What's new

Question - Flame Fists What is the best way to counter flame fist pressure?

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
I'm at a loss here people, help me out! I sit there low blocking and get chipped to death or opened up. How do you counter that annoying bastard?

thlityoursloat

kick kick
Windpill punch into shaolin flame or woaaaaaaaaaaahhh punch has a gap which you can armor through, in fact almost everything cancelled into woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah punch has a gap due to its slow startup. The only true blockstring off of windpill punch is windpill punch xx low fireball, but that's punishable.

TackyHaddock

Salty Mashers Krew
Windpill punch into shaolin flame or woaaaaaaaaaaahhh punch has a gap which you can armor through, in fact almost everything cancelled into woaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaah punch has a gap due to its slow startup. The only true blockstring off of windpill punch is windpill punch xx low fireball, but that's punishable.
So I assume that backdashing never really comes into play as it can against tempest pressure?

WITNESS

Worlds Famous
f213 xx MB SF f12 windmill punch is his block string. At the end of windmill punch you have to guess what special they are going to do. So if they do dragon's roar (db2) you low profile it, armor through or jump out, if they do low fireball punish for full combo, if parry do low starter if you have one or low poke. So in other words this is liu kang's 50/50 game in this variation

Dinosaur

Data Collecting
i love using gunslinger to zone and stuff his ex flying kick with gunshots. But a good liu kang is frightening.

He can do windmill punch backfist ex windmill punch. If yiu guess wrong and try to armor the backfist ajd he does low fireball youre back to square 1. The stupid move is so good because its basically safe, breaks armor and lets him start his insane chip pressure. I dont think there is any surefire counter, liu is actually just really good in this game when you factor in his other tools

Step 1: Pick Cassie
Step 2: Learn reversal flipkick
Step 3: ???
Step 4: Profit
its a guess because he can low fireball you and start his guessing pressure. He can also harass cassie from full screen with iaf and low fireball. Her being able to reversal kick the gap to the backfist cancel is the only thing that doesnt make the mu one sided imo

Phosferrax

Original Liu Kang cop.
Regular windmill punch into regular dragon fist has a gap so big that you can interrupt it with a jab into combo. You must never let a FF get away with WP into Dragon fists repeatedly. You have to make a read as all his options are punishable.

The Highlander

There can be only one
its a guess because he can low fireball you and start his guessing pressure. He can also harass cassie from full screen with iaf and low fireball. Her being able to reversal kick the gap to the backfist cancel is the only thing that doesnt make the mu one sided imo
Pretty sure reversal flipkick beats low fireball, parry does blow it up though. I wasn't making a statement about the match-up though, just that she deals with his pressure better than most.

Redux

Ex Phase
I struggle with this so much lol. Basically the gist of it is if he does ex windmill he is unsafe at -14 or so unless he cancels into Dragons roar (which can be armored in between). Anything else like Low fireball or ex high fireball you have to hold and punish appropiately. reg windmill has a gap that is expoitable as others mentioned.

I also want to add that on knockdown he breaks all of my armor on wakuep if he uses the b12 string as an erron black player, but if you have a great backdash like Kano's (only tried with kano) you can avoid his shenanigans on wakeup if he's trying to stuff your armor.

Last edited:

evolution07

It's too soon to get cocky.
I zone as much as possible with kitana. I have a few friends who use all variations of Liu so I'm good at blocking, but the hard part is guessing the mixups and not letting your opponent get too close and getting a hit in.

The best way is to go into training and do the strings against the AI and see what they're able to counter / punish. It's helped me out a bit, but any good Liu player is dangerous, so always be on your toes and be patient with your blocking and punish at the right time.

RM_Gamer

Noob
after wp he has a few options to counter your punish attempt. ex dragons roar, parry, and low fb. best option is a low profile move that can go under dragons roar. for instance, kotal's d4 will cover dragon's roar because it can go under it, and it will beat parry because lk cant parry a low. against a low profile move his best option is low fb which is about -16 on block. so just mix up your counter options between back dash, low profile and blocking.

Jumping around alot probably aint the best thing against a good lk player since hes got one of the best d2 in the game, iafb and a d3 that low profiles jump ins and is plus on block

SquirtMcGirt

Purple balls covering the screen
i think @WITNESS answered this question very well. This matchup is tough because of the guessing game liu kang creates with his block strings and how he ends them. On top of that his footsies are great (he can wiff punish from about half screen, with armor if he wants lol) and his zoning is pretty good. And the whole time he beats you closer to the corner. You just have to grind it out and get comfortable with how the blockstring mind games work. It also helps if you can
Not let him touch you lol.