What's new

Trying to help my friend get better at Sektor, any tips?

Niflheim

Noob
So, my friend(who has no computer, and thus can't make an account here, because it would look like a dupe) would like to learn and main Sektor, who seems to suit his very well, with an aggresive teleport, zoning, some nice combos, and an anti-air(flamethrower). However, I've barely used Sektor, and the only thing I know is f2,1, teleport punch, 1,2,b1, flamethrower as my BnB for Sektor. I can't learn everyone, so I'd like to know some in depth strategy and any tips for how to use Sektor from anyone that mains him.

my bnb is 1,2,b1,f4,f4,teleport, jump kick, exteleport,b2, flamethrower (40ish%), but i dont main sektor so thats all i got

PND_Ketchup

"More deadly than the dawn"
ill be writing up a full sektor guide soon, i also want to record an in depth sektor tutorial to tie in with it.

any particular questions he wants to know right now though? id be happy to help :)

Rapid

Magical Gaming Wizard
My bnb is 1,2,b1 (safe on block, easy hit confirm) into jk, teleport into another jk EX teleport, into b2 flameburner
Low starter b3,4 into teleport into ex teleport into b2 flameburner
For his overhead you have to go into his Up 3 stance and press 4, into teleport and combo.
His leg lift stance can also do his low starter so this leads to good mixups after a jip is blocked.
After a flameburner, you can usually catch them jumping back in at you with another flameburner, and if its blocked its safe.
b1. Safe, pushes really far back on hit (zoning) good lunge to it, and great for pressure. You can even do it at the very start of first round!
Your meter should be used for Ex teleports (combos, safe on block) and ex. up missiles (turn into homing missiles, to get in), and of course breakers.
Xray combo if you need fast unbreakable damage: 1,2,b1, 1 xray
That's Sektor in a nutshell, or at least all i can think of at the time. I'll edit later if i remember anything else.

Lyuben

Sinestro's might!
My BnBs

12b1, j3, TU, j3, ex TU, b2 flamethrower- Standard BnB. Good for a punish or for pressure. Can be hit confirmed as the first string is safe.

j3,TU,f4,4 ex TU,b2 flamethrower- If they are not afraid of your flamethrower and are still jumping around this is a good way to get lotsa damage from a single jump kick.

B34, TU, f4,4, ex TU, b2 flamethrower- low combo starter. Good for mix ups.

U3,4,TU, f4,4,ex TU, b2 flamethrower- overhead starter from stance. Again good for mix ups. Above combo can be done from the stance.

Corner combo: 12b1, b21, 12, 122, flamethrower. No meter for around 40%+

Use 3 in your jump kicks. Using 4 causes issues of negative edge with enhanced teleport uppercut so it is better to get used the better method.

Use missiles. They are great. Try to learn to teleport uppercut on reaction to an enemy projectile.

Niflheim

Noob
Thanks guys, my friend used this friend to help him. Right Now his BnB's are this:
Jump kick 3, TU, F4, 4, TU(enhanced if he can), 1, 2, 2
b2, TU, F4, 4 TU
And occasionally U3, 4, TU, flamethrower/ 1, 2, 2

He can't constantly land the 1,2,b1 yet. Really need to teach him but we have to learn with the xbox d-pad, but he decides just to use the thumbstick more often. He needs to learn to stop throwing out so many Teleport punches. He's pretty good at zoning w/ rockets too.
He also decided to main Human Sektor. The only thing I know with the difference of him and the cyborg one is:
-X-Ray lands lower.
-1, 2, 2 combo has longer range.
-Up Missile seems slower
-Forward missile seems to come out faster, not 100% sure.

Anything else we know about Human Sektor? Can't seem to find much more than this.

ryublaze

Noob
Doesn't make much of a difference but since he sticks his arms out to fire missiles, the starting point for the missles is farther out.

Thanks guys, my friend used this friend to help him. Right Now his BnB's are this:
Jump kick 3, TU, F4, 4, TU(enhanced if he can), 1, 2, 2
b2, TU, F4, 4 TU
And occasionally U3, 4, TU, flamethrower/ 1, 2, 2

He can't constantly land the 1,2,b1 yet. Really need to teach him but we have to learn with the xbox d-pad, but he decides just to use the thumbstick more often. He needs to learn to stop throwing out so many Teleport punches. He's pretty good at zoning w/ rockets too.
He also decided to main Human Sektor. The only thing I know with the difference of him and the cyborg one is:
-X-Ray lands lower.
-1, 2, 2 combo has longer range.
-Up Missile seems slower
-Forward missile seems to come out faster, not 100% sure.

Anything else we know about Human Sektor? Can't seem to find much more than this.
look at my sticked combo thread , its called corner combos/xray combos but also has midscreen combos and little tricks

also, 12 is a great pressure string. You can do 12 on block then if they duck right after the 12, then next time you can do 122 as the final 2 is an overhead then you can cancel that into an upmissle/homing missle for added pressure and possible safe jump.

i like to add upmissles/homing missles at the end of combos for added wake up pressure (use 21~flamethrower as an ender also as it pushes the opponent farther back then b2~flamethrower). I also use extu on wake up since its safe, but not too much, i like my meter. Once they respect the wake up extu you can dash in for a quick throw. Sektor also has the fasted dash in the game so you can close space pretty quickly. His 12b1 launcher can punish almost everything but sometimes the 2 will whiff on lets say a blocked kabal dash. In those scenarios you should use 21~TU combo starter for the punish. B1 is a great anti air/poke. f2 is also a nice quick poke and you can do b1 after the f2 if they you have them accustomed to letting go of block after the f2.

Back to the 12 string. 12 can be ducked but you can mix in 21 as the 1 will hit a croucher. You can mix that up with 124 as the 4 will push the opponent across the screen for a knockdown. or you can do 124 (both 4's in 124 and 214 are delayed) and cancel into a special move. b34 is a great low starter and has great advantage if its fuzzy gaurded. i never use f44 because if you use it in your BnB it only scales to about 1% less and scales just the same as a J/k in his extu combos. Also, the f44 can whiff in certain circumstances so id say not to use it at all and just use b34. Sektor has a stance (u3) that can go into a low (u3 3 4) or an overhead (u3 4) His stance overhead (u34) is pretty useless IMO unless its off a blocked JiP. Even then they can react, fuzzy gaurd and punish you when you try to TU off the overhead since it is not hit confirmable. I like to do it maybe once into an EXTU so its safe then when they respect my leg lift ovehead i do the stance (u3) into his low (u3 3 4) when they expect the overhead. I think you get where im going with this.

homing missles are great at the end of matches if you have a meter to burn but dont get too greedy with them and save your meter for breakers. Front upmissles are great for catching jump ins and can lead to sektors highest damaging combos. Back upmissles are good for heavy zoners like shang tsung or sub zero. switch your upmissles up with the normal and front ones though mainly and confuse your opponent so they dash into a front upmissle. Do not use any upmissle at 1/4 screen as it has a slow startup. Use straight missles any time you are zoning at mostly any distance besides up close. The straight missles come out quicker then the upmissles.

Sektors tu can punish alot of projectiles if read but shouldnt be used on reaction. You can perform an Instant tu by tapping up then quickly input the tu. The instant tu can punish alot of projectiles but i would do a little testing with a friend to be sure what it can punish on reaction. If you are unsure in a match you can always do an instant extu which as safe if you have the meter to burn. Never use sektors x ray. ever. His meter should be used for extus, homing missles and breakers. never use sektors sweep. ever. use his b34 instead. dont use upmissles up close. End combos in flamethrower or an upmissle and use your throw as a mix up since your opponent should be blocking against sektors offensive onslaught most of the time.

also, dont use a combo just because its 1% more damaging. alot of times sektor players will teleport twice in a combo since they are use to doing lets say an air to air j/k tu j/k tu. They arent paying attention to screen positioning and can place themselves in the corner. Thats where sektor has a hard time. So if that second TU is gonna put you in the corner then instead of the second TU just do b21, flamethrower ender or b1. Dont try to use a front upmissle j.p just to get big damage. If it happens, it happens, dont play your game around it. Often time sektor players will see the damage output in practice mode and try to cram all of that in a real match. Just play smart and condition your opponent. Hoped this helped a little.

some sektor combos are
(all combos that dont end in a TU should end in a flamethrower, 21~flamethrower. You can also end in 11b1 to push your opponent across the screen.)

12b1 j.k tu 21~flamethrower

12b1 j.k tu j.k extu 21~flamethrower

21~TU b21 b34 TU

b2~TU B21 B34 TU

TU b21 b34 TU

Niflheim

Noob
Thanks for the help SektorCyrax. That's a lot of info, but it's all useful to him. He's also learning to stop using X-Ray as much for everyone, so he now doesn't use Sektor's X-Ray. I also taught him the instant Teleport Punch, but it's easy to punish for faster rushdown characters if you do it too close.

Thanks for the help SektorCyrax. That's a lot of info, but it's all useful to him. He's also learning to stop using X-Ray as much for everyone, so he now doesn't use Sektor's X-Ray. I also taught him the instant Teleport Punch, but it's easy to punish for faster rushdown characters if you do it too close.
LOL oh shit, i didnt kno i posted THAT much. Christ, i was gonna say like 4 things and ended up talking about almost everything with sektor lmao. yeah iTU should be used over a ground TU. It'll become natural inputting the up into TU. and yeah i would only use iTUs on reaction to a slower recovering projectile like jades boomarangs. Sub zero and kabal are tricky because they move forward during their projectiles and sometimes during the later animations of their recovery your TU will whiff which will get pretty frustrating since sektor relies on that anti-zoning against those characters.

LOL oh shit, i didnt kno i posted THAT much. Christ, i was gonna say like 4 things and ended up talking about almost everything with sektor lmao. yeah iTU should be used over a ground TU. It'll become natural inputting the up into TU. and yeah i would only use iTUs on reaction to a slower recovering projectile like jades boomarangs. Sub zero and kabal are tricky because they move forward during their projectiles and sometimes during the later animations of their recovery your TU will whiff which will get pretty frustrating since sektor relies on that anti-zoning against those characters.
How I hate that whiff. It's almost useless to iTU or wake-up EXTU in said match-ups.

I have had my wake up whiff on some me the strangest moves. Like i know it whiffs against kabals buzzsaw. Maybe we should make a list of moves that will dodge TU and just pm it to each other so the "others" don't know :-P

Sent from my Gameboy Color

sektor

i dont know the specific button but his low combo starter, i think back 3, 4 can kick people out of their wakeup, examples are scorpions and smokes teleport

RampaginDragon

Loses to uppercuts
Try useing his enhanced tele a lot. Just lost to a guy earlier doing it a lot. On wake and random ex tele. Its the first person ive ever seen do it so I din't really know how to counter it.

migosan

MK Philippines / Injustice Philippines
just wondering if there's any useful pokes out there to TU, can i d1 into tu safely?

spongebob

ಠ__ಠ
just wondering if there's any useful pokes out there to TU, can i d1 into tu safely?
You can 21 into TU but thats pointless most of the time cause you have 12b1. You could d1 into ex TU but i don't see why you would.

No character in the game has pokes (d1, d3, d4) that lead into combos on grounded opponents btw. You can link them though but TU by itself is unsafe so theres no reason to.

You can 21 into TU but thats pointless most of the time cause you have 12b1. You could d1 into ex TU but i don't see why you would.

No character in the game has pokes (d1, d3, d4) that lead into combos on grounded opponents btw. You can link them though but TU by itself is unsafe so theres no reason to.
21 can lead to his most damaging combo...along with b2.. 21 can also punish everything that 12b1 whiffs on. 21 is great in mixing up the 12 string and doing like 12, 21, 214, the second 1 hits crouchers

migosan

MK Philippines / Injustice Philippines
thanks for all the info, im trying to get sektor up there at the top, hope more and more breakthroughs would be discovered,

Dat Al

Stay Frosty
Whats the best string to use for punishing someone in a ball state? I have been using 12b1, but I find the second hit misses while the third hit connects, which is incredibly awkward for hit confiming into the TU. I've also been having a lot of trouble landing the 12b1 string after a jump in punch, as it often goes into the 11 string. Any tips on landing the string? Also, out of curiosity, does anyone have the issue that knocking someone out of a teleport with EX TU, such as Kung Lao, causes them to be launched incredibly high in the air, wiffing the the second hit of the teleport and basically wasting me a bar of meter after I made a correct read? Its incredibly frustrating to have this happen not once, but multiple times over a series of games.

Whats the best string to use for punishing someone in a ball state? I have been using 12b1, but I find the second hit misses while the third hit connects, which is incredibly awkward for hit confiming into the TU. I've also been having a lot of trouble landing the 12b1 string after a jump in punch, as it often goes into the 11 string. Any tips on landing the string? Also, out of curiosity, does anyone have the issue that knocking someone out of a teleport with EX TU, such as Kung Lao, causes them to be launched incredibly high in the air, wiffing the the second hit of the teleport and basically wasting me a bar of meter after I made a correct read? Its incredibly frustrating to have this happen not once, but multiple times over a series of games.
you can punish any blocked teleport/ball state with any normal standing combo. There is recovery time for the opponent when they touch the ground. Learn to time your punishes better and when you do the 12b1 it should hit them while they are standing. The only exception is mileenas ball roll, she doesnt stand up after its blocked for some reason. But if you are unsure when to time the punish you can do b34 tu j.k tu for about 27% i believe. Any punishes that your having with the 12b1 where the 2 whiffs you should use 21 tu b21 b34 tu instead. and yeah when sektor hits them up with the EXTU but whiffs the punching them down part then you fall down and kung lao does a wake up spin >< pretty frustrating.

ryublaze

Noob
You can use F4, 3, Teleport or F4, 4, Teleport against blocked teleports. If it's not too laggy, you can do a Neutral Jump Punch followed by a combo.