What's new

TYM Kommunity Project: An Open Letter to NRS Concerning Netplay

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
I have one concern. When and how will the netcode be improved. If that is what is going to happen. You can't simply just install rollback netcode. You basically code the game with it in mind from the ground up. It's not impossible but it sounds very difficult to do. That's just from my very limited understanding of how coding works. I'm hoping we eventually see some kind of improvement but I wouldn't get to excited.

I'd put any change on the netcode to be from everyone having problems with ESL. Can't have that much money on the line and broadcast it to everyone only for things to go sideways cause of shoddy work. Not a good look no matter how you spin it. And I doubt MKx was the first time NRS heard how bad their online was compared to all the competitors.

Diego de Souza Costa

***The Soul Consuming Darkness***
I have one concern. When and how will the netcode be improved. If that is what is going to happen. You can't simply just install rollback netcode. You basically code the game with it in mind from the ground up. It's not impossible but it sounds very difficult to do. That's just from my very limited understanding of how coding works. I'm hoping we eventually see some kind of improvement but I wouldn't get to excited.

I'd put any change on the netcode to be from everyone having problems with ESL. Can't have that much money on the line and broadcast it to everyone only for things to go sideways cause of shoddy work. Not a good look no matter how you spin it. And I doubt MKx was the first time NRS heard how bad their online was compared to all the competitors.
i think that they are going to do like DICE did with Battlefield..... they are gonna update "chunks" of the game.... this BETA is pretty much the CTE that DICE has.... but like you, i have a very limited "knowledge"..... :DOGE

Crimzon-ET

Got Face Huggers?
Wow, I'm really surprised that Netherrealm Studios are going through this kind of effort to improve the netcode for MKX! I really hope it turns out as good as Killer Instinct or better not only for the community but for Netherrealm Studios as well.

mercureXI

Punching bag that throws fans !
We asked, begged, and then cried! Now our concerns have been answered! Great effort from us as a community!! Netkode BOYZ!!!
OR

They noticed people stopped playing massively because their netcode was as rotten as a 1999 apple.

And since they kinda hope to sell KP2 massively (i.e they want us to pay ... again !), their best move was flashing us with an update in online play.

Good luck with that !

Beta is in a few days, and they decide only NOW to let us know they were working on some rollback code ?

Weird timing ?

How naive people can be sometimes :)

Hint : SFV shows up in 1 month (with a rollback netcode, and also beta testing ... but before launching !)

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
..."the model we are moving towards is similar in function to GGPO"...
so, is it GGPO or what? I swear there's something fishy in all this.

I think we're being duped. It's not a variant but more so of them saying "Here's GGPO, but we have to be discrete and SAY it's a variant to avoid copyright infringement... and the fact that 7 years of horrible online experiences aren't really getting out attention but SFV is. So, here you go."

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
NRS wants to keep creative control. In order to ensure this, they must not owe anyone anything. Their games are very violent and they don't want anything licensed outside their jurisdiction to become a part of their game because it would allow for the infiltration of those that would undermine their work to be able to wrest creative control.

I get it and I don't want politics or corporate shenanigans to undermine their creative direction. If it were to get to that point, I think MK would end up just going away.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
I think we're being duped. It's not a variant but more so of them saying "Here's GGPO, but we have to be discrete and SAY it's a variant to avoid copyright infringement... and the fact that 7 years of horrible online experiences aren't really getting out attention but SFV is. So, here you go."
NRS wants to keep creative control. In order to ensure this, they must not owe anyone anything. Their games are very violent and they don't want anything licensed outside their jurisdiction to become a part of their game because it would allow for the infiltration of those that would undermine their work to be able to wrest creative control.

I get it and I don't want politics or corporate shenanigans to undermine their creative direction. If it were to get to that point, I think MK would end up just going away.
I mean if its was GGPO then it would mean they bought the license from the Canon brothers like Mike Z did and wouldn't have any problems to advertise it as GGPO in a direct straight way. To me is something else, something doesn't feel right to me.

buyacushun

Normalize grab immunity.
i think that they are going to do like DICE did with Battlefield..... they are gonna update "chunks" of the game.... this BETA is pretty much the CTE that DICE has.... but like you, i have a very limited "knowledge"..... :DOGE
Why you'd put quotation marks around knowledge? ya lost me.
Well rollback netcode doesn't mean GGPO. But GGPO does use rollback netcode. Same way SFxT used rollback but I don't think it was GGPO. SFV is using rollback but it's their own thing. The only uneasy part for me, is whatever NRS churns out as "Enhanced Online". They have had bottom of the barrel netcode since 2011. Now they are trying out a whole new system on an already made game. I just hope Injustice 2 doesn't suck ass now. I might actually buy that game. Unless they design like this game. Then I'll just sit out from 50/50 plus frames abusable everything Kombat.

aldazo

Waiting for Havik
Why you'd put quotation marks around knowledge? ya lost me.

Well rollback netcode doesn't mean GGPO. But GGPO does use rollback netcode. Same way SFxT used rollback but I don't think it was GGPO. SFV is using rollback but it's their own thing. The only uneasy part for me, is whatever NRS churns out as "Enhanced Online". They have had bottom of the barrel netcode since 2011. Now they are trying out a whole new system on an already made game. I just hope Injustice 2 doesn't suck ass now. I might actually buy that game. Unless they design like this game. Then I'll just sit out from 50/50 plus frames abusable everything Kombat.
I mean it is fishy to associate their rollback netcode with GGPO, as if they were using it (from Boons twit). Not every roll back netcode function that great as GGPO, GGPO has a very high standard associated to it because people know it works almost flawlessly. It's like those chinese companies that try to sell you bad clones with names like "Noika", "Soni", etc.

Sutter Pain

Your mothers main.
As long as players are able to connect to each other literally anything they do to the netcode will be a improvement.

GAV

Resolution through knowledge and resolve.
I mean if its was GGPO then it would mean they bought the license from the Canon brothers like Mike Z did and wouldn't have any problems to advertise it as GGPO in a direct straight way. To me is something else, something doesn't feel right to me.
Remember what MK represents, not just to this community - but to other pockets of society - going into marketed competition, politics, and just as media in general.

MK is a pariah. To involve any outside source is dangerous. It only takes money and ANYONE can have a say. GGPO would own a part of MKX and later Injustice.

ALOT of pockets of society would be motivated to get that say. Its not paranoia, but just being real.

The news is good for us since they think they can make it much better or they would have just stayed the course that they had held fast to for so long.

Last edited: