What's new

Question Which game had the best combo breaker/burst system?

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
The question is pretty straight forward. Since lots of modern fighting games have extended and longer combos, breakers (or Bursts to arc system fans out there) have been more frequent. Which fighting game handles getting out of your opponent's combo the best?

JJV Phoenix

I'm not Vak goddamnit
Easily Killer Instinct (2013). The breaker system of matching your opponent's attack strength, counter breakers, and the lockout system forces you to pay attention to your opponent's tendencies and mix it up when doing your own combos. Then you've got manuals which are tough to break and require a guess, the difference in strength of linkers, etc. It's mentally exhausting but really deep and rewarding to have the combo game be an extension of the neutral game. Is he going to drop and reset? Is he going to fall into a pattern? Is he fishing for a counter breaker or a lockout? And when you hit it, C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR from the announcer that is probably more hype to be announcing the game than you are to be playing it. Also no resource cost, so if you happen to make a mistake in neutral you aren't necessarily going to get whomped with a 50% combo if you know your matchups or make good reads. It's a unique system that has really grown on me.

Xerclipse

"I saw you staring"
Easily Killer Instinct (2013). The breaker system of matching your opponent's attack strength, counter breakers, and the lockout system forces you to pay attention to your opponent's tendencies and mix it up when doing your own combos. Then you've got manuals which are tough to break and require a guess, the difference in strength of linkers, etc. It's mentally exhausting but really deep and rewarding to have the combo game be an extension of the neutral game. Is he going to drop and reset? Is he going to fall into a pattern? Is he fishing for a counter breaker or a lockout? And when you hit it, C-C-C-C-C-C-COMBO BREAKERRRRR from the announcer that is probably more hype to be announcing the game than you are to be playing it. Also no resource cost, so if you happen to make a mistake in neutral you aren't necessarily going to get whomped with a 50% combo if you know your matchups or make good reads. It's a unique system that has really grown on me.
I have to agree, that is a pretty good system. Free combo breakers which costs nothing, but it will screw you over if you fail at them. You are at least kept active while you are being hit in a combo. The reads become hype. Although I do have a problem with it.

While I am the defending player.
  • Opponent sets up a counter breaker, I see the opponent screwed up, then I try to go for a throw or activate my instinct, but....... I GET INTO THE COUNTER BREAKER. That depends on lag or how precise you are in counting frames.