What's new

What do you guys do when someone plays super defensive/turtles?

What do you guys do when someone plays super defensive/turtles? imo this is my raidens worst nightmare, teleport is shut down and theres really no good way to get at people that I know once that is taken away.

Flagg

Noob
People that turtle, do it, not because that is their characters strength, but that is their playstyle.

I've played people that turtle with Jax and Cage, im not joking.

I find turtlers very lame. Just poke throw them, job done.

My issue is raidens pokes and normals kinda stink, like say someone is turtling that has a really good d4 or kitanas d1 or something, inching in and poking/throwing aren't an option :/ Breaking defensive players with raiden just seems really tough.

Raidenwins

Raiden Practitioner
What do you guys do when someone plays super defensive/turtles? imo this is my raidens worst nightmare, teleport is shut down and theres really no good way to get at people that I know once that is taken away.
No character can shut down Raiden's teleport with 100% success rate. Throw a projectile at them or two and then teleport. Perhaps even an EX-Lightning. If they punish your teleport the first time, teleport and hold block to bait a punish and then counter-punish. Or just bait a projectile and EX-Electric Fly through it. You have a full screen punisher with infinite armor, that's the stuff that turtles' nightmares are made from.

Vilén

too smart to play MKX
First off, lose the mentality that teleport is how you get in on people. It doesn't work like that.

Anyway, dealing with that shit depends on the habits of the turtle. If they're really stubborn about it, just walk them forward until their back is to the corner and they'll probably take a risk to get out of that situation. Thunderballs are good for baiting people. If they're looking for a teleport and you're at 3/4ths screen inward, they're not looking for superman, so that will probably catch them.

I really can't do more than give vague tips unless I know exactly what these turtles in question are trying to pull.

GamerBlake90

Blue Blurs for Life!
Raiden's a master of controlling the entire screen, how exactly can one zone against him forever? And no, I do not say this solely because of his teleport.

If all they're gonna do is stand back and look for the teleport, take the opportunity to toss out some lightning orbs in order to build your meter and maybe get some chip damage. There are some characters I do not advise trading projectiles with, but Raiden recovers fairly quickly after tossing one out, so if you have a good amount of distance you should be fine.

What I also do is use Vicinity Blast from a distance. Pointless? Not entirely, because it too builds meter and has great recovery. Plus you never know when they may try a jump-in, so chances are the blast may catch them by surprise. Now don't try this constantly, because this too carries the risk of leaving you open to a projectile.

You can do what Raidenwins suggested and enhance your superman to armor through a projectile, BUT be wary of doing this. Some characters can recover in time to block the attack after tossing out a projectile from full-screen distance. This is something you will need to sharpen your precision skills for. You might also teleport the instant they do release a projectile, so that they may not have enough time to counter it.

You get them up near the corner with Raiden and the opponent may wind up in trouble. Be ready for them to try jumping, teleporting, or using armored moves to fend you off. It all comes down to who makes the right read in that situation.

Keep in mind, teleporting isn't the only way for Raiden to move around. A lot of Raiden players abuse it, so the turtlers may keep looking for it rather than expect you to try approaching on foot. This can help to confuse them. Give it a try sometime, but keep that defense up just in case. Dash-blocking would be a good idea for both movement and defense.

K, I'll work on it.

My worst matchups right now are vs mileena and kitana, d4d4d4d4 d1d1d1d1d1d1, I cant get any offense going at all. This is a little different than my turtling issue but didnt think I needed to make a new thread. Ideas on how to deal with this and get some damage going?

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
I just bait Raiden out. F3 3 nut punch on reaction to teleport; forces the Raiden player to switch tactics. From what I've seen online (not that this should be taken much for granted) but there's a good deal of people out there who don't know how to advance without teleport. Certainly recommend working on other ways to advance. Sektor, JC and a few others can punish the hell out of teleport.

People that turtle, do it, not because that is their characters strength, but that is their playstyle.

I've played people that turtle with Jax and Cage, im not joking.

I find turtlers very lame. Just poke throw them, job done.
Yes, you're going to come to me with teleport; so I'm going to wait it out and punish you for it. It's not that difficult of a concept to get, you just need to develop other means of an offense other than teleport. I have no incentive to advance when you're constantly going to be the aggressor with teleport. You're using Raiden as a gimmick, there's more to him than that. But, this has become my general Raiden strategy since the vast majority of people I've played insist on playing him this way.

xenogorgeous

.... they mostly come at night. Mostly.
Would like to see a Raiden player winning some major tourney ..... Raiden is pretty solid character, pretty dangerous, and , probably among the hardest character to try to zone against .........

I will try :D
heh, that quan chi of yours is pretty ruthless forever king :) Would like yo see your Raiden.

I'm asking so much stuff because I have a tournament Sunday, wanna get a lil better. So, teleport gets shut down, so I try dashblock poke etc to get in and get a shot at b312 cause it has decent range. My biggest issue like I said atm is long range pokes totally shutting me down like mileena and kitana, they are waiting on tele, and just poke me away when I try to advance without it :(

I would just sit back out of the pokes and try to react to their attack but they can get in much easier and the second they are in trouble just poke. Like kitanas f21(i think) launcher that safely goes into poke etc.

raiden is a jump kick character that will help against d4 and d1 because of the reach, also u can hit confirm his jks in some situations with superman, or if they block ur jk u can still poke and prod afterwards if u land the kick low enough, jips are actually overrated

B W1zZ

Noob
heh, that quan chi of yours is pretty ruthless forever king :) Would like yo see your Raiden.

I'm asking so much stuff because I have a tournament Sunday, wanna get a lil better. So, teleport gets shut down, so I try dashblock poke etc to get in and get a shot at b312 cause it has decent range. My biggest issue like I said atm is long range pokes totally shutting me down like mileena and kitana, they are waiting on tele, and just poke me away when I try to advance without it :(

I would just sit back out of the pokes and try to react to their attack but they can get in much easier and the second they are in trouble just poke. Like kitanas f21(i think) launcher that safely goes into poke etc.
Against pokes like mileena's D4 and kitana's D1 you could try counter poking with a D1 or D3 immediately after you block it to break their offense, then either dash in and D1/D3 or go into a F24 or B312 etc. Remember that most characters are generally at a disadvantage after a poke is blocked. I usually use D1 as my main counter/rushdown poke since it does 2% damage, and D3 mainly to break offense and open up a F24.

If a D1 anti airs you can do dash standing 1 shocker, F2 vicinity blast B3 superman for a 29% combo, but you gotta be fast with the dash 1 shocker.

If you're playing against a turtle and you got a life lead, turtle them instead to make them try and rush you down. If they attempt to jump in from a distance do a standing 1 vicinity blast dash shocker to anti air or ex shocker.