What's new

Question - War God Usefulness of Sword Shake

Slavaslave

Professional Casual
Hey guys, since EVO I have switched from Sun God to War God and I am trying to learn all the tricks of a god. So far I have seen pretty much zero use for sword shake so I figured I would come here and ask my fellow Kahns if anyone uses it, and how.

I see the occasional use online as a "mixup" following some strings, but it is really easy to beat from my perspective. If I am not mistaken, even after cancelling it is negative so it cannot be used in place of air grab or to pressure in any way. The only use I have found is as a cancel to b122 when I am playing sub zero or reptiles who always raw slide on wakeup.

So, any of you war gods found a decent use for the special?

DDutchguy

Stand 4'ing airplanes out of the sky
Its main use in relatively high level play is for gimmicks. People will generally expect an overhead or low mixup, but may get tagged by the unblockable.

Scott The Scot

Where there is smoke, there is cancer.
Is Sword Shake the unblockable thing that can be cancelled? If so then the EX version can blow up people who try to armour after B14~Mixup. Well, it might depend on the armour but I remember labbing the MU and that beat my attempts to armour the gap.

Slavaslave

Professional Casual
Thats pretty much what I thought... Its sad, it has so much possibility to add variation to Kotal's offense. I guess it can be useful in the grandmaster MU, but even that is debatable because it has such a slow startup.

Snibbor

Yarrrr Matey
You can use it in the corner for meterless damage after F3,4 by cancelling it. Something like F3,4, DB3 (hold up), D1, F1B2xx DF2

You can also use it for baits if you think your opponent will armor the gap between the first hit and the actual unblockable, since when canceled it becomes safe. Can't think of any other use really

Last edited:
E

Eldriken

It could land one time vs a good player. The risk/reward on it is still bad, so yeah..... I typically don't even try it once.
Same. I've trained myself to forget that it even exists 99% of the time. The only time I really use it is if I've won the match and I'm full screen and don't feel like doing a Faction Kill. =P

TheGangstaFace

Psn, Xbox, Twitter: TheGangstaFace
Use it in the neutral with canceling. It doesn't take stamina and it actually hits people trying to run in and even if they don't run in you recover fast enough

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
It also gives his highest damage in the corner meterless, as well as giving you an armored cancel wakeup, if you don't want to use the slightly slower, safe Ex Saw. And yeah, as others have said, it lead to his highest damaging midscreen combos by a few percent (it used to be more). Plus, it's nice to have another mixup to end your strings with besides OH, Low, and Saw. I imagine you noticed Tekken Master using it for just that.

Jeffrey Wolf

YouTube: Jeffrey B Wolf
If you're wondering what the corner combo is:

F34, Shake Cancel, D1, D1, 114, OH Sword = 31%

You can also end with Air Throw if you don't mind losing the corner for 32%.

This combo can be done without the Shake Cancel by SG and BG, but it's much tighter to hit.

Slavaslave

Professional Casual
It also gives his highest damage in the corner meterless, as well as giving you an armored cancel wakeup, if you don't want to use the slightly slower, safe Ex Saw. And yeah, as others have said, it lead to his highest damaging midscreen combos by a few percent (it used to be more). Plus, it's nice to have another mixup to end your strings with besides OH, Low, and Saw. I imagine you noticed Tekken Master using it for just that.
yeah I saw that, its a mindgame thing I guess. In labbing it today though I realized the cancel is safe against sub zero's slide, so I guess in a way its a good safe string ender against opponents that can punish the OH/low