What's new

Wake up options?

Hey guys, been playing alot latey and trying to get to a competitive level. So far i'm told my mix ups are good and my combos are solid...but i'm told i simply use wake up reversals too much. I'll usually roll when my opponent is right in my face...and if they knock me away i'll usually dive kick...both are very bad habits to do every time and usually lead to me eating a combo. I'm looking for some tips on different things to try on wake up.

I know simply standing up and blocking is a pretty good idea...but sometimes it seems to give my opponent too much advantage (ie they jump in punch and just start into block strings or i'll get thrown). Is there any other option? does she have some quick moves i can throw out?

If you got any tips, or even if you just tell me what you like to do or even what NOT to do that'd be awesome!

thanks in advance for any help i can get!

Pistol

Noob
Get familiar w/ other characters' block strings, learn when you're at advantage and disadvantage. Work on teching throws. Sounds like you're always balls off the wall, sometimes you have to play defense. You got a long way to go.

haha, yeah, trust me i know i got a LONG way to go

just seems scary to go on Defense cause you get chip damage from everything, but i guess taking some chip beats taking a full combo to the face. Time to "D" up...i'll try just wake up blocking, and perhaps attempt to get out and go for some zoning options like sai's or something.

thanks for the tips!

BookBurning

Voidwards
The thing with Wakeup Attacks coolasice is that they are supposed to be a mixup option, atleast at their core. Of course if you know that your opponent is doing something unsafe and that your wakeup will punish them for it, then snag that opportunity as expected. But when you do too many wakeup attacks, your opponent, if he's smart, begins to predict them and will begin punishing you whenever you attempt to perform one.

The best thing to say about this is that as soon as wakeup attacks cease to become a mixup and turn into a mandatory thing, that's when problems arise. So sure, do your wakeups, but keep them as a mixup and nothing more to catch your opponent off guard or punish them for passively expecting one to come out.

good way of putting it. I usually try not to just wake up ball or dive...but i guess from playing training mode, the computer, and less skilled opponents it's easly to fall into habit of just doing it.

What is a good mentality for setting up such mind games...i know the ultimate goal is to simply know what your opponent is going to do via learning their habits or conditioning them to do certian things. But if your newer like me and have no such "yomi" skills yet...what is a good mind set to try out...should i perhaps have 3-4 wake up options in my head and simply go though them. So like either just randomize which selection i try...or perhaps try option 1 first, once that fails go to option 2, then the next...or something similar to that.

so example might be:
1. Ball
2. Dive Kick
3. Block
4. Jump out
5. Throw/Throw tech
6. B+3

i'm sure there are multiple better options, but just trying to get the thought process down instead of simply going "random". Are there any specific moves i should try...also what about holding down to stay down...is there a negative to trying that a couple times against rushers?

Runefyst

Noob
Another simple thing I find throws some people off is the simple D+4. It's just the little low poke kick, but if they're blocking, waiting for your ball, it hits low,and pushes them back a little, giving you some breathing space. Dunno if it's a viable thing, but I find it's helped me a little.

D+4 is a good poke. But also, if you're really feeling threatened, and have the meter to burn.... use EX Teleport kick. It's safe from what I can tell. (I couldn't even punish with a Kung Lao spin) you can air sai after the 2nd kick if necessary, and if it hits you get major advantage. I don't see many reasons not to use this move, as it's almost a get out of jail free card on wakeup. You can be hit by some low projectiles at times, but otherwise, go for it if you got the meter.

Pretty sure it has invincible frames at the start. Even if somehow you can, it's still probably your best bet to escape pressure safely though.

Runefyst

Noob
Huh. I'll definitely be trying that. Hopefully it'll help with the Raiden/KL pressure problems I've been having.....