What's new

VS Screen Code Toasty Boost Hint

K7L33THA

Grapple > Footsies
Did anyone else catch this during the SCR stream? Ok Dink was playing MFSlayer and they both did 009-900 VS screen code to which this weird message popped up:

Apparently there are several other of these hidden phrase codes. I wonder if they hold any more secrets. Who knows, but I found this interesting.

Random Phrase 1 P1: 7-1-7 P2: 3-1-3
Random Phrase 2 P1: 4-4-8 P2: 8-4-4
Random Phrase 3 P1: 1-2-2 P2: 2-2-1
Random Phrase 4 P1: 0-0-9 P2: 9-0-0
Random Phrase 5 P1: 5-5-0 P2: 0-5-5
Random Phrase 6 P1: 0-3-1 P2: 1-3-0
Random Phrase 7 P1: 2-8-2 P2: 2-8-2
Random Phrase 8 P1: 1-2-3 P2: 9-2-6

"Don't defend in a temple corrupted with shadow." Referring to the hidden fight with Shadow Saibot.
"The Krypt walls hold secrets." Referencing the secret koin bonuses in the Krypt.
"What lurks at the bottom of The Pit?" Hinting at the hidden fight with MK1 Reptile.
"?SUNOB YTSAOT" The Toasty Boost.
"Who hides in the forest?" Telling us about MKII Smoke being in the Living Forest as a hidden fight.
"Motaro Transformation?" Judging by the other phrases conveying messages about secrets, this makes me react in the following manner: Oh shit.
"She waits for you at the top of the tower..." Giving us a clue about the hidden battle against projectile-immune Jade.
"Thanks for karing!" I have no idea.

AssassiN

Noob
Yea, it's widely known.
They have hidden clues to secrets we already know, except the 6th code that shows "Motaro transformation?"
The whole Motaro transformation thing is a reference to the "Kano transformation" in MK2.

Motaro is not in the game, I checked out the game files and although it was planned to have Motaro in the game he was scrapped(traces left of Centaur keyword).
I found 2 more references to random phrases but they were never implemented:

VERSUS_KODE_RANDOM_PHRASE1=DON'T DEFEND IN A TEMPLE CORRUPTED WITH SHADOW...
VERSUS_KODE_RANDOM_PHRASE2=THE KRYPT WALLS HOLD SECRETS...
VERSUS_KODE_RANDOM_PHRASE3=WHAT LURKS AT THE BOTTOM OF THE PIT?
VERSUS_KODE_RANDOM_PHRASE4=?SUNOB YTSAOT
VERSUS_KODE_RANDOM_PHRASE5=WHO HIDES IN THE FOREST?
VERSUS_KODE_RANDOM_PHRASE6=MOTARO TRANSFORMATION?!
VERSUS_KODE_RANDOM_PHRASE7=SHE WAITS FOR YOU AT THE TOP OF THE TOWER...
VERSUS_KODE_RANDOM_PHRASE8=THANKS FOR KARING!
VERSUS_KODE_RANDOM_PHRASE9=RANDOM PHRASE #9
VERSUS_KODE_RANDOM_PHRASE10=RANDOM PHRASE #10

One thing I'm still investigating is whether or not Brutalities are in the game.
During the sound leak there was a soundfile where the announcer said "Brutality" and that soundfile is still in the retail game.

In the game files I found there was a challenge in the challenge tower where you had to perform a brutality:
NO_MERCY_TITLE=No Mercy!
NO_MERCY_DETAILS="[-]Quick time event!"
NO_MERCY_MSG_1=Focus yourself for the final blow to perform a brutality.

You might be thinking "well, they could just mean fatality or something".
I checked out the other languages:
NO_MERCY_TITLE=¡Sin piedad!
NO_MERCY_DETAILS="[-]¡Evento animado!"
NO_MERCY_MSG_1=Concéntrate para el golpe final y así poder realizar un brutality.

In the French file Brutality is spelled with a capital:
Reste concentré sur le coup final pour effectuer une Brutality.

Other than that it seemed like it was planned to have a stage fatality for Courtyard, but that never happened.
Also, there is no secret private stage fatality for Skarlet.

Hmm.....so the "Motaro Transformation" might not have any significant meaning in MK9 at all. Still, it makes me wonder about any secret things relating to that, and not necessarily having to do with transforming into Motaro.

AssassiN

Noob
Friendships are not in the game but im thinking it might be. Maybe that's what "Thanks for Karing" does.
No, friendships are not in the game.
"Thanks for Karing" is either for "thank you for buying the game" or "thanks for searching kombat codes/secrets"

ThatBoyShark

Shark Tha Gamer
No, friendships are not in the game.
"Thanks for Karing" is either for "thank you for buying the game" or "thanks for searching kombat codes/secrets"
Oh okay. I was starting to think if that's what it does then maybe Nightwolf will transform into Motaro if someone does his friendship.

TotteryManx

cr. HP Master
Yea, it's widely known.
They have hidden clues to secrets we already know, except the 6th code that shows "Motaro transformation?"
The whole Motaro transformation thing is a reference to the "Kano transformation" in MK2.

Motaro is not in the game, I checked out the game files and although it was planned to have Motaro in the game he was scrapped(traces left of Centaur keyword).

One thing I'm still investigating is whether or not Brutalities are in the game.
During the sound leak there was a soundfile where the announcer said "Brutality" and that soundfile is still in the retail game.

In the game files I found there was a challenge in the challenge tower where you had to perform a brutality:
NO_MERCY_TITLE=No Mercy!

NO_MERCY_MSG_1=Concéntrate para el golpe final y así poder realizar un brutality.

Other than that it seemed like it was planned to have a stage fatality for Courtyard, but that never happened.
Technically Motaro is in the game..just in story mode lol. NRS themselves have stated that there is a lot of stuff we haven't found yet. Pako has said it in stream chats several times, but wont tell us what. Personally, I would love for there to be something huge we haven't found yet, like brutalities or something.

AssassiN

Noob
Little bit of googling resulted in me finding a tweet of Ed Boon:
RT @danRX4 @noobde How about Brutalities?? Noobde: Our designers had a pretty cool Brutality system working, but there was no time 2 finish.

So no, Brutalities are not in the game.
Don't think there are any secrets in MK9 anymore, perhaps a few hidden challenges in the challenge tower or something like that.

I did find endings to Kintaro and Goro in the gamefiles(they were doubting about the inclusion of bosses as playable characters):

Kintaro
Kintaro's meteoric rise to glory in the service of Shao Kahn had inflated his ego and his hunger for exaltation.
But his position as the emperor's bodyguard had stifled any opportunity for further achievement or recognition--save one.
After killing Shao Kahn, the most powerful being in Outworld, Kintaro's fame had grown indeed.
He had achieved the notoriety of a traitor. Now hunted by the Centaur, Tarkatan and Shokan, Kintaro lives a life of exile, a victim of his own infamy.

Goro
For millennia Shao Kahn had toyed with the proud Shokan race, continuously demanding they prove their worth against the hated Centaur. Goro slew the emperor, ending this indignity.
He then used Shao Kahn’s blood to paint runic symbols on his body—an ancient Shokan ritual of succession.
Suddenly the runes began to glow, searing Goro’s flesh.
Incredible power surged through him.
Goro became Drathon, the Destroyer Prince prophesized to exterminate the Centaur and reunite the Shokan bloodlines.

Did not find an ending for Shao Kahn, although there are references still left to the cinematic endings for Shao Kahn and Kintaro. Those files are not on the disc though.

TylerLantern

POWER OF FEAR
This whole thing with Skarlet having a secret stage fatality, what was said by Syco Collectibles was not Skarlet specifically had a secret stage fatality, it said, "Pool Party! If rumors are true, Mortal Kombat still hides a couple of secrets, including the Skarlet-based (private) Stage Fatality. Celebrate our Skarlet's reveal by guessing what's the secret doom that hides below the Pit..." so that does not mean that its actually Skarlet who has the stage fatality...It says a "Skarlet-based (private) stage fatality". That would could mean a lot of things. Just because its Skarlet-based does not mean that it is Skarlet who does the Fatality. It could mean its a Fatality that can only be done TO Skarlet. Also, what does the randomly placed word "private" mean? It could mean anything.

Anyway, I definitely believe there are secrets still in MK9. They said from the start that there would be stuff not discovered maybe for even 5 years after the release...I know they were not talking about Babalities or Toasty Boost lol.

AssassiN

Noob
This whole thing with Skarlet having a secret stage fatality, what was said by Syco Collectibles was not Skarlet specifically had a secret stage fatality, it said, "Pool Party! If rumors are true, Mortal Kombat still hides a couple of secrets, including the Skarlet-based (private) Stage Fatality. Celebrate our Skarlet's reveal by guessing what's the secret doom that hides below the Pit..." so that does not mean that its actually Skarlet who has the stage fatality...It says a "Skarlet-based (private) stage fatality". That would could mean a lot of things. Just because its Skarlet-based does not mean that it is Skarlet who does the Fatality. It could mean its a Fatality that can only be done TO Skarlet. Also, what does the randomly placed word "private" mean? It could mean anything.

Anyway, I definitely believe there are secrets still in MK9. They said from the start that there would be stuff not discovered maybe for even 5 years after the release...I know they were not talking about Babalities or Toasty Boost lol.
Sounds logical.
Just went through the files of all the arena's, the ones who don't have known stage fatalities don't have any extra files that would point to them having stage fatality.
The only thing that is out of place, is the fact that Deadpool has 2 folders for stage fatalities.
Foldernames:
DeadPool_fatality
Pit_fatality

Dunno what to make of it, could be that they decided to split the stage fatality into 2 parts.

While searching for more secrets I found something interesting.
It may be that this game has Endurance Mode:

[EnduranceMode]
ENDURANCE_TITLE_0=Endurance
ENDURANCE_TITLE_1=Survival
ENDURANCE_DEFEAT_0=DEFEATED OPPONENTS
ENDURANCE_STATS_0=Endurance Stats
ENDURANCE_STATS_1=Accept
ENDURANCE_STATS_2=Excellent!
ENDURANCE_STATS_3=Difficulty Level
ENDURANCE_STATS_4=Opponents Defeated
ENDURANCE_STATS_5=Time Fighting
ENDURANCE_STATS_6=Flawless Victories
ENDURANCE_STATS_7=Fastest Defeat
ENDURANCE_STATS_8=Total Damage Received
ENDURANCE_STATS_9=Times Hit
ENDURANCE_STATS_10=Special Moves Used
ENDURANCE_STATS_11=Survival Stats
ENDURANCE_STATS_12=FAILED!
ENDURANCE_STATS_13=NONE!

Is there a challenge that has endurance mode? If not we got something new to look for.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
While searching for more secrets I found something interesting.
It may be that this game has Endurance Mode:

[EnduranceMode]
ENDURANCE_TITLE_0=Endurance
ENDURANCE_TITLE_1=Survival
ENDURANCE_DEFEAT_0=DEFEATED OPPONENTS
ENDURANCE_STATS_0=Endurance Stats
ENDURANCE_STATS_1=Accept
ENDURANCE_STATS_2=Excellent!
ENDURANCE_STATS_3=Difficulty Level
ENDURANCE_STATS_4=Opponents Defeated
ENDURANCE_STATS_5=Time Fighting
ENDURANCE_STATS_6=Flawless Victories
ENDURANCE_STATS_7=Fastest Defeat
ENDURANCE_STATS_8=Total Damage Received
ENDURANCE_STATS_9=Times Hit
ENDURANCE_STATS_10=Special Moves Used
ENDURANCE_STATS_11=Survival Stats
ENDURANCE_STATS_12=FAILED!
ENDURANCE_STATS_13=NONE!

Is there a challenge that has endurance mode? If not we got something new to look for.
This could have something to do with how it keeps stats on your play,

if you remember the NRS MK site that would track a bunch of different stats for you, but never really worked that well, and I believe may not even be updated anymore,

some of those look like the stats it tracked

Ninja Edit: www.themortalkombat.com site still doesn't work properly, i just logged in with my old password and stuff, still doesn't track things right,

TylerLantern

POWER OF FEAR
This could have something to do with how it keeps stats on your play,

if you remember the NRS MK site that would track a bunch of different stats for you, but never really worked that well, and I believe may not even be updated anymore,

some of those look like the stats it tracked
Some do look like the stats tracked, but where it says "Endurance" and "Survival", that could be something. I am telling you guys, there are some nice secrets not discovered in this game yet. It is really going to take someone randomly coming across it, or someone from the MK team telling us about it.

It could even be something that can only be done after you get 100% on the trophies. Who knows really.

Jimmypotato

Mid Tier
Some do look like the stats tracked, but where it says "Endurance" and "Survival", that could be something. I am telling you guys, there are some nice secrets not discovered in this game yet. It is really going to take someone randomly coming across it, or someone from the MK team telling us about it.

It could even be something that can only be done after you get 100% on the trophies. Who knows really.
I agree man, it is MK, theres gotta be some other stuff not known.

Johnny2d

Xbl: Johnny2Die
Yea, it's widely known.

NO_MERCY_TITLE=No Mercy!

Boon said in one of the video interviews prior to mk9 launch that they were working on a really cool brutality system but didnt have time to finish it. According to boon it was one of the things he really wanted but it just didnt work out in time for launch. So, I wouldnt be surprised if there was something in the code but doubt there are any hidden brutalities waiting for us.

The secret stage fatalities may be another story. I hope for them, thats for sure, it would be cool just to see something new.

Sent from M-Class Star Freighter USCSS Nostromo

Ninj

Where art thou, MKX Skarlet?
what if we went through all of the characters and tried their pit fatality inputs on skarlet while she's standing in the blood from the blood fountains? that's the logical spot if it's a fatality that's done TO her instead of BY her, right?

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2