What's new

Unbreakable Combos - When to use them?

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
So, I've been a big fan (pun intended) of using Kitana's unbreakable air fan, fan, ex fan+dash cancel, fan combos whenever I have meter and my opponent has breaker, but I'm now wondering if it's worth it in every situation.

Watching CD at Summer Jam, he had many opportunities to use an unbreakable when his opponent had breaker, but I think I only saw him use one once. Obviously, CD was quite successful at the tournament, so I wouldn't be quick to say he was doing something wrong. Is it bad meter management for me to use unbreakables whenever I can? Choosing not to gives up damage, but in turn makes the opponent waste meter. For characters like Kano, who I DON'T want to give an xray to, maybe I should force a breaker? In what situations, and against what characters, should you force the opponent to use a breaker?

Personally I always attempt to force a breaker if I can. I feel the only real time you want to use the unbreakable damage is if it will either end the match or will give them just a sliver of life left. Only in round 2 too, simply because you want to make sure you have a breaker for yourself.

DrDogg

Noob
I only use unbreakable combos when it's the winning round and the opponent has meter to break.

The ability to break is the most valuable tactic in the game as far as I'm concerned. By limiting my use of unbreakable combos, I gain this ability and take it away from my opponent. It also saves me the meter to hit confirm into EX Fan for a 50%+ combo.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Like DrDogg said, I mostly use unbreakables to win rounds... I also think it is very important to make them use their breaker so you can take the round and the meter advantage. This really opens up big advantages for you in the next round. Also, Kitana is a meter building machine.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
I'm more liberal about it than most. (maybe too much cause it's so cool). Obviously it's a waste if the round is a blowout but I'll use a bar or two to guarantee a round even if they only have like a 25% chance of comeback. I also like doing it in the beginning of rounds for a life lead. When you use an ex fan or two as filler instead of stuff like 2~fan then by the time you reach the ender into cutter it's no longer efficient for them to break so they'll take the rest too.

jtom

Noob
not that my opinion matters much after 3 of the best kits post before me, but chalk me up as someone who uses them to win rds as well

Phantom

Kitana Prime aka MK's Rated R Superstar
Yea, along with everyone here, I too use them to end rounds/win matches.

However, If I have more than 1 and my life in pretty substantial, I will use one bar to get some damage in when I know they're gonna break the combo.

Kitana will build that meter back. Period.

As a Sheeva player who also has a big amount of unbreakable damage, I've been asking myself the same thing. Besides what's been said in this thread, you need to also consider, what if doing full unbreakable damage will almost finish your opponent, do more damage than if you force them to breaker, but you also believe you're able to finish the round. Whether it's through chip damage, or there's been one mix up the other person hasn't beat yet, the opponent has a bad jumping habit, that's up to you.

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
When you use an ex fan or two as filler instead of stuff like 2~fan then by the time you reach the ender into cutter it's no longer efficient for them to break so they'll take the rest too.
Lol, you have no idea (or maybe you do) how many times I use an unbreakable and the opponent ends up breaking the cutter. I feel like I'm facepalming every match. Obviously, a high level player wouldn't do that so I would probably change my game.

DrDogg

Noob
As a Sheeva player who also has a big amount of unbreakable damage, I've been asking myself the same thing. Besides what's been said in this thread, you need to also consider, what if doing full unbreakable damage will almost finish your opponent, do more damage than if you force them to breaker, but you also believe you're able to finish the round. Whether it's through chip damage, or there's been one mix up the other person hasn't beat yet, the opponent has a bad jumping habit, that's up to you.
Winning the round isn't enough for me unless the opponent is on match point. I try not to burn the meter unless it will close out the match or come very close to doing so. If it will only come close, I have to take into account whether or not my opponent has won a round, how much life I have, and if I could possibly lose the match if I don't have a breaker.

Yea, along with everyone here, I too use them to end rounds/win matches.

However, If I have more than 1 and my life in pretty substantial, I will use one bar to get some damage in when I know they're gonna break the combo.

Kitana will build that meter back. Period.
Kitana does build meter with decent speed, but I believe that taking meter from your opponent is more important than inflicting damage.

Lol, you have no idea (or maybe you do) how many times I use an unbreakable and the opponent ends up breaking the cutter. I feel like I'm facepalming every match. Obviously, a high level player wouldn't do that so I would probably change my game.
I agree with this. A vast majority of players do not use breakers well.

Phantom

Kitana Prime aka MK's Rated R Superstar
Kitana does build meter with decent speed, but I believe that taking meter from your opponent is more important than inflicting damage.
I agree here, but I was saying if I had a substantial life lead, I would use some meter to take some life before the eventual break.
I could've been more efficient in the way I explained it, but I assumed all Kitanas were thinking as I was when I typed it up.
It's situational for me depending on the combo.
For example, Anti-Air Fanlift - Air Fan > Ground Fan > EX Fan Cancel > Ground Fan > f2 BREAK

So I get about low ~20% and 2 bars from the opponent...feel me?