is roughly split between disadvantage and advantage in their matchups

low tier characters are those who are mostly disadvantaged in their matchups

their is no reliable matchup data for mk yet, so all tier discussion right now is EXTREMELY speculative.

matchup data is derived from expert players of equal skill playing sets of ten using the characters at issue. a matchup of 6-4 means 6 out of 10 matches, character X will beat character Y, despite the fact that the players are equally skilled.

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
From this Tom Brady radio blog i heard,

He rated some high tiers as Raiden (due to the speed of enhanced electric fly owing all projectiles and somewhat he's quick teleport), and I think Nightwolf was mentioned in the top 3. He did mention that sub zero was the top character, but to get there, you had to play really smart.

I think he mentioned that Kung Lao was a bit overrated, due to his big combos being situational, and that his spin and dive moves were highly punishable on block.

He also mentioned that the Shang Tsung the top tier according to the Prima Guide loses 8-2 to cyber sub zero, ala dive kick shenanigans.

Would be good to look into what actually makes a high tier in a mortal kombat game. We'll probably need to consider things like:
- Damage output with or without meter, with or without the corner, the bigger the damage the less mistakes your opponent can make
- Effectiveness of normals, specials, enhanced specials and X-Ray. I'm thinking Johnny Cage's X-Ray game changer.

More specifically to Mortal Kombat, one would need to consider the tools:
- Teleports
- Containment moves
- Projectile, and various zoning, often projectile spam
- Rush down moves

From this Tom Brady radio blog i heard,

He rated some high tiers as Raiden (due to the speed of enhanced electric fly owing all projectiles and somewhat he's quick teleport), and I think Nightwolf was mentioned in the top 3. He did mention that sub zero was the top character, but to get there, you had to play really smart.

I think he mentioned that Kung Lao was a bit overrated, due to his big combos being situational, and that his spin and dive moves were highly punishable on block.

He also mentioned that the Shang Tsung the top tier according to the Prima Guide loses 8-2 to cyber sub zero, ala dive kick shenanigans.

Would be good to look into what actually makes a high tier in a mortal kombat game. We'll probably need to consider things like:
- Damage output with or without meter, with or without the corner, the bigger the damage the less mistakes your opponent can make
- Effectiveness of normals, specials, enhanced specials and X-Ray. I'm thinking Johnny Cage's X-Ray game changer.

More specifically to Mortal Kombat, one would need to consider the tools:
- Teleports
- Containment moves
- Projectile, and various zoning, often projectile spam
- Rush down moves
With what you said can you explain to me how sub zero normal makes top tier?