What's new

Strategy Use of Axe

I've seen footage of a lot of Ares mains use their axe in poor ways so I figured I'd start a guide/discussion on how and when to use the axe with examples. I'll try to keep it short and sweet since I don't want to drag on and I have to leave for class in about 20 minutes :)

When the game first came out a lot of Ares mains, including myself at first, complained that if you throw out the trait and get hit before it hits the opponent, it disappears. At some point I started to think this is fair because if you know that it'll disappear on a trade, you should only use it sparingly and when it's smart to do so.

It is my opinion (I'm not saying that with authority, I'm just saying) that Ares's axe should ONLY be used as:

1. A desperate anti-air
- Does this need an example?

2. A way to OPEN UP THE OPPONENT (I feel that this is the least used option and the best use of axe)
- If you've tried doing a 112 into d4 and they've blocked low, instead start a guessing game with the less useful trait option by doing a 112 into uu4 (double up presses) to make the axe an overhead since they're blocking low. It's a good way to open them up and realize the horrifying potential of Ares's overhead/low trait mixups.

3. To get guaranteed chip to close out the round/build meter (don't use it in a trade)
- I can't think of a good example, but let's say someone doesn't know the matchup and isn't aware that if he attempts a trade that the axe will probably disappear. When you're sure that he/she is just going to stand there and respect the axe in fear of a teleport or really whatever, throw it at their face if you need to chip them out or build meter. Just use it when you're 100% sure they're just going to block it. Perhaps after a move with a lot of recovery frames?

4. To extend combos
- I don't think this needs an example either.

So yeah, discuss it among yourselves. I will be participating in the discussion as well. Please avoid hostility and please provide proper reasoning and examples to go along with everything you say.

On another note, some of the Ares mains and I are coming together to start to write sort of an "Ares Community Guide" which will consist of basic but detailed info on how to play Ares and the Ares matchup. Keep an eye out for it and let me know if you're a dedicated Ares main, or if you play a lot of Ares mains so you could contribute or at least help review info! :)

insomnia_ftw

It's simple.. We normalize the superman.
2. A way to OPEN UP THE OPPONENT (I feel that this is the least used option and the best use of axe)
- If you've tried doing a 112 into d4 and they've blocked low, instead start a guessing game with the less useful trait option by doing a 112 into uu4 (double up presses) to make the axe an overhead since they're blocking low. It's a good way to open them up and realize the horrifying potential of Ares's overhead/low trait mixups.
Can you dash cancel the overhead axe? I don't know how good Ares' dash is, but you could use the overhead axe to condition your opponent to block high, then mix it up with dash cancelling to throw your opponent off.

No idea if that would work or not, just throwing the idea out there. As Joker's 212 xx gun-dash into pressure or a throw has a similar effect.

R3CK3Dx

KNEEL
the only use i find it to catch someone jumping or to end combos with. I doubt it will have any other uses than that nothing major anyways

InFlames

dead
I cringe whenever I see someone just throw an axe out of no where. Is B13 guaranteed off of a blocked UU4?

Can you dash cancel the overhead axe? I don't know how good Ares' dash is, but you could use the overhead axe to condition your opponent to block high, then mix it up with dash cancelling to throw your opponent off.

No idea if that would work or not, just throwing the idea out there.

You can, but if your opponent has a sharp mind and is paying close attention, they can probably punish it. But that's not always the case. That's a good way to continue pressure, but I don't think it's guaranteed. I think you can even react to seeing the axe come overhead if you're blocking low. The thing is, even if they do react to it, you'll still probably get chip and you'll still start a guessing game with them. Again this is speculation, I haven't tested it.

insomnia_ftw

It's simple.. We normalize the superman.
You can, but if your opponent has a sharp mind and is paying close attention, they can probably punish it. But that's not always the case. That's a good way to continue pressure, but I don't think it's guaranteed. I think you can even react to seeing the axe come overhead if you're blocking low. The thing is, even if they do react to it, you'll still probably get chip and you'll still start a guessing game with them. Again this is speculation, I haven't tested it.
Ah that sucks, the startup frames must be shit if they can interrupt it. Are you safe if you cancel it into a backdash?

Good post.

Ares' opponent should always fear his straight axe. I use it at least once near the beginning of a set--even if its random--just to prove that I'll use it. On the whole its a very good spacing tool. Aside from catching random jumps, the axe is very good at deterring opponents from throwable interactables.

Also, the straight axe and upward axe have unique knockdown properties, namely the speed at which the opponent a) stands up or b) rolls~stands up, that are ideal for God Smack resets, particularly in the corner. (Both options 'a' and 'b' are vulnerable to God Smack)

In the corner or moving towards the corner 33~dd4, GS is a legit reset--very difficult to avoid unless Ares' timing is off. Ares can vary between close/med/far GS to cross-up wake-up inputs and add another layer of difficulty for the opponent. The same setup will work with d2~dd4 etc.

I'll happily contribute to and/or edit an Ares community guide. I'm a day 1 main.

Good shit wayward and wannabe, the axe can definitely be a game changer. I use it as much as I can during a match to utilize the most of Ares' tools.

4x4lo8o

Noob
I use straight axe all the time. Like, as much as I possibly can. It and straight sword are an integral part of his zoning game. You have to show the opponent that you are not afraid to throw them out there.
In some match up the opponent can stuff it on reaction anywhere on the screen, but against most characters you want to abuse that shit as much as possible. It's positive on block from midscreen out, does a bunch of chip, builds meter, and gives a knockdown on hit.
Then once they're respecting it the mind games start. Pull out axe and hold it for a second and then dash cancel(this builds meter and helps you control space). Once they've seen that a few times start holding it for a second then let go and catch them as they dash/jump/whatever expecting you to cancel.

Also, the straight axe and upward axe have unique knockdown properties, namely the speed at which the opponent a) stands up or b) rolls~stands up, that are ideal for God Smack resets, particularly in the corner. (Both options 'a' and 'b' are vulnerable to God Smack)
Don't forget that downward Axe is a hard knock. This can set up cross ups and whatnot

And after any axe knockdown you get a teleport, invis, or meaty fireball if you chose not to do the GS option

InFlames

dead
Don't forget that downward Axe is a hard knock. This can set up cross ups and whatnot

And after any axe knockdown you get a teleport, invis, or meaty fireball if you chose not to do the GS option
It is? I got to start using it more.

Hellbringer

1 2 3 drink
Using uu4 is deffenitly good for string enders but i try only using it in 112 string or the 3d2 string.
But when i think of it, i never really use b1uu4 wich i should start experimenting with, cause its a good variation for b13, b1d4 or b1 godsmack.

Sometimes i try to catch jumping ppl with uu4, when you hit them right, they get launched high and you can combo of it.
Its also nice in solitude fortress because the axe lets you be able to start combo from fullscreen with the laser.

Most of the time i use it for ending combos or trying to get ppl stop jumping in on me.

Btw isn't swordcancelling less frames then axe cancelling?