What's new

UMK Question Forum

I thought a forum should be created for newcomers to UMK who have questions regarding general gameplay. That being said.. =)

The individual character guides are -amazing-, I give a lot of thanks and props to Shock, but I have a few questions myself being new to the pro scene of UMK.

1. What would be the proper definition to glitch cancelling? Or more importantly how are they executed to extend some moves past their number of hits that they "lock" at?

2. What version of UMK is the best to play? Or used in tourney play. Is v1.2 the highest?

3. When I do H. Smoke's 3 hit popup combo sometimes he has troubles stringing with longer combos (for ex: jp, hk lp, jk, spear, 3 hit popup but oppoent blocks on last hit of the combo.) Is there something character specific going on? When I try it on glitchy SNES and MKT I dont have this problem.

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
Thanks for the questions Grindfox, for future reference, you can just stick questions like this in the character guide thread.

As for glitch canceling, it isn't something you should really attempt in gameplay unless you're a lot better than the other person and are trying to show off.

GCing is when you cancel the limit hit in a combo (LP, HP, JP, or JK) into a special move upon the frame of contact.

The only examples I can give where you might see a GC in game is for Sub-zero's freeze, or Reptile's forceballs. Otherwise, it's pretty much a no go and just stick to the normal limits. I have gced HPHP to spin against people, particularly blocked male ninja teleport punches with Kabal, however, if you are fast and skilled enough to get a HPHP spin, you should be able to get aaJK, aa spin as well for even more damage. Also with the aaJK, there is a good chance they will land touching the ground and it will be unblockable, so watch for that and go into his ground combo.

UMK3 1.2 is the standard version of choice.

And for the Human Smoke combo, simply perform the 3 hits as fast as your fingers can do it and it'll always work. On MKT it seems to work a little smoother.

ah I see, Thank-you Shock : )

Am sorry for not adding to char. thread, deff would have been better place to put it.

Selpex

Noob
gcing in mkt n64 might be the same as umk, it can only happen in certain matches, using one technique to gc in 1 match will not work, using the same technique in a different match it will, so it is random if you want to perform glitch cancels, like in umk sometimes it is impossible to gc freeze with usub, but i could be wrong

Selpex

Noob
well, frame by frame in mkt proves wrong, unless there is a different way to gc, when the way i try which works only in certain matches

Selpex

Noob
ok since people are disagreeing ill explain as much as possible since i am really tired..

match 1 - living forest - p2(jax) jumps, p1(rsmoke) waits 12 frames(opt), p1> aahpx2, 16 frames from when the first hp is pressed, F is pressed, 3 frame wait after F is pressed (if you use F,F,LK in 3 consecutive frames straight after each other it will register the F,F as being held down), then the second F is pressed and LK is pressed on the next 2 possible frames, the second hp connects, performing: aaHPx2, GC Teleport

this exact same method was used in other matches, and the 2nd hp connects with no gc, for many gc combos in mkt broken i had to recycle arenas to find the right one, i might be wrong that this rule is applied in umk3, but it is in mkt n64, and likely the others

this rule also seems to apply to the ground RH, aa Teleport punch combo with male ninjas, in a match were you can perform GCing, you cannot get an aaTeleport punch with male ninjas after a grounded RH, because of the frame siuation, and again i have tested this trying to do a gc combo with ermac for ded_, using the the first 3 frames possible after the grounded RH that the teleport punch can be performed, (in gc state) the teleport punch hit grounded, after recycling arenas i tried again, where i could not gc at all, the teleport punch hit aa