What's new

Question - Summoner Where does he stand now?

How good is Summoner now we've saw the meta begin to evolve?

• 2 op plz nerf

• Around the top 5-10

• Mid tier at best

• #BuffQuan

Results are only viewable after voting.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
So I was thinking about how a lot of people thought Quan was straight up broken early on in the game, and according to randoms on xbl he still is, but i've not heard much about him for a while now. Which leads me to this, what does the community think of him now as a whole and where about on the tier list would you put him? (I understand some still wanna stray away from tier-talk but if you do have an idea I'd like to hear it)

As most already know now, he's a glass cannon. His defense is probably the worst in the game due to having no decent armoured moves. However his offense is easily the scariest in the game imo and I think that alone warrants him a place around top 5-ish. With constant guessing between oh and low, dangerous blockstrings and chip damage and arguably the best zoning in the game he can gain momentum from anywhere on screen and can convert pretty much any touch into ridiculous damage and/or a vortex situation, where the opponent can be put into a blockstring and/or be forced into a silly guessing game while Quan builds a ton of meter and can still keep himself safe with the use of Puggles. While he does have his holes, it's not too difficult to play in such a way where no risks are taken while he's still pushing his ridiculous offense.

I do still think we haven't saw Quan played to his true potential in tourney yet, far from it in fact. Anyway I leave you with the question I asked earlier, whats the communities opinion on Summoner now?

tatterbug4

Bug of tater's
I wanna put to op and needs to be nerfed just because earth shaker vortex. But I'm better than that

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
Top 10 for sure, maybe top 5.

Quan players cry about not having a decent armored move, but neither does D'vorah and she's still top 5. His mix-ups and zoning are ridiculous.

EDIT: If he had a decent armored move in summoner he would be #1.
Completely agree, I actually think it balances him out too but there's no denying it is a glaring weakness that, with a cast full of post-knockdown pressure, a lot of characters can exploit. Let me repeat though I still think he's easily around top 5 and obviously needs no buffs whatsoever.

Shark Tank

I don't actually play these games
His combination of really strong mix-up+ vortex + high damage combined with the rare ability to actually zone once in a while means he's pretty easily top ten. I wouldn't nerf his mix-ups him without compensation zoning buffs. I think he's fine right now even though I 60% hate him.

EMPRESS_SunFire

Regina George of discord
Completely agree, I actually think it balances him out too but there's no denying it is a glaring weakness that, with a cast full of post-knockdown pressure, a lot of characters can exploit. Let me repeat though I still think he's easily around top 5 and obviously needs no buffs whatsoever.
Yeah, getting a knockdown against him is the ONLY way a character can stand a chance against him, but honestly the same can be said about his zoning and vortex against everyone else. I think he is top 5.

Insuperable

My mom tells me I'm pretty
Summoner and Sorcerer are just outside of top 5. Only way he would be top 5 is if his ex rune was safe between b32. I'd bend over all of these Quans getting away with all of this nonsense. Jump skull to bat LOL

Blonde_Huntress

Edenian Witch <3
I'd say he's definitely a top character. He's got really awesome tools to work with, but that defense and lack of armor hurts when he's getting pressure of almost any sort.

On a side note, I do love watching a good Quan. I wish Warlock got a bit more love.

xInfra Deadx

Gimmick stolen by Jordan Peele
Still a top 10 character...maybe top 5. Both Summoner and Sorcerer's traits can reach intolerable levels if used right.

So I was thinking about how a lot of people thought Quan was straight up broken early on in the game, and according to randoms on xbl he still is, but i've not heard much about him for a while now. Which leads me to this, what does the community think of him now as a whole and where about on the tier list would you put him? (I understand some still wanna stray away from tier-talk but if you do have an idea I'd like to hear it)

As most already know now, he's a glass cannon. His defense is probably the worst in the game due to having no decent armoured moves. However his offense is easily the scariest in the game imo and I think that alone warrants him a place around top 5-ish. With constant guessing between oh and low, dangerous blockstrings and chip damage and arguably the best zoning in the game he can gain momentum from anywhere on screen and can convert pretty much any touch into ridiculous damage and/or a vortex situation, where the opponent can be put into a blockstring and/or be forced into a silly guessing game while Quan builds a ton of meter and can still keep himself safe with the use of Puggles. While he does have his holes, it's not too difficult to play in such a way where no risks are taken while he's still pushing his ridiculous offense.

I do still think we haven't saw Quan played to his true potential in tourney yet, far from it in fact. Anyway I leave you with the question I asked earlier, whats the communities opinion on Summoner now?
i remember the first time i saw summoner quan against me, i thought he picked the wrong variaton. man i was so wrong he whooped me. i feel like quan had the inferno scorpion day 1 syndrome where he was so good and no one knew how to counter it. but i learned that if you get caught in the mix up just to eat the bat since its a hard knock down. quan in the hands of michaelangelo is top 10 maybe.

The_Tile

Your hole is mine!
His combination of really strong mix-up+ vortex + high damage combined with the rare ability to actually zone once in a while means he's pretty easily top ten. I wouldn't nerf his mix-ups him without compensation zoning buffs. I think he's fine right now even though I 60% hate him.
I would hate to see his mixup nerfs, but I suppose I could see the reasoning behind it. I honestly don't think it's necessary though as there really isn't hardly any hybrid rushdown/zoning characters in this and normalising him would only reduce the amount of character archetypes available.

Yeah, getting a knockdown against him is the ONLY way a character can stand a chance against him, but honestly the same can be said about his zoning and vortex against everyone else. I think he is top 5.
I don't agree. While he is a pain Quan just suffers from pressure in general, whether it be frame traps, blockstrings or knockdown pressure as he can't abuse any gaps in strings, meaning characters like D'vorah, who you basically need armour to fight against, can be a very bad mu. It is hard but once you understand how to block his mixups it becomes a lot less overwhelming imo.

Summoner and Sorcerer are just outside of top 5. Only way he would be top 5 is if his ex rune was safe between b32. I'd bend over all of these Quans getting away with all of this nonsense. Jump skull to bat LOL
I agree, I still think Summoner is a more well rounded character that Sorcerer though and would probably be slightly higher up the tier list than it.