What's new

Where does the edge come in?

Have a general question about fighting games played at a high level. Assuming no quirks like online lag. When two good players play, where does the edge come from? How well they execute combos? Or something else? My assumption would be that top players can all dial in the combos they want, and connect with them most of the time.

Does it come down to who starts hitting first? with comboed attacks evening out over time, does it come down to pokes? Does it come down to reflexes, or outthinking the other guy? or something else?

ALso wondering about MK9 vs. other games like Street Fighter. Does it favor one play style over another, or have more or less randomness... how does it compare?

Thanks in advance.. hoping for for the benefit of your experience on this one

Have a general question about fighting games played at a high level. Assuming no quirks like online lag. When two good players play, where does the edge come from? How well they execute combos? Or something else? My assumption would be that top players can all dial in the combos they want, and connect with them most of the time.

Does it come down to who starts hitting first? with comboed attacks evening out over time, does it come down to pokes? Does it come down to reflexes, or outthinking the other guy? or something else?

ALso wondering about MK9 vs. other games like Street Fighter. Does it favor one play style over another, or have more or less randomness... how does it compare?

Thanks in advance.. hoping for for the benefit of your experience on this one
I'm not a pro player by any means but I'd assume it comes down to everything you mentioned and using everything effectively in conjunction with everything else.

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
Everything said above. Plus EXPERIENCE and INSIDE OUT matchup knowledge, this is crucial, and more so if you have to fight a rare character. Your knowledge of the opposing characters frame data, traps, and counters. Execution wise, its taken for granted, but the better players would go for the more difficult pay-off combos.

I would also factor in exploiting top tier or overpowered characters until they get fixed or balanced. Ever wondered why only a handful of characters are frequently at the top? Or more represented than the rest? Although this game is much more balanced than say SF. Not saying you can't win, but having the stronger character in the matchup gives you the slight edge, however so little it is.

Antipication is key here. Relfexes, getting inside your opponents head, adapting - great players have this area better.

Then given the amount of mixups in the game, big damage can come off a lucky guess. As you mentioned the randomness. Seems unfair, but great players guess right more often.

Thanks for the answers guys. I'm still new but pretty determined to learn to play well. Working on fundamentals, mix of dojo and online matches, at least an hour or two most days. But understanding where one can gain an advantage, helps me set goals.

Kwon

---->----
Reading your opponent, being unpredictable, making the opponent make mistakes, capitalize on mistakes ie being able to punish efficiently and react quickly to the situation.