What's new

Question What makes d4 interrupt vs specials?

Vagrant

Noob
Since picking up sonya I quickly noticed that d4 ms would stuff specials sometimes and other times sonya would get hit. NWs axe and Noobs upknee are 2 examples I can remember off of the top of my head. Does anyone know what the factors are in d4 stuffing the special sometimes and not other times? Is it just whoever hits the button first?

maybe because the d4 doesnt have a regular hitbox like normal d4's. the d4 has huge range so maybe her foot doesnt have a hurtbox.

Winter

Alfred Hitchcock reincarnated.
different special moves require different timing in order for the D4 to interrupt.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Sometimes d4 knocks Raiden out of superman, even though it looks like he goes completely over it. The move has a strange hitbox

Justice

Noob
Is this on wake up? I mean most nw players do not just throw out random axes at d4 range.
For me, it's usually a reaction because when they see me dash in, they know either a D4 or a 1 cancel is coming. I've started working a Block cancel into the mixup but after I block the first Up Ax, I'll try to counter-poke and get blown up by a second one :(

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
Sometimes d4 knocks Raiden out of superman, even though it looks like he goes completely over it. The move has a strange hitbox

Yea, it's really weird.

The second one is even weirder than the first as he's literally above me and I still stuff the Superman with the D4.

4x4lo8o

Noob
Yea, it's really weird.

The second one is even weirder than the first as he's literally above me and I still stuff the Superman with the D4.

In that second one, did you start the superman right there, or was it from farther out? In the first one Raiden's probably just getting stuffed in his start up frames. It's annoying because you'd expect the move to clear the ground fast enough, but it sort of makes sense that you get knocked out of it.
You might be showing it in the second, I can't tell, but Raiden can actually start his superman outside of d4 range, like at full or midscreen, and Raiden will still get knocked out of superman. It's really annoying, since in most cases Raiden would win in that situation. Sometimes she'll just be using d4 carelessly and I'll try to whiff punish with superman, but I'll be too slow and get hit by a 2nd d4 she just mashed out.
The other thing is that once in a while if the d4 doesn't beat superman, the superman will go right over her. I've never been able to replicate it intentionally, but I've had it happen to me a couple time during matches.

Compbros

Man of Tomorrow
The guy started the Superman right there, I whiffed a F4 and went straight to D4 and he did Superman.