What's new

Question - Heavy Weapons What purpose is LAW Cancels?

Flurry22

BFGC | Station
I main Heavy Weapon Jax. But recently I began thinking what is the purpose. Jax's cancels are not plus frames so your opponent can poke out at all times. There is no pressure or grab mixup because your opponent can just do a fast normal. People argue that you can bait armour moves but anyone who is smart or knows the matchup will just poke out instead of wasting meatre and possibly doing an unsafe move.

GuerillaTactix

#bufftakeda
I don't play Jax so this is my outside opinion but I think what gets me about the cancel is that he always had the option to finish the string as opposed to canceling it. If I'm committed to blocking in my head and they cancel I end up blocking the next string or eating the mix up which if I poke out of it next time he'll just finish the string and bop me anyway.. It's really just the mind game of it all really. Does he finish the string or not? Because if he doesn't cool I poked into pressure but mine ends eventually and he's great at getting it back.. So I'm risking that poke on the off chance they won't finish the string and that scares me into holding block the whole game. Lol!

Pretty sure its to make it so you can start your combos safely , for example in other variations you have to do b3 into oh dash which is -23 in hw you can do b3 rocket cancel if they block it you are completely safe if they don't you can confirm by doing 123 into overhead punch i think thats how.

omooba

fear the moobs
the thing about LAW cancel is it's pretty fast. even though f1,2 is plus. f,1,2 LAW cancel gives them less time to react.
also 1,2,3 goes into combo or more dmg. no other variation gets that. same with b3 and he get's more meterless dmg midscreen

yo jax is nasty

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
the thing about LAW cancel is it's pretty fast. even though f1,2 is plus. f,1,2 LAW cancel gives them less time to react.
also 1,2,3 goes into combo or more dmg. no other variation gets that. same with b3 and he get's more meterless dmg midscreen

yo jax is nasty
Although new to Jax, I'm pretty sure pumped up gets the most mileage off 123 combo at 40 something percent. If that is what you're referring to

omooba

fear the moobs
Although new to Jax, I'm pretty sure pumped up gets the most mileage off 123 combo at 40 something percent. If that is what you're referring to
i meant meterless and i'm surprised i said that actually cus i strongly believe HW makes the best use of 1,2,3 but not in how i said it.
HW makes you be able to pressure and combo 1,2,3 by using LAW cancel and just increases jax's mind fuckabilty

As a guy main in SF I can tell you that the frames aren't the point. It's when the cancels happen in strings and what you do after that matters. You can mix it up to the point where anything other than them blocking is them taking a risk, after the cancel you have options to beat out pretty much anything and the risk of eating a low poke doesn't outweigh the positive of you armoring through it into a full combo. I don't play jax but I assume it's the same concept.

ETC AdmiralAugustus

Grabble Frazzled
i meant meterless and i'm surprised i said that actually cus i strongly believe HW makes the best use of 1,2,3 but not in how i said it.
HW makes you be able to pressure and combo 1,2,3 by using LAW cancel and just increases jax's mind fuckabilty
I can dig it

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
If their poke is just a frame tooslow, you can armor it for a full combo blow up, too

Forbidden_Donut

"You think you bad? Pffft, You ain't bad.."
Hw jaxs main asset is hit confirmability, 123 rocket cancel in the corner is absolutely devastating. Breaks 99% of armor, can be hit confirmed, and is completely safe. He gets the same hit confirmability off of all his amazing strings, 123, 23, b3, 11, f21(even though this string is completely hit confirmable without a rocket cancel.)

Outside of that advantage, I think pumped up and wrestler are the better variations overall, but not by much. Jax is amazing no matter what variation you choose lol

Odyessus

New PSN: XShdwX_Odysseus
Here are my top POINTS for LAW cancels:

1. LAW cancel makes multiple unsafe strings safe. You have to be on point but 123rc is safe. I will 123rc block the poke and return fire. LOL it is almost a pressure string. 123rc, block poke, 123. (Tons of meta gaming can happen to this. A bad one being the opponent slapping you with a command grab) So a measly poke is not the way to stop the pressure.
2. Builds meter. This isn't a biggy but it does help
3. This is the most important one: LAW cancel's make hit confirming so much easier. I almost never miss an opening.

Standing 4 is like +15 by the way.

AND I just noticed how old this post was. I've to to far now.