What's new

Trying out Kitana..

Evrain

Noob
Hey Kitana players,

My main is Mileena and as much as I love her, it does get boring from time to time. Which brings me to here - trying out Kitana. I've spent a good amount of time practicing with her in training mode, however, obviously playing her vs real opponents is a different ball game.

When it comes to trying to do launchers and if I miss - I feel like I'm left wide open and it feels like there is a recovery period for starting up the launcher (namely f+2, 1 and f+4, 1). Any tips for starting up combos?

Also, I'm kinda having trouble when someone is in my face and I'm frantically trying to square boost or fan lift - what to do when pressured?

I'm still trying to get used to her playstyle as it's so different from what I'm used to with Mileena (sometimes in game I'm just wishing I could tap tele kick or ball roll!)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Dark Kobra

Hitbox™ Enthusiast
Hey Kitana players,

My main is Mileena and as much as I love her, it does get boring from time to time. Which brings me to here - trying out Kitana. I've spent a good amount of time practicing with her in training mode, however, obviously playing her vs real opponents is a different ball game.

When it comes to trying to do launchers and if I miss - I feel like I'm left wide open and it feels like there is a recovery period for starting up the launcher (namely f+2, 1 and f+4, 1). Any tips for starting up combos?

Also, I'm kinda having trouble when someone is in my face and I'm frantically trying to square boost or fan lift - what to do when pressured?

I'm still trying to get used to her playstyle as it's so different from what I'm used to with Mileena (sometimes in game I'm just wishing I could tap tele kick or ball roll!)

Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.
Lo fella!! If someone is in your face, d+1 all the way. The poke is stupidly fast (6 frames)and has a good range, similar to Mileenas d+4. You can d+1~d,f+2. If this hits, you get a safe jump, also its ok chip damage aif blocked. Cross overs can be a good way to try and start your combos, but I tend to use the EX fan cancel (d,f+1+blk, then f,f as she leans back to throw the second fan, she'll dash out of it) as this stuns the opponent and kind of gives you time to dash in an full combo them.

If you mess up with a f+2,1, then try d+1 immediately after. This is quite a good move especially online (well it hasn't failed me yet).

Kitana can be devestating, but try to get her combos down as so many people have said, she's got combos that would not look out of place in Killer Instinct.

Hope this helps somewhat, but these are just my opinions only though!!

smokey

EX Ovi should launch

Her f+2,1 string is usually covered by a D+1 poke to keep you in and not "leave you wide open", throw d+1 to your hearts content, its a pretty good fallback.

Punishing with 2,1~fan lift >combo is also good because 2,1 is a very fast string, you will have good results using it.

When people are up in your grill dont just throw out fan lift, its incredibly slow startup and also very unsafe.

EX Square boost is okay for getting out of harms way, and can be quite nice for getting a zoning game going with IAF's to fan combos

D+1~cutter is a nice pressure string until people realise they can duck under the second hit of cutter to end your momentum, but keeping them in D+1~cutter pressure will build your meter, chip nicely, and can be frustrating leaving limited options.

f+4,1 unless from a jip is pretty unsafe and wont get you much joy, so try not to get triggerhappy with that string.

Another good way to get some good damage is to gamble a EX Fan cancel, because you can EXFancancel, jip,full combo. And on block, dash canceling it will keep you safe!

If you still have troubles, watch some high level kitana play and see how they handle your shortcomings, and take some notes!

Hope this helped , and good luck!

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
f4,1 is really only bad because you can get hit out of it after the f4, but f4 is actually a frame faster than f2, so it isn't a terrible choice.

And honestly, I'd never use squareboost to get away. The only time I use squareboost is to get in. d1 and 2 until you get something started. Smokey mentioned 2,1 fan lift, but definitely make use of 2,1 ex fan. When you dash cancel the ex fan, the opponent is in a stagger state that you continue the combo from (similar to Freddy's ex ground claw, but I think the stagger on that lasts a little longer).

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Wait, so you can do 2,1,ex fan and repeat?

Oh yeah, and the most punishing combo for 2,1,2?
You could indeed do 2,1 ex fan and repeat, however you would be wasting your meter when you could do 2,1 ex fan (trapping your opponent in a stagger state providing you dash cancel out of the first hit) and then jump in for a full combo for 30-40%.

And what do you mean the most punishing combo for 212? Is this kitana's 212 (which you should probably then special out of the 2,1 into something else like cutter, fan, lift, or EX variations of any of those) or someone elses 212, which if unsafe, you can usually punish most things with 2,1~lift or 2,1~ex fan for high damage combo's

rev0lver

Come On Die Young
You can certainly do a dumb Check combo by repeating 21 ex fan. But don't it's stupid. Just do it once.