What's new

What's the best way to lab against a character?

OwtQue

PSN: iiPuREWreQMoDe
I notice a lot of people want to learn how to use characters, and they go to YouTube or come here for combo guides.

But what about learning to tight against a character (other than just going online). I'm not too savy with certain settings in practice mode (which I'm assuming is part of the answer to my question). I don't always know other characters best buttons and strings so labbing against them is difficult for me.

Do you guys have any tips for me when it comes to being more efficient with this?

RoboCop

The future of law enforcement.
Administrator
Premium Supporter
It depends on what you’re trying to lab. You can practice punishing specials, wakeups, etc by setting the opponent to do those things. If it’s a complicated setup, sometimes you have to play as the character you’re learning to beat, set the ai as the character you use, and have them react to things you do.

Zer0_h0ur

XBL tag: South of Zero
I've found learning BnB's and becoming familiar with safe and unsafe strings, using them either in a tower or practice mode, then setting the AI to use them and random hidden playback defend them is the way to go.

ZeroSymbolic

W.A.S.P.
Find somebody that mains them, and is willing to go to training with you and describe the character data and gameplan.

LawAbidingCitizen

Bomb Setups & Ball Rolls(Mileena/Cyrax)
What I do is:
Learn all there moves, range of thier moves, are three strings unsafe, staggers or safe on block?
Then I find tools that can beat my characters moves and set the AI to do them I then find my perfect spacing to turn that move against them and what move will catch it on Wiff the best.
Then I get familiar with punishing all of thier unsafe moves and what moves I can bait wiffs so its muscle memory.

Then I set AI to do different things that create a 50/50 or guess and practice on building up my punishers for those moves and my reaction time. So when it happeneds on the fly I can easily deal with it optimally. In some cases you may be able to find one of your moves that beats 3/4 of their guess.

Start out with that and then find players who can beat you with each character you are having issues with and play them multiple sets, find what caused you to lose (your owN mistakes) and weed out bad habits. This should make you familiar with the MU's and get better with your main.