What's new

Question What are skarlet's best footsies tools?

I've been messing around with her some and playing with her vs my bro, but I actually don't know what her best footsies tools are to use and that definitely affects my gameplay with her. It'd be a great help if I knew what they were because footsies are something i'm very good at. Who knows, maybe you'll see me use her in a tournament, my bag of chars is never to big haha.
Eddy Wang
L0rdoftheFLY
Ninj
RedRaptor10

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
F4 Red Dash option select is great. This is useful at max distance, about sweep, for the f4. If the f4 whiffs, since you've already input the Red Dash command of df3, the f43 string will just come out. If the f4 hits or is blocked the Red Dash comes out and if its blocked you can slide, or if it hits you can down slash for all of that damage.

Red dash then Slide is good in the neutral game if you are at the perfect range because the dash covers a lot of space and a slide from max distance is 0 on block and still safe on block otherwise, however a lot of characters knock her out of the dash animation before the slide comes out so I think its important for Skarlet to mix up Red Dash then immediate slide vs. delaying the slide. A lot of people that I play just block low all day cause they can fuzzy any non enhanced overheads, so what works great is to show them you like to slide, show them a delayed slide, let them thinking blocking low means they are safe, that opens up throw attempts after Red Dashes, and blockstring pressure after empty Red Dashes. Again, she is wide open to get hit during the dash but it is a good footsies tool. Sometimes a cover dagger before a dash is nice, an instant air dagger then dash is nice, or even a ground dagger canceled and then dash in is nice too. The daggers are used to lock em down, that gives you room to dash in.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
footsies work in a number of ways. she can fill the screen with daggers the way kitana can to occupy space. Her air far daggers can catch people jumping and comboed with red dash upslash. her daggers are actually as safe if not safer than kabals iafb when done with execution. instant air down daggers can be used to bait attacks. When the opponent commits to an attack, she can just armor through to maintain pressure. after a blocked iadd she is -3 or a hit iadd she is at +12.

empty red dashes close space quickly and can make the opponent flinch or hesitate in response to either waiting for slide...or a potential punish if you do an up slash or down slash. this hesitation is good because it allows opportunity for the "Quan effect". The Quan effect is the opportunity to kill your opponent forcing them to block at the wrong times and let go of block at the wrong times.

knowing how to utilize red dash effectively and either slide or empty dash is very very important. It also varies by MU. Characters with armor need consideration. f43 is ideal as a footsie tool and combo ender in every MU. Why you ask? She is neutral on block which allows her to test her opponent and react accordingly. characters like mileena and sonya might d4 after giving her a chance to instant air down dagger. If mileena decides to start throwing sais, skarlet can armor upslash granting a combo. If mileena does nothing she can red dash in and slide or empty dash and block string away to oblivion.

As an anti air, standing 2 is ideal. it has more range than almost any other standing normal. To keep people from jumping, hit 2 and hit it early linking to upslash.

Whiff punishing with f4 is very effective but can be difficult. I land most of my f4 off of counter armor on wakeup and jip.

Thanks for all the help guys, appreciate it alot. I'm going to actually put time into her because I feel i can get her some of that good ol top 8 action, and i'm sure yall will too in future majors. Consider skarlet added to my list of chars :). These footsies tools will help me work on my spacing with her and punish ppl accordingly and footsies are something i'm a beast at haha.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Thanks for all the help guys, appreciate it alot. I'm going to actually put time into her because I feel i can get her some of that good ol top 8 action, and i'm sure yall will too in future majors. Consider skarlet added to my list of chars :). These footsies tools will help me work on my spacing with her and punish ppl accordingly and footsies are something i'm a beast at haha.
Shit just got real.

Sent from M-Class Star Freighter USCSS Nostromo

How can your bag of characters never be too big when there are only 33 characters?
because i put some in, take some out, and some just stay. It just depends on who i feel like playing, i could beat ppl doing hidden cursor random select if i want to(casuals only of course haha), but yeah i like adding characters to see if I can do work wid em in tournament.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Dont throw f2 string out in open space you get jumped and raped. F4 and D4 are good, but backdash~red slide will get you alot of love.

Saltea Moonspell

"Mind Over Matter" I dont mind, and X dont matter
F4 is possibly the fastest great ranged footsie tool of the game. You can AA with, whiff punish with, play foosties with, start combos with, Counter Read with, all this in 13f.
www.youtube.com/watch?v=eKWAnHOgfBo

Everything is already been said.
Hello Ed!
In this video of yours You bring some good example of how to punish whiffed Cyrax strings.
My question to You Eddy Wang is regarding Cyrax's 12 string. I strongly believe that second hit has great priority over almost every string I ever tried with Skarlet and other Characters. As we know, Skarlet has great f43 range, good start up and it is neutral on block, however this string and every other i tried to counter Cyrax's 12 is a failure, to the degree that i lose almost every interrupt attempt. I cant deal with him constantly dashing in with 12 mixed with d4. I've tried f43 f1,2,1+2....;-(.
I will try to go along with f4~red dash but I am afraid it wont help.
Maybe someone has an idea how to deal with this Cyrax's 12 string.

Eddy Wang

Skarlet scientist
Hello Ed!
In this video of yours You bring some good example of how to punish whiffed Cyrax strings.
My question to You Eddy Wang is regarding Cyrax's 12 string. I strongly believe that second hit has great priority over almost every string I ever tried with Skarlet and other Characters. As we know, Skarlet has great f43 range, good start up and it is neutral on block, however this string and every other i tried to counter Cyrax's 12 is a failure, to the degree that i lose almost every interrupt attempt. I cant deal with him constantly dashing in with 12 mixed with d4. I've tried f43 f1,2,1+2....;-(.
I will try to go along with f4~red dash but I am afraid it wont help.
Maybe someone has an idea how to deal with this Cyrax's 12 string.
If standing 1 whiffs you can put a F4 inside, or you can step away from both and F4 punish before he recovers. Just don't use F4 to close of him, make him whiff his strings by walking backwards

If your being interrupted by the 1st move everytime you F4, its because you let him be on F4 range without doing nothing on him.

The other good solution to stop this type of rush down is D4 as he dashes in, i nephew play cyrax, i will record our recent matches so you can have an idea of what i'm talking about.