What's new

Question What are some good overheads to use on green lantern?

Shake

Noob
Hey guys. I'm really bad at fighting games but have been learning green lantern lately and am running into a bit of trouble. Generally what I try to do is play pretty passive and try to get lifts on my opponent when they try to jump in on me or use back 1 3 to get a combo going, but I'm not really sure what other moves I should be using to try to open up my opponents? I feel like all of my overheads are so unsafe? I mean I could use f2d1 but it always feels really unsafe. Anyway whats ended up happening is my opponents read me after a few games and start blocking low mostly because that deals with lift and back 1 which are my two favorite moves and I just kinda get lost after that. I try to jump in and cross up but it feels really hard to me, I'm pretty bad at hitting any of my jumps and it seems really finnicky to me. Not sure how to improve on that. Any advice would be great on that or some overheads moves I can use that aren't super unsafe?

Thanks.

Shake

Noob
Also, what combos are good that start off of f3? I've been using f3 -> lift -> b3 but it seems like it hard drops them at that point?

Orochi

Scorpion Scrub
The best overhead is F3 but you have to be pretty close, you can also armor it and it will hit through most wake up attacks. What I like to do is when you knock an opponent down with lift or any other move is dash in once in range for an overhead. This way you have two options overhead or b13, it's a guessing game so if you feel like they'll block low go F3, if you feel like they'll use a wake up attack use F3 with armor, if you think they'll block high go B13. I find that most opponents used to green lantern will block high when they see you dash so don't be surprised when they don't block low.

Also if they block your F3 you can check them with B13, it usually catches people by surprise.

Try jumping using J1, it lasts so long that you can either hit them in the air or it will still get them if they stand, a lot of people get caught offguard when you use J1 then 223.

People use what works best for them, I like to use F3, J1, B13, Trait, Lift, 223, MB Lift and cross up for mixup. A stronger version is F3, J3, and the rest but the timing is more strict online.

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
F3 is his best overhead, range is bad so you have to set it up by dashing up after knockdowns and whatnot. It's really good though despite it lacking range, it avoids lots of low/mid attacks and can hit people out of the air if they try and jump at times.

The combo I use is F3 J2 223 lift (no meter) or F3 J2 223 rocket MB 223 lift (1 bar)

BenGmanUk

Get staffed bro
Also, what combos are good that start off of f3? I've been using f3 -> lift -> b3 but it seems like it hard drops them at that point?
Mine are:

f3, j2, b13~trait, LM, 223~LM (trait) 31%
f3, b23~rocket MB, 123~LM (1 meter) 37%

THTB

Arez | Booya | Riu48 - Rest Easy, Friends
F3 is his best overhead, range is bad so you have to set it up by dashing up after knockdowns and whatnot. It's really good though despite it lacking range, it avoids lots of low/mid attacks and can hit people out of the air if they try and jump at times.

The combo I use is F3 J2 223 lift (no meter) or F3 J2 223 rocket MB 223 lift (1 bar)
Dizzyyyyyyy...y u no optimize??? Not 223, b13 trait!

Dizzy

False Information Police Officer
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
Dizzyyyyyyy...y u no optimize??? Not 223, b13 trait!
Hes just an alt, aint nobody got time to optimize his combos :p

But yeah, that surely boosts the meterless damage a fair amount, good call. The GL combo thread seemed kind of disorganized so I couldn't easily steal BNBs and had to pull some out of my ass :(

ll Nooby ll

To Live is to Die
Anyway whats ended up happening is my opponents read me after a few games and start blocking low mostly because that deals with lift and back 1 which are my two favorite moves and I just kinda get lost after that.
Remember that you have other mid hitting projectiles. You can always use minigun or air Oas rockets. I haven't gotten a chance to test it out but the DB2 rockets might also be good as well.

Roko1985

Put down the controller and run!

Doesn't 123 lift does more damage then 223 lift?

KH_Seraph

ҜømbÄŦ Ħøu&Ŧøπ
Kinda curious as to why no one else uses F2D1 for the overhead? You can trait cancel it into lift as well...Looks dirty as hell, too... Just sayin'... (F2D13 links into lift in the corner, as well.) It moves him forward, hit confirmable to lift, and is safe enough on block. People don't actually anticipate this move either, I've found. Throw it out after crossing them up sometime, you might have some luck. They tend to worry about b13 a lot.

F3 is a fantastic overhead too.

I forget which off the top of my head does more damage though... F3 into Jumping 2 then b13? Or b23?