What's new

Turbo 3.1 Arcade

So I'm trying to program the MK 3.1 Turbo roms to play on my actual hardware but it just will NOT work. I heard that only the Nifty Hacks still required the daughter board so I assumed it would work. I'm using the M27C4001-10F1 chips (Same as what is in there currently) Am I missing something here do I need faster/different chips or is the daughter board still required. I have a Y-unit which is why I'm trying Turbo 3.1. Any help would be great!

Btw, I know the chips are good because I read and programmed them with original roms and they work just fine.
@YourMKArcadeSource ???

Also on a separate note , if anyone has access to control pannel z-bracket please let me know, I looking for one 27 inches long.

Thanks in advance!

YourMKArcadeSource

Your Source For All Things MK Arcade Related
So I'm trying to program the MK 3.1 Turbo roms to play on my actual hardware but it just will NOT work. I heard that only the Nifty Hacks still required the daughter board so I assumed it would work. I'm using the M27C4001-10F1 chips (Same as what is in there currently) Am I missing something here do I need faster/different chips or is the daughter board still required. I have a Y-unit which is why I'm trying Turbo 3.1. Any help would be great!

Btw, I know the chips are good because I read and programmed them with original roms and they work just fine.
@YourMKArcadeSource ???

Also on a separate note , if anyone has access to control pannel z-bracket please let me know, I looking for one 27 inches long.

Thanks in advance!
Where are you getting the roms from? Any public source will require the Kombo board because the security crack is built into the Mame function. Also, are you using a Y-Unit or a T-Unit? The 3.1 Turbo version is only for the Y-Unit. I have the correct roms that will work if you need them.

That would be great, yeah I just grabbed the mame one I assumed the crack was already built in the rom themselves. I have Y-unit board btw. So can you confirm other hacks that work on the y-unit? I read that Nifty did but clearly Im not getting correct information.

YourMKArcadeSource

The only hacks that will work without the Kombo board are the Turbo Ninja for the T-Unit and 3.1 Turbo for the Y-Unit, and those files aren't in the Mame directory because Mame cracks the security. There are a very select few who have the non-Kombo board files including myself. All the other hacks need the Kombo board.

YourMKArcadeSource

Also, ALL the known hacks with the exception of Turbo Ninja are for the Y-Unit. TN is the only hack for the T-Unit. I made a post recently on my FB page showcasing all the known hacks...

Since there might be some people out there who aren't aware of the 'official' MK1 hacks that were around back in '92/'93, here is the scoop. Shortly after MK1 hit the arcade in 1992 and blew people's minds, a company called "Kombosoft" began developing a series of hacks that sped up the gameplay, made it easier to get to Reptile, levitate your opponents when they are frozen or hit with the spear, changed the attract mode screens, and various other things. They were available for operators to purchase, although it's not really known if Kombosoft peddled them over the phone or how exactly they advertised the hacks to the operators, but they have been out there since 1992. They are relatively rare and it's not really known in which order the hacks appeared, but here is a list of all the current known ones...

(Y-Unit hardware only)...

-) 3.0 Turbo
-) 3.1 Turbo (Early Release?)
-) 3.1 Turbo
-) 3.2 Turbo
-) Turbo Kombo 3.5
-) Super Kombo
-) Nifty Kombo
-) Nifty Kombo 666
-) Nifty Kombo 666 Rev. B
-) Nifty Kombo XXX
-) Reptile Man

(T-Unit hardware only)

-) Turbo Ninja

As for the hardware, there was a little daughter board that mounted on the main board in the U89/UG12 location that housed a GAL security chip which was necessary to make the hacks work with the boards. If you tried to install just the roms themselves, the hack wouldn't work. Some of the hacks (not all of them) have been dumped to Mame and the security functionality of the daughter board's GAL chip has been cracked to allow them to be played in Mame, but if you just burn the rom images from the Mame roms and try to install them in your board, it won't work. However, Turbo Ninja for the T-Unit and 3.1 Turbo for the Y-Unit have successfully been modified so they CAN be burned and played on the actual hardware without the need for the daughter board, but the files are not in the public's hands. Only a few select people have them.

There are three different versions of the daughter boards but they both perform the same function. They are known as "Kombo Board," "Nibble Board," or "Marc." Here is a visual account of them for reference. The pictures are in order of how I have them listed above...

https://www.facebook.com/yourmkarcadesource/posts/1694245117505872