What's new

What is a good offense starter with Nightwolf?

Slaya

Noob
I've made some rather good combos with Nightwolf (or at least I think so) but I have difficulty getting back on the offense once people start attacking me. I viewed the Nightwolf Guide and tried moves like 1221 and F31 but they don't have enough range. Lately I have been trying F2 because of the large step in but it still isn't good enough.

BTW Combo is...

F31/23/F2/Etc: Hatchet, B22, E-Hatchet, Dash, 12, QCF2 (Can be Enhanced)

This is a non-corner combo that does around 40% damage (Depending on first attack spring) and is rather easy to do.

spin4u

Noob
I normally mix it up with combos. Doing f3+1 if blocked do f3+b4. The thing about Nightwolf is that his normals cant punish fast characters ranging from Lui kang to not so fast Kano.

I would suggest keeping away with arrows and shoulder ram on jump ins then work on wake up games.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Hmm, so your question is how to re-start the offense after being pressured? It depends on the match up honestly, and the situation. Like spin said, NW doesn't have the speed to punish, but he does have the frames to make nearly everything he does safe. I like to position myself so I can poke whatever they throw out with F+3 or a sweep. You never keep away with NW, that's what I believe. (Especially versus characters like Ermac and Smoke) Also, you can dash cancel into strings. I do that ALOT, and it greatly increases NW's already amazing range.

Here's my combo without meter I like to do:
F+32/122 hatchet B+2~hatchet jab dash jab 122 shoulder 38%

I have this great okizeme game with NW if you wanna know about it. Hit me up here for the deets. ^.^

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I don't think Smoke vs NW is that bad at all. I think mixing lightning w/shoulder rams will make smoke have to come to you. Any full screen whiff and you have meter, EX Shoulder Ram. And w/some chars, sometimes you just have to play defense and wait for an opening. When under pressure, shoulder ram is just too good.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
I have been neglecting my Nightwolf lately but I am a fan of dash d3 and F+3 string mix up, throw a shoulder in and back dash randomly with a lightning. Damn I forget how much fun nightwolf is its such a good feeling when you know you have the person mind fucked trying to guess wtf NF is gonna do.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I have been neglecting my Nightwolf lately but I am a fan of dash d3 and F+3 string mix up, throw a shoulder in and back dash randomly with a lightning.
*stealing this* I feel instantly dumb I never thought of something as simple as d3/f3 mixup. Curse my ignorance

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
*stealing this* I feel instantly dumb I never thought of something as simple as d3/f3 mixup. Curse my ignorance
No worries, thats what this site is for, mess around with it for a bit its fast and looks real deceiving fun stuff. Back dash cancel ex lightning and there just sitting there most of the time trying to block.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
^^ isn't it godlike

The F+3 string is such a huge mix up and personally a big part of my NW game.
You can do the following after a f+3:
Another F+3
Command grab (they block) go into a low to continue pressure
Wait a second and hatchet
Continue to f+3
Grab
B+4
another string
ex lightning
wait a second or two, X-ray
A universal low
...another F+3

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I meant to ask about that, when do you guys use command grab? What are your thoughts on regular and EX grab?

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
I meant to ask about that, when do you guys use command grab? What are your thoughts on regular and EX grab?
I use it during block strings, and when I know they are gonna wake up with something. I threw Sub Zero out of his x and ice slide once on his wake up.

RWDY Nori

Where is crossplay?
I use it during block strings, and when I know they are gonna wake up with something. I threw Sub Zero out of his x and ice slide once on his wake up.
So it IS stronger (more priority) than a regular throw? And is it safe on block?

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
So it IS stronger (more priority) than a regular throw? And is it safe on block?
It might be + on block to be honest, and I don't know about the first question, haven't tested that, but it's possible it is.

iMLGzus

Venom Addict/Space Pope
Trust me...I know first hand about that grab's priorities. I'm most likely the Sub-Zero he's talking about lol.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
Don't put it in every string, you wanna mix it up with more then that throw.
For example one of the pressure strings I do is
F+3 1 command grab, D+3 f+3 (wait) normal grab
Then next time I'll do
F+3 1, d+3 1221 b+4
or
f+3, f+3, f+3 b+4

I have a really hard time getting my opponent off me once they start their offense. Any tips besides a well timed uppercut? Most of the time people just keep me in block stun while jumping back and forth going for cross-ups. It's not impossible for me to get out of but it's just really annoying. I try to shoulder them but usually wiff.

DaiHuu

Nightwolf Mourner
I have a really hard time getting my opponent off me once they start their offense. Any tips besides a well timed uppercut? Most of the time people just keep me in block stun while jumping back and forth going for cross-ups. It's not impossible for me to get out of but it's just really annoying. I try to shoulder them but usually wiff.
If they are not doing any jumps, you can D+3~cancel into anything orr D+4~cancel into anything. If you know they are gonna jump, neutral jump 1/2, or back jump 3/4