What's new

What Do You Think Sub-Zero's Best Variation Is?

Which of his 3 variations is best?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
From your perspective as either a Sub-Zero main or someone who fights against him, what do you think his best variation is?

In my opinion, Dead of Winter is Sub-Zero's best variation but only slightly. Obviously, the ability to combo out of F2, but enhanced iceball is so freaking good and since he only has two specials in this variation, you almost always have meter to abuse it. Unfortunately though, it means giving up slide, which sacrifices a very deadly krushing blow, and an alternative but arguably better counter zoning tool than ex iceball. Which leads to Avalanche which is also arguably his best variation, having slide AND something to cancel into on block with kreeping ice is pretty great. The gimped klone is whatever but can be pretty helpful vs some characters or using sparingly. This is definitely his best corner rape variation with both kreeping ice and nerf klone being there. Thin Ice I think is the least useful, but certainly not bad. Air axe is useful, you keep slide, and DB2 can be good to chip out at the end of the round but other than that, it plus DF2 are slow and garbage. The projectiles imo definitely aren't worth giving up the ability to cancel F2 into something (although Thin Ice F2 is threatening again if slide KB is loaded, but then again Avalanche also has that). But yeah, Dead of Winter I think by just a tiny bit, I seriously am feeling like 51% Dead of Winter and 49% Avalanche, both are legit. That's basically my brain dump on the character, would be interested in your opinions.

Whatever variation you pick, why do you think this, and if you aren't a Sub-Zero main, who do you play that forms your opinion on this?

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I thought that Ninja Killer made a great case for Avalanche in the tier list video that he uploaded about a month ago. Throwing out random f+2 xx EX ice balls is too risky offline (but not against me because I cannot block f+2 consistently on reaction. LOL.) So EX creeping ice keeps you safe and extends your strings. Slide is one of the best punishing and anti-zoning tools in the game. Arctic trap has is no ice clone but definitely has some uses in the corner.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I thought that Ninja Killer made a great case for Avalanche in the tier list video that he uploaded about a month ago. Throwing out random f+2 xx EX ice balls is too risky offline (but not against me because I cannot block f+2 consistently on reaction. LOL.) So EX creeping ice keeps you safe and extends your strings. Slide is one of the best punishing and anti-zoning tools in the game. Arctic trap has is no ice clone but definitely has some uses in the corner.
It can be risky, but I also feel that ex iceball is also super deadly just existing open space, at a certain distance making even throwing a projectile scary. And of course if the person isn't reacting to F2. Avalanche could very well be better though. However, if I'm fighting someone with Avalanche and getting little usage out of slide and they don't seem to be reacting to F2, ill almost always switch to DoW.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Avalanche free. Been saying that since it first came out. Still has mix, just not as big damage but it's SAFE. And that's a great thing when you have shitty and slow mids in MK11. Also pushes them back where you can potentially force a whiff into b1 combo. No relying on hella risky overheads or just having to believe something is gonna hit.

Slide > Shoulder.

Corner Game is better as well.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Kind of bummed about Thin Ice. Before Avalanche was added, it served a purpose simply because of slide. Sub's projectiles should seriously have seen a buff imo, unless they intended for that variation to simply be replaced.

Avalanche is the best variation. It is also the most damaging if you can set up the trap. DOW relies on the mix-up game and has more consistent damage mid screen but the overhead is punishable. Avalanche has the same mix-up but has a safe option for each. You can even F2 into slide KB.

Slide is such a good tool and is so much better then cold shoulder. The good thing is that each variation has a use. The others aren't bad at all.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Avalanche is the best variation. It is also the most damaging if you can set up the trap. DOW relies on the mix-up game and has more consistent damage mid screen but the overhead is punishable. Avalanche has the same mix-up but has a safe option for each. You can even F2 into slide KB.

Slide is such a good tool and is so much better then cold shoulder. The good thing is that each variation has a use. The others aren't bad at all.
Agree they're all useful. Rarely find myself using Thin Ice though

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
I don't use thin ice either bc my play style doesn't cater to zoning. I played it at first over DOW bc of the slide but realized that DOW had amazing punishes and more damage. Then Avalanche came out and I haven't looked back since
Dude even if it did cater to zoning, Thin Ice is bad at that. Slide is just so good that it was worth using. DoW and Avalanche are so easy to switch between, there is no reason not to use both imo.

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Nah I disagree with that one. Air axe is very underrated and covers alot of matchups. You just have to play lame. But I do agree that while I think avalanche is the best, you could easily switch to DOW and wreck shop.
Thing is though when I have air axe still probably rather have kreeping ice. Air axe could have a krushing blow honestly.

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
Kind of bummed about Thin Ice. Before Avalanche was added, it served a purpose simply because of slide. Sub's projectiles should seriously have seen a buff imo, unless they intended for that variation to simply be replaced.
Thin Ice has been trash since day one. They really needed to have a variation with the rising ice or hell even puddle. Just give him something fun to do besides mix. That's why i'm glad they added avalanche so you don't have to rely on it unsafe mix. Problem is, it's still pretty boring. Sub just too bland in mk11

Dankster Morgan

It is better this way
Thin Ice has been trash since day one. They really needed to have a variation with the rising ice or hell even puddle. Just give him something fun to do besides mix. That's why i'm glad they added avalanche so you don't have to rely on it unsafe mix. Problem is, it's still pretty boring. Sub just too bland in mk11
Most characters are pretty stripped down tbh, I think Avalanche is one of the funner ones. MKX handled balance by making everyone stupid and infuriating, MK11 just makes everyone super vanilla. Very very well balanced game though but ughhhh sometimes. I still don't think that Thin Ice is trash as a whole, just because Sub's base tools are decent, albeit unsafe. However, no real reason to use it as it's very clearly the worst variation.