What's new

General/Other - Unbreakable What Went Wrong?

Samsara

Resident Cynic
I don't even know what this variation is supposed to do anymore. It's design feels very confused: this variation was branded as "ultra-defensive", but our opponents tend to have every advantage when we use our variation specific tools that are defensive. What's worse is NRS tried to buff his offense to compensate for his under performance and made it's purpose even more puzzling.

Is there any reason NRS thought allowing us to use aura to detonate Frost Burst/Bomb would be better off than just treating us the same as Blood God defense totem? Why speed up EX Aura if the damage gains are marginal and we only get dividends off of F4 (50/50)? Why completely ignore the faults involving the Ice Parry?

What buffs should we have received in the most recent patch? What justification can be made about Subby's damage scaling penalty involving frost ball and aura? Why is his ice mask the only redeeming aspect of this variation? Will they ever fix his Ice Cubed brutality? Are Subby mains doomed to play Grandmaster forever?

Discuss.

Error404

Noob
Well , you're 100% correct. If the variation doesn't get made into either a defensive or offensive variation it will forever suck.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I think unbreakable shouldn't have been in at al. This game isn't built for it. It should have had additional projectile attacks for better zoning or something. Maybe a teleport variation since he can teleport in the cutscenes and shirt. I dont know, everything about it confuses me.

Rickyraws

This mean you don't like me?
Unbreakable isn't really a case of a decent variation being overshadowed by two others.

It isn't really a case of having enough to hold his own but not win MUs or do something the others don't either.

Unbreakable is just straight up a confused variation. Offense, defense, zone control, zoning, damage. Which category does he fit in due to his playstyle's malleability?

Speed up his parry, make MB party freeze airbornes, increase his damage, have instant recovery after parrying a projectile etc. etc. etc. are all things people have been postulating, and for good reason. Tool wise, what is an Unbreakable's main purpose?

Sucks because I find Unbreakable pretty fun.

He needs some love if he's going to go from being flawlessed to being flawless.

Get Paulo on the phone....

It's time for the Bane treatment...

Samsara

Resident Cynic
Sucks because I find Unbreakable pretty fun.
I also think it's the most fun to play out of the three, the problem is it's hard to find an 'optimal way' to play the variation like Cryo or GM. The gameplan for Cryo is so unbelievably braindead its bored the hell out of me, and Grandmaster only ever feels fun when my opponent is cornered but there's all this bullshit I have to work around if my character is male/female and it feels like a chore.

I'd be entirely fine if Unbreakable never did a combo above 30% if we could at least turtle our way to victory, but we can't even do that. It makes me sad. I think instant shield recovery sounds great. Maybe if aura acted like Blood God totem it would be more viable---- who knows.

UsedForGlue

"Strength isn't everything"
They turned tempest into the number one variation in the game with a few simple buffs.

It could very easily be done for Unbreakable with advantage MB aura shatters on block, plus the same damage and meter building that blood god total kahn gets.

Job done.

boba_buster

Noob saibot
Problem is there not going to fix unbreakable , meterless aura links are damn near impossible online. Which leaves parry as the only reason to use him. They only way to use parry effectively is to find tech that's going to make it work 100% of the time and not be such a risk. To do this first off you have to have very good knowledge of different mu's. You have to know your opponents strings and make them whiff the start of the combo to that you have enough time to input the parry and guarantee they will hit it. Which means you have to be patient and be able to identify there strings that advance far enough to move them to you. We need to make his game plan about space control and not about randomly throwing the parry out hoping we catch them. Another thing we need to do if find the gaps inbetween pressure strings , not jus gaps in the strings them selves but gaps between the actual separate strings themselves that everyone uses , jax or lui for instance can run strings on you all day long but when can we throw the parry and catch them without taking a large chance of them knocking us out of it or being able to make the read and stop there pressure. With the right matchup knowledge we can shut down there offense better than gm could ever dream to but to do it we need find how to do it as tech and not a "well I think there going to hit my parry"

PPJ

()
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
as far as viability there's probably nothing wrong, as far as identity then we have a discussion

ColdSpine

"I wore those colors before you"
- parry instant recovery on blocked projectiles
- remove damage scaling from aura
- mb parry should parry jump ins
- b12 or f4 into aura is plus 2 or 3 to set up scenarios
- blocking while in aura negates chip damage and BUILDS meter

cant we just get along ?