What's new

Virtua Fighter 5

S

SuGaR

I remember someone on SRK had an advice dog avatar and it said something like Play VF5 - take a nap.

SuGaR said:
I remember someone on SRK had an advice dog avatar and it said something like Play VF5 - take a nap.
That was Capcom vs. SNK 2. What the advice dog said was "Play Virtua Fighter-- Be lonely." This was a reference to the player base for the game which, when compared to other games, is comparatively small. It's certainly a bigger player base than a game like, say, Mortal Kombat II, however, given that there's a Virtua Fighter 5 side event at almost every major tournament in America.
Nice try with the flame bait, though.

I play!

I'm not good at the game...but I think it's fun!

I use Vanessa, but I want to learn how to use Kage and El Blaze.

S

SuGaR

Lobelia Prime said:
SuGaR said:
That was Capcom vs. SNK 2. What the advice dog said was "Play Virtua Fighter-- Be lonely." This was a reference to the player base for the game which, when compared to other games, is comparatively small. It's certainly a bigger player base than a game like, say, Mortal Kombat II, however, given that there's a Virtua Fighter 5 side event at almost every major tournament in America.
Nice try with the flame bait, though.
Wasn't flame bait. Just making a reference to how slow and boring VF is, granted it's technically the most superior 3D fighter but fuck, that game is boring.

I Play VF5 on my friend's PS3. Wishfully, I like to fight people in person because for D-Pad reasons I refuse to play it on 360 eventhough the online feature is good.

I'm going to try and into it soon, it's just a game that requires dedication. I want to get comfortable with all the "written" stuff firsts.

dubson

Noob
Definitely one of the harder games to get into and play at high level.

Takes a lot of time.

Very good game though.

SuGaR said:
Wasn't flame bait. Just making a reference to how slow and boring VF is, granted it's technically the most superior 3D fighter but fuck, that game is boring.
Eh. I guess that's fair. Personally, I think that it's the most exciting fighter that I've ever played, but then again, I thought Ashley from Resident Evil 4 was awesome too, so I might just be backasswards like that.

MaDWaK

Noob
anybody who says that game is boring has clearly never had any experience playing it. I use to play it a shit load and I was pretty good before my disc drive broke and I sold it. Now that I got a new 360 im gonna have to buy it again. I strictly main Eileen. Also he game is so dope because you could play JP players since the netcode is so damn good, and no one who plays uses gay shenanigans like people do in most fighters on XBL.

Noob
I've been playing this alot recently. I've always been an Akira and Sarah user, but wow, did they ever change Sarah from her VF2/VF3 days. In 4 and 5 she's way different, and I actually think she's worse... which really sucks since she was always a competitor in 2 and 3... at least in 2 she was top 3 or 4(Lau, Wolf, Akira, Sarah).

I'm using Akira in 5 and really enjoying it... although I can tell that Lei is really high... seems like he's got a non-stop attack.

As far as the game being boring... not at all.. though that's personal opinion. Virtua Fighter has always been a mind game first. Unlike Tekken and SC, you can't just keep attacking in hopes of landing a combo on a player who mis-judges an attack height. You have to wait, look for openings, use throws, juggle properly, land combos when they're available to you, and look for reversal opportunities if you can predict them correctly. It's very intricate... prob. the most skill demanding game of all time.

One of the biggest problems with people getting into VF has always been the entry level skill needed. Most people can pick up and play Pai and Lau pretty quickly because of their existing PPPK or PPPd+K combos, but that's very basic and easy to counter(or reverse if you're using Akira). Shun tends to be a new user favorite because his moves aren't too difficult. Sarah and Jacky both are fairly good entry level characters, especially in VF1-3 where they are almost identical, but even in 4 and 5, they are good characters to start with, but as much as I love using Sarah, she gets boring to me and I always go back to Akira b/c he seems to be the most intricate character to use. The game's fighting system is different than any other game, and that's also very intimidating. Lets face it, it's not Street Fighter, so people are afraid to try it. I'd say give it 5 minutes and you'll like it, but I'd be lying. Fact is, you'll need to give it like 5 days with an entry level character, 5 weeks with a mid level skill character and 5 months with an intricate character in order to really like it, understand it, and appreciate it.

If you are talking about Dural, you get nothing for beating her (except an achievement for xbox players if you beat her with everyone). By beating the game with everyone w/ or w/o defeating Dural will unlock her in vs mode.