What's new

Match-Up Discussion - Kotal Kahn Vs Alien

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Simple question. Maybe I haven't played against Alien long enough, who knows. But in a lot of instances I feel like Alien completely shuts down Kotal because lets face it, Kotal is a pressure/footsies character. With that said, Alien obviously has multiple wakeups across all variations so he isn't the easiest character to keep down and with half screen normals/specials Kotal can't exactly enforce his dominance in footsies. So what do you think is the best choice?

My choices unless convinced otherwise:

Tarkatan - Blood God. Alien enforces better pressure and at least with all the meter building, with Kotal's totem he can build just as much meter and take less damage.

Acidic - Blood God. Now I haven't tested Blood God against Acidic but I would assume this is the best choice because with all the poison stacking maybe the totem can reduce it all? Correct me if I'm wrong or have some sort of insight.

Konjurer - War God. War God I feel like is the best choice to bully Alien so he doesn't get the opportunity to get his shenanigans started with the face hugger and setups.

Any and all insight is welcome. Please contribute.

@YOMI DJT
@YOMI FOREVER KING
@YOMI REO
@cR Dragon
@Pnut

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Since legit replies seem to be in short supply, I'll see what I can add even though I don't play Kotal much.

Blood Gos is probably the best choice vs Tarkatan yeah. At first I thought War God because of armor, but with the mixup between delayed and not delayed rekkas, it's probably best to just have Alien do pretty much no damage to you instead.

Against Acidic it's probably best to go War Gos unless the DoT is significantly reduced with the defense totem up. I feel like having a better option to punish his shenanigans with EX-db1 is a good tool here. You could also argue that if you're full screen, Sun God has a good time because Alien lacks good projectiles to stop you from building Sunny-Tatoos with fdb3 from full screen. This can give you a chunk of health back if you use a bar on fdb1 to get back the health you lost from the chip.

For Konjurer, War God is probably good, if only so you can armor out of a bad setup by the Alien player.

TheGangstaFace

Since legit replies seem to be in short supply, I'll see what I can add even though I don't play Kotal much.

Blood Gos is probably the best choice vs Tarkatan yeah. At first I thought War God because of armor, but with the mixup between delayed and not delayed rekkas, it's probably best to just have Alien do pretty much no damage to you instead.

Against Acidic it's probably best to go War Gos unless the DoT is significantly reduced with the defense totem up. I feel like having a better option to punish his shenanigans with EX-db1 is a good tool here. You could also argue that if you're full screen, Sun God has a good time because Alien lacks good projectiles to stop you from building Sunny-Tatoos with fdb3 from full screen. This can give you a chunk of health back if you use a bar on fdb1 to get back the health you lost from the chip.

For Konjurer, War God is probably good, if only so you can armor out of a bad setup by the Alien player.
Thanks for the actual reply lol. But against acidic you do make a good point. The only thing is, it still takes a bar to cash out and gain health. So it seems to me more like the match would be going nowhere. Sure I'm gaining health but if I'm being showered in acid all game then it seems almost pointless. Also yeah I saw pnut do good against sonic fox with war God against acidic. Maybe I'll watch the match footage again and see why it went so well for him

Had a long set vs Tarkatan this weekend (over 50 matches). As nice as it is having armor with Sun God choke, I did better with Blood God in this matchup. I've found staying full screen just outside of Alien's tail low starter and throwing discs worked better than rush down. I did a lot of whiffed air grabs for meter build while alternating between disc and EX disc to prevent getting used to the pattern/timing. Just recently I've started running under opponents who jump in instead of anti-airing, especially when it puts them in the corner. But when Alien did get in range I had to play the guessing game with overhead/low rekka enders. (Shit sux)

** Disclaimer ** I don't have the character so I don't know the strings but the visuals. ** End Disclaimer **

Late in the sets I found backing myself into the corner, putting up EX sunlight, and when I had enough time after blocking what Alien's mixups I could, I'd stagger B1 Obsidiem totem, B12 Obsidiem totem, 114 Obsidiem totem, D4 Obsidiem totem as much as possible. Since a lot of people are becoming seasoned tech-grabbers, i've intentionally thrown them OUT OF THE CORNER, which again gives me time to put up totem of choice, zone (ha, laughable) with discs, and EX Sunlight myself. Timing out a few matches might be legit strategy after all. Plus when you have the life lead, some people go full retard and get reckless making Kotals backdash into punishment a work of art.

Any other thoughts or ideas?

TheGangstaFace

Had a long set vs Tarkatan this weekend (over 50 matches). As nice as it is having armor with Sun God choke, I did better with Blood God in this matchup. I've found staying full screen just outside of Alien's tail low starter and throwing discs worked better than rush down. I did a lot of whiffed air grabs for meter build while alternating between disc and EX disc to prevent getting used to the pattern/timing. Just recently I've started running under opponents who jump in instead of anti-airing, especially when it puts them in the corner. But when Alien did get in range I had to play the guessing game with overhead/low rekka enders. (Shit sux)

** Disclaimer ** I don't have the character so I don't know the strings but the visuals. ** End Disclaimer **

Late in the sets I found backing myself into the corner, putting up EX sunlight, and when I had enough time after blocking what Alien's mixups I could, I'd stagger B1 Obsidiem totem, B12 Obsidiem totem, 114 Obsidiem totem, D4 Obsidiem totem as much as possible. Since a lot of people are becoming seasoned tech-grabbers, i've intentionally thrown them OUT OF THE CORNER, which again gives me time to put up totem of choice, zone (ha, laughable) with discs, and EX Sunlight myself. Timing out a few matches might be legit strategy after all. Plus when you have the life lead, some people go full (soap bar in my mouth) and get reckless making Kotals backdash into punishment a work of art.

Any other thoughts or ideas?
I actually feel like war God does the best against alien in general. EX sword toss for positive frames and to keep up my own blender against aliens plus it helps against the keep away of acidic. Plus one ex overhead and 32% damage. Best thing is to try and trap alien in a blender of your own and it him hard when you can. Also try not jumping over alien because tarkatan a standing 2 is a ridiculous anti air

Tweedy

Noob
Tarkatan is hard for Kotal because his 9 frame launching armor lets him blow up anything after B1 easily.

I would suggest War God vs Konjurer and Acidic, and not War God vs Tarkatan. I was gonna say Sun God, but I see people talking about Blood God. I don't play Blood God at all so my opinion on Sun God vs Blood God would be poop.

Tarkatan is hard for Kotal because his 9 frame launching armor lets him blow up anything after B1 easily.

I would suggest War God vs Konjurer and Acidic, and not War God vs Tarkatan. I was gonna say Sun God, but I see people talking about Blood God. I don't play Blood God at all so my opinion on Sun God vs Blood God would be poop.
What system are you on @Tweedy? I've seen you on the Alien forums so you know her stuff. I need more matchup experience if by chance you're on PS4.