What's new

Question - Piercing What changed since Vanilla?

Sulfur

Winning feels better when you take a little damage
Someone wanna tell me?
I've been away from MK for a while, just getting back into it. I was maining Mileena in MKX but that was when she was considered mid/mid-low. Now I see people putting piercing among the best in the game? What did they do to her that made her better?

Damaja325

Stylin' & Low Profilin'
Someone wanna tell me?
I've been away from MK for a while, just getting back into it. I was maining Mileena in MKX but that was when she was considered mid/mid-low. Now I see people putting piercing among the best in the game? What did they do to her that made her better?
she was always good. they just nerfed the top tiers so now she's moved up a bit. and they sped up her pokes and removed some recovery from sais. she's solid.

Sulfur

she was always good. they just nerfed the top tiers so now she's moved up a bit. and they sped up her pokes and removed some recovery from sais. she's solid.
I always thought she was insane! It's why I mained her.

I don't really play her much these days shes kinda boring but still, I was wondering why my former main is held in such high regard now.

Sulfur

I don't really play her much these days shes kinda boring
I dropped Mileena because her gameplay was pretty boring to me, (abuse b+1 2 until you can hit confirm a roll) and at the time Sonya was (or even still is) considered the better character, which had my interest (also she has her killer "call on me" alt). After playing her I found Sonya to be a more fun character than mileena (although I was still better with mileena, and still am better with mileena) so she's who I play now. I have no clue where Sonya is on the tier list as of right now though. Regardless of that, the odds of me returning to main mileena are slim. If anything I'd be going Johnny Cage.
She still makes for a solid easy to play secondary though.

In that post I said I was playing covert ops, which I'm not anymore. I find Special Forces WAY more fun.

Last edited:

TheGabStandard

The anticipation is killing me
Someone wanna tell me?
A lot changed from the vanilla days over a series of patches, but I guess it can be best summarised with the following:

Better frame advantage on hit
Faster pokes
Better frame advantage on block
Reduced recovery on sais
Fixed a lot of her bugs.

evolution07

It's too soon to get cocky.
I always thought she was insane! It's why I mained her.

I don't really play her much these days shes kinda boring but still, I was wondering why my former main is held in such high regard now.
She's more annoying to fight against and is the only character that makes me salty to the point I actually rage quietly inside

Nu-Skoool

Feel the nerf of despair
Thinking back to Vanilla... Christ.
F12 hitbox issue
F344/3 combos that dealt big midscreen damage
Slower normals
Ethereal being useless
Option selects for everything making her ridiculously safe
B1 use to be -16
X-ray couldn't be done while airborne
Low sai wasn't a true low profile
Countless other changes to hitboxes, hit/block advantage

Crimea

Noob
Universal and Piercing changes

5-14-15
Mileena - Tele-Kick can no longer be punished on hit and will combo when special canceled into Air Sai Blast or X-Ray.
Mileena – Can now perform her X-Ray attack while airborne.
Mileena – Improved tracking on X-Ray

6-1-15
Mileena – 1 has 11 startup frames (down from 14)
Mileena – D1 has 9 startup frames (down from 11)
Mileena – 2 has 8 startup frames (down from 10)
Mileena – adjusted hitbox on b3 to hit more consistently

6-23-15
Mileena - adjusted several hitboxes to hit more consistently
Mileena - Low Slash (down FP) no longer pushes opponents away before the active frames
Mileena - increased hit advantage on Rider combo (Away + BP, BP, throw) to 25 (up from -7)
Mileena (Piercing) - now goes into a ducking state during Low Sai

8-31-15
Mileena - Towards+FK now low crushes
Mileena - Towards+FK,BK is now -2 on hit (up from -4)
Mileena - Towards+FK,BK,FK can no longer for 2in1 cancelled out of and is now -9 on block (up from -19)
Mileena - Towards+FK,BK,BK can no longer for 2in1 cancelled out of, is now -11 on block (up from -26), and is now a hard knockdown
Mileena - BK now has 11 startup frames (down from 13)
Mileena (Piercing) - Away+FP is now -6 on block and 8 on hit (up from -16 and -2)
Mileena (Piercing) - Away+FP,BP is now 2 on block (up from -3)
Mileena (Piercing) - Towards+FP is now 2 on block and 9 on hit (up from -8 and -5)
Mileena (Piercing) - Away+BPis now -4 on block (up from -9)

3-1-16
Mileena - Removed 5 recovery frames from Double Sai Blast
Mileena - Removed 3 recovery frames from Sai Blast
Mileena - Removed 3 recovery frames from Air Sai Blast
Mileena - Down+FP now has 6 startup frames and is -5 on block (down from 9 startup and -4 on block)
Mileena - Down+FK now has 8 startup frames and is -6 on block (down from 10 startup and -1 on block)
Mileena - Away+BK has increased pushback and is now -4 on block (up from -8)
Mileena - Towards+BK now has 15 startup frames and is -8 on block (down from 17 startup and -31 on block)
Mileena (Piercing) - Removed 5 recovery frames from Low Sai & Double Low Sai
Mileena (Piercing) - Away+FP is now -2 on block (down from -5)
Mileena (Piercing) - Away+FP, BP is now -1 on block (down from +2)

Most important: a LOT of bugs and whiff issues being fixed

Rozalin1780

Good? Bad? I'm the one with the fans
Glad someone asked this so I wouldn't have to. I've been out of the game for months and just getting back into it. I tried to keep up to date with all the patches, but it seems that Mileena has been a gradual work in progress without any glaring "super buffs".

I gave her a legitimate try upon release, but found her attacks to be way too slow and unsafe. Might have to revisit her again.

She's always been a pain for my main (Kitana) even back then. Seeing her as a threat is nothing new to me. :p