What's new

Question What are these shazam mix-ups that i keep hearing about

Okay i'm a new shazam player and i mean new the only combo i've figured out myself is b3 j2 j2 2 db1 mb 12 bf2 which does 40% also a corner combo that does 67-70% forgot which it's basically with trait up 112 4x or 5x super but i keep seing post's about hard knockdown mix ups i couldn't understand it so can somebody simplify it for me b/c i don't get it all i know for one set ups is mb A.T dash 2x or 3 which ever than do a grab but i don't know if that is right so if any of you online shazam veterans can help i'd appreciate it

and also thank you for reading and sorry if it was hard to understand don't have much time

KIllaByte

PSN: playakid700. Local name: BFGC MonkeyBizness
Some mixups are legit, and some are goofy (but super functional, especially for me.)

KIllaByte

They're pretty complicated, too.
Shazam is a mobile grappler.

Herculean Might grabs standing opponents, who can also be doing standing moves.

Achilles Clutch grabs duck-blocking opponents, or opponents doing low pokes. (anyone holding the down button)

Some Shazam normal strikes generate too much blockstun to be cancelled into one of those above command throws. (This is fair, otherwise Shazam could immediately grab anyone after landing any normal.)

But some of Shazam's strikes, barely generate any blockstun, meaning, they can be cancelled into the command grabs, and the opponent will be hit by whichever command grab corresponds to the way their currently blocking.
The ways to escape are either:
guessing correctly on the 50-50, making the chosen grab whiff
Jumping out, if possible after the normal move strike--
poking out, with a fast move, if possible.

You can mix a bunch of different normal moves to continuously change the way the command grab mixups are escapable.
One of the most common versions of these mixups is 2, 2-- which can be cancelled into herculean might, (will hit stand blockers for combo) Achilles clutch, (will hit low blockers, and low-pokers if they mess up timing) or Atlas Torpedo (Will hit low blockers, jump outers, and low-pokers if they mess up their timing, as the timing for poking out is different. ALSO, THIS IS COMPLETELY SAFE-- and keeps you just out of punishing range when used while you're hitting your opponents-- so you can try hitting your opponents again right after.)

There's a lot of variables, but many of them are in your favor as soon as you land 2, 2.

Especially since you can also cancel the first "2" kick into any of those special moves as well. So, somebody tries to poke out before the second kick in 2, 2 lands? You can cancel into achilles clutch, the low hitting command grab, and get a huge combo on them, as you've now interrupted their down + 1 low poke.

Wanna confuse people?
Cancel into one of your teleports, forward or backward. After a backward one, the opponent probably doesn't think you're going to atlas torpedo right back in, then meterburn that atlas torpedo, which leads to a hard knockdown, where your opponent can't tech roll away-- and you have almost a full second to set up many, many different knockdown mixups, which I'll add later.

KIllaByte

With an opponent Hard Knockdowned from Atlas Torpedo, you can Herculean Might them for free if they don't wakeup, meaning the game becomes Shazam vs wakeups and wakeups only after a while.

After the Torpedo MB knockdown, you can dash and jump over them to try to reverse their inputs-- you can dash three times to cross the opponent up, then use a meterburn overhead anyway for big damage off of armor to beat wakeups and reverse inputs--

You can dash twice and do an overhead MB if they thing you're going to cross-up, Do another super-ambiguous Atlas Torpedo Meterburned for unclashable, almost unguessable and almost unpunishable damage--

you can double dash in, then backdash out to bait and punish wakeup attacks with a Back + 2, 3 combo-- there's a lot of options.

KIllaByte

Big important note--
It is impossible for any non-armored special move (even 6 frame ones) to interrupt either Down + 1 into Herculean Might or Down + 2 into Herculean might.
Mix that with Achilles CLutch, and you have a fifty-fifty getting started as soon as they block a down 1 or down 2, which you are about in the range for, whenever you do a safe atlas torpedo.