What's new

Question - Hellfire Vortex reset options

Hello,

I am pretty new in MKX (and MK) and picked up Scorpion as first character. I like it and try to "master" it to be able to play well against my friends offline. :)

I started with inferno as the "noob" character and I can do the vortex and BnB quite well. I understood the basic vortex options and could adapt to my game (B3 + MG or F4 + spear or throw) and it is simple but working.

I would like to unerstand other variations too (I am reading a lot and try to feel it). I have the basic question about hellfire because it is not clear to me. Maybe it's help to the others too.

What are the vortex options for hellfire variant (after finishing the combo with teleport)?
1. High: F4 + FA
2. Low? B3 + ? (spear is not a good option as I heard but hellfire has no MG :) )
3. Throw
4. Blockstring and continue pressure?

I have read that hellfire has more options and I want to learn more options. I miss the B3+MG as a simple vortex reset.

I think you guys can answer it easily. I am sorry if it's a noob question but I would like to learn the fundamentals. Thank you in advance.

Mahjunia

Noob
b3-exspear/spear, fjp,123-tp, rc, b12-fa, i dont know if you can continue with 21-FRC but with s4-tp

if not

b3-exspear/spear, fjp,123-tp, rc, s1-fa i guess it works also

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance
B3 ~ FBRC is your low option. Then it's just a matter of where you want your flame aura. I personally like:

b3~FBRC~214 into whatever for your damage. If you're feeling cheeky you can use b3~FBRC, 21~FA, 214 into whatever but depending on the distance you hit b3 on, 21~FA may or may not connect so I stick with the plain old 214 follow up. It also gives you a bit more time to block or hit confirm. If blocked, you can do another fireball cancel to stay safe, and on hit you teleport into good damage.

B3 ~ FBRC is your low option. Then it's just a matter of where you want your flame aura. I personally like:

b3~FBRC~214 into whatever for your damage. If you're feeling cheeky you can use b3~FBRC, 21~FA, 214 into whatever but depending on the distance you hit b3 on, 21~FA may or may not connect so I stick with the plain old 214 follow up. It also gives you a bit more time to block or hit confirm. If blocked, you can do another fireball cancel to stay safe, and on hit you teleport into good damage.
Thank you for both answers.

First option (spear) is doable now for me but FRBC is in learning phase. :)

Question about FRBC option: if the B3 hit and I am fast enough with FRBC (not yet) the 214 is hitting as a combo too? Or either way I will face a block after B3 regardless of successful block?
I guess it might result in a combo that's why it is the low option but I want to be sure - and practice.

Matix218

Get over here!

Question about FRBC option: if the B3 hit and I am fast enough with FRBC (not yet) the 214 is hitting as a combo too? Or either way I will face a block after B3 regardless of successful block?
I guess it might result in a combo that's why it is the low option but I want to be sure - and practice.
If you do the fbrc properly b3, fbrc, 214 will be a true combo on hit

Matix218

Get over here!
Best way to practice is to set the AI to "auto" block which will make the AI automatically block after any hit attack. This way you know if you hit them you did the fbrc correctly

Ze Dingo

D4->F2 = unblockable. Ice Clone = unpunishable.
Scorpion doesn't really have a vortex. He has quite a few problems, so, practice hard and GL :)

Lord Beef

Death Metal and Trance

That's correct. That's why the FBRC is so important for b3 in this variation, it gives him a safe, hit-confirmable low that he does not have in Inferno or Ninjutsu. In those two, you have to commit to b3~YOLO SPECIAL and put your ass on the line.

(you can technically also FBRC off f4 and it will connect into 21 on hit, but on block it's not so bueno and f4 is hella slow)

Additionally, it effectively extends the combo-able(is that a word?) range on f3. Granted the scenario is basically a distanced punish where only f3 will connect but is too far for the hitadvantage to combo into say ex tele or something for big damage, but it's an important tool nonetheless. FBRC is core to HF's gameplay, not for the pressure only, but also for reasons like the two I have cited.

Thank you guys I will practice it and see if FBRC is doable for me. It seems FBRC is quite safe option instead of inferno commitments. :)
I like inferno too but it is different. :)

Scorpion doesn't really have a vortex. He has quite a few problems, so, practice hard and GL :)
Hehe. Yeah I know and have read about other top tier characters who has much better options than Scorpion. I don't really care now. My goal is not picking up the highest tier character but playing well and enjoy it - mostly against my friends who don't pick up high tier character, either yet.

Ze Dingo

Hehe. Yeah I know and have read about other top tier characters who has much better options than Scorpion. I don't really care now. My goal is not picking up the highest tier character but playing well and enjoy it - mostly against my friends who don't pick up high tier character, either yet.
I'm a Ninjutsu main, so we're in the same boat :)

I'm a Ninjutsu main, so we're in the same boat :)
:) Well, with Ninjutsu the vortex options seems even worse.
But why did you write that scorpion didn't really have vortex? Because it is easy to avoid? I can imagine that top tier characters has more options to reset (real 50/50%, really need guess). Scorpion has a good fast low and a slower high - good player can easily defend it with low then fast high block (I can use against my friends :D).
That's why you wrote or other things?

Please, share it I want to learn. :)

Thx.

PS.: I watched some high level hellfire game on youtube (tournament). There were few successful reset just not immediate low/high but with some trick (included FRBC too) - I am not high level tournament player yet.

Ze Dingo

The vortex is non-existent because Scorpion's overhead is 23 frames. That's close to half a second, so, it can be easily reacted to and blocked. If you use it too often, you can actually get armoured and launched on read.

I play Niniutsu because it's a fundamental based variation and it's more of whiff punishes and space control instead of 50-50s

Hope that helps :)

Yes thank you and I agree with you.
I played like 7 hours with my friend offline last night - he was quite confused due to low/high/throw combo after vortex and at all. Overhead worked well after several low - then throw. :D
We are not pro players though - He plays Kotal so I do not really need to pick up the top tier characters. :)

I would like to learn hellfire first (second after Inferno) and will see if I am able to execute FRBC properly as it is an important element of the character.

Then i will also pick up Ninjitsu and play more with him too and see what I like the most (and effective). :)

I think I got all my answers I needed thank you guys so much.

Last edited: