What's new

Question Very basic question: specials execution

Hi again;

It's been awhile since I last posted on the forums, but I've been lurking in the meantime and learning new stuff every day. But since day one of mortal kombat 9, specials (and in general), execution has been a problem for me.

I've tried everything, first I was pressing a button at a time, so for example if we have a sub zero iceball, I pressed down, direction, 3 quickly in that order. Thats probably the safest way to land your specials, but unfortunately a bit slower than just sliding your fingers from one directional button to another, or even three buttons in some cases. Actually all ex moves requires 3 buttons. I'm still sliding my fingers across dpad, but sometimes I struggle with huge inconsistency. That depends, of course, on my current mood also, if I'm relaxed and in good pshysical condition, I'm able to be a lot more consistent, but still, all the time I have that feeling I'm not 100% reliable on my specials. Sometimes I just whiff like crazy and insted of specials very long basic moves comes out (especially with someone who mains sub). I get out moves like back kick which which has redicoulus ammount of frames and sometimes I get punish like crazy.

So I really don't wanna take too long here, so please people, do you have any special tactic on how to land your specials 100% consistent? Do you just press buttons in a row or do you slide your fingers? Maybe even to go more in depth with it, da your actually like hold your finger on a first directional for a brief milisecond and only then proceed to another button? Or do you just do a simple slide like writing a straight line?

Maybe this thread will appear silly to some people, but I really have big problems with my execution and that being the main reason why I can't utilise my knowledge of the game in general.

I slide my fingers across the dpad. Individually pressing the directions is much harder.

Also, if you haven't already, you should try pressing the attack button at the same time, rather than after the last direction of the special inputs.

So instead of:
down, down+forward, forward, 3

You'd press:
down, down+forward, forward+3

That's what I do at least.