What's new

What kind of controller should I get? (Not looking for a Fight Pad)

My standard 360 controller has been horrible with inputs for around the past 2 weeks, so I decided to buy a Razer Onza Tournament Edition.. Well, that was a bad idea. The D-Pad is absolutely HORRIBLE for this game (In my opinion). And the analog is super unresponsive. It's great for CoD and stuff like that, but not for MK.

So, I'm wondering.. What's a good controller (With a good D-Pad) for MK? I don't want a fight stick. I just don't like the looks of them/how big they are.

I'd like a regular controller, but with a good D-Pad. Also, I don't want something EXTREMELY expensive.

I'm a bit skeptical about buying any new controller after buying the Onza, TBH.

@Loot: I was looking at that controller earlier, actually.. How good is the D-Pad for MK? Onza's D-Pad SEEMS like it'd be good, since they're separate, but it's HORRIBLE. I can't instant air fan with Kitana AT ALL. Can you iAf/iAs etc with it? Is it responsive? Also, how long did it take to get used to the LB/RB buttons being close to the A/B/Y/X buttons?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just don't wanna get screwed over again.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
PDP Versus Fight Pad [XBox360] [PS3]

This controller is amazing for fighting games in general, especially games like Soul Calibur where you have to hold multiple buttons down at a time. It works fairly well for MK too: I could actually play using only five buttons plus the D-Pad, and I don't need to force R2/RT in to get a reaction.

Best part is that it's typically cheaper than the 1st Party controller.

I would take loots advice and get the hori pad. Its awesome, I own one too. The DPAD is very good and accurate. The buttons are a bit smaller than your standard controller but w/e you get used to it. The only cons about this controller is that they break easily. The analog sticks are known to have ghosting issues and the buttons arent too good, they can get stuck as well. Im on my third one already. But, then again, I have too much pressure in my hands. I got a grip of 195 pounds lol I use COC grippers alot and do lots of pullups. So I'm not sure if that makes a difference. And, I abuse my controllers alot.

Loot

the special effects
I'm a bit skeptical about buying any new controller after buying the Onza, TBH.

@Loot: I was looking at that controller earlier, actually.. How good is the D-Pad for MK? Onza's D-Pad SEEMS like it'd be good, since they're separate, but it's HORRIBLE. I can't instant air fan with Kitana AT ALL. Can you iAf/iAs etc with it? Is it responsive? Also, how long did it take to get used to the LB/RB buttons being close to the A/B/Y/X buttons?

Sorry for all of the questions, I just don't wanna get screwed over again.
The Dpad is amazing for IAF and the 6 button layout is otpional, you still have the bumpers and triggers

The Dpad is amazing for IAF and the 6 button layout is otpional, you still have the bumpers and triggers
Awesome. How long have you had yours for? Have yours broken like GodsLonelyMan's?

I'm really considering buying this now. Just about everyone I've asked has recommended this.. I'm a little worried about the easy breaking, though. I don't want to have to pay for a new controller every month :p

get the silver xbox controller. it's all I use for MK ad mvc. the d pad can be changed to a 4 way and it makes it very accurate. it's a awesome controller.

Loot

the special effects
Awesome. How long have you had yours for? Have yours broken like GodsLonelyMan's?

I'm really considering buying this now. Just about everyone I've asked has recommended this.. I'm a little worried about the easy breaking, though. I don't want to have to pay for a new controller every month :p
Had mine since April

get the silver xbox controller. it's all I use for MK ad mvc. the d pad can be changed to a 4 way and it makes it very accurate. it's a awesome controller.
I was also considering this BEFORE I got the Onza, I heard a lot of bad reviews about it. I heard that the D-Pad is really easy to break. :(

Had mine since April
Nice. You've convinced me to buy the Hori EX2 :p.

Thanks to everyone who replied. I'm still open to suggestions if anyone thinks I can find a better controller, but for now, it looks like I'm going with the Hori.

Urfost

Noob
I would not recommend the pdp versus, the layout is nice, but that hybrid stick/pad with micro switch is bad on MK (on SF4 it's just terrible) it does click wich is nice to get a feedback but way too slow, especially to dash or cross jumping since you constantly have to replace your thumb. I think the 360 dpad is even better than this thing..
I was really disapointed with it, cause of the shape that i like, how you hold it, the buttons are also very good even if they feel cheap, they are responsive with short course and clicky, the well placed start/select buttons.. but the "stick" ruins everything to me. It could have been the best controller with an Hori d-pad like instead.
So ps2 dualshock with a converter or Hori EX2 are the best choice for the x360.

timmo

Noob
do not get a mad cats sf4 pad there are junk i got one and while it was great to use it lasted 3 days before the receiver died and no its just a paper weight stay well clear of it

Urfost

Noob
I also find the d-pad terrible on the Madcatz, it's just an oversized x360 d-pad to me and sounds it is about to break anytime. Im now playing with a PS1 controller before i switch to an AIAB, with a converter and it works great, linking moves like never before with this one. It's a +10 years controller but still one of the best for fighting game i think. I know some players used it at Evo, the non analog buttons (and no sticks) are also an edge for that kind of game.

ELC

Scrublord McGee
I would not recommend the pdp versus, the layout is nice, but that hybrid stick/pad with micro switch is bad on MK (on SF4 it's just terrible) it does click wich is nice to get a feedback but way too slow, especially to dash or cross jumping since you constantly have to replace your thumb. I think the 360 dpad is even better than this thing..
I was really disapointed with it, cause of the shape that i like, how you hold it, the buttons are also very good even if they feel cheap, they are responsive with short course and clicky, the well placed start/select buttons.. but the "stick" ruins everything to me. It could have been the best controller with an Hori d-pad like instead.
So ps2 dualshock with a converter or Hori EX2 are the best choice for the x360.
I dislike derailing threads, but I'd like to have a debate with ya on this (mostly because I don't want to feel like I wasted $40 :p)

I disagree that it's slow. In fact, it's easier for me just to move my thumb left-to-right or down-to-up with the PDP pad than it is to press a direction, lift my thumb over the middle so I don't hit a wrong direction, then hit the other direction on a Dualshock 3. The indent for your thumb and the stocky nature of stick also helps with precision, something which analog sticks in general don't have.

Only bad thing about it, imo is doing shoryuken movements: the stick likes to go from F,D,D+F can easily turn into F,D,D+F,F on accident.

Urfost

Noob
Don't you have issues for cross jump? i do the "shoryuken" fine with it. Maybe it's a matter of character too, seems you play Scorpion and Reptile, i mostly play Jade and a bit of sub-zero/Cyrax. I never got used to it after weeks of trying with this pad, but again i like everything on it except that stick. I hope PDP will dig further into the concept, im sure they can improve it but for now im back on PS1 controller.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
There's no way the Madcatz pad should garner that kind of criticism. I've had mine for a month now and it works as well as when I bought it. Not only that, but I consider it better than ps3/2 pads and PDP pad. Does it look like an oversized 360 controller dpad? Yes. Does it work like one? Hell no, it's perfect.

I agree about the PDP Versus Pad, best FG controller ever, if it werent for that damn thumbstick. I can do multi-button combos easily and most things seem effortless, until I start trying to actually move around. They should have stuck a regular dpad on it, I feel myself not clicking down but having to press at an angle to get a click, not good.