What's new

Question Trait and Axe of Terror mix-ups?

NKZero

Noob
I've been wondering if you can get an almost impossible to block/very hard to block situation with trait and axe of terror.

I've been trying something where I release trait as I am above the opponent and trait hits him from the original side. Providing I time it correctly, I believe I am sometimes getting axe of terror to hit from the opposite side. Further providing that I time the two together, I believe theoretically it should get an almost unblock able situation.

Sometimes I get them both to hit on the same side in case it can be blocked, so there is a mix up there perhaps.

This is a question so is what I am posting possible at all. In any case, is there any left/right mix-ups with trait that anyone has found?

PLAYING TO W1N
LEGEND
ApertureBlack
PumpFake88
AK Pig Of The Hut
JHCRANE 14

In this game there are no left right mix ups. You block everything opposite to where your opponent is. The most you get from doing trait and axe of terror on top of your opponent is a hard to block ambiguous cross up which can be blocked in one direction , opposite to where you are

NKZero

Noob
In this game there are no left right mix ups. You block everything opposite to where your opponent is. The most you get from doing trait and axe of terror on top of your opponent is a hard to block ambiguous cross up which can be blocked in one direction , opposite to where you are
By left right I mean either blocking one way or another...so there are left and right mix-ups in the form of cross-ups vs. ambiguous cross-ups or whatever. That's what I meant.

When I set the dummy to block, I got one time where trait was blocked original side and also AoT from original side. Sometimes I got trait blocked from original side and AoT from the other side. I'm basing this on which way the dummy was facing when he was blocking both attacks.

Also a lot of times you could do a jumping attack that hits original side but carries you over to the other side...doesn't mean you block it from the cross-up side. It's not necessarily always linked to which side the opponent is on.

By left right I mean either blocking one way or another...so there are left and right mix-ups in the form of cross-ups vs. ambiguous cross-ups or whatever. That's what I meant.

When I set the dummy to block, I got one time where trait was blocked original side and also AoT from original side. Sometimes I got trait blocked from original side and AoT from the other side. I'm basing this on which way the dummy was facing when he was blocking both attacks.

Also a lot of times you could do a jumping attack that hits original side but carries you over to the other side...doesn't mean you block it from the cross-up side. It's not necessarily always linked to which side the opponent is on.
Cross ups is a one thing but whatever attacks are done at the same time,unless one is overhead and the other one is a low, will be blocked in one direction. That is why Zatanna can not do the Yoga trap from STreet fighter. In SF there are left right mix ups, Dhalsim, just like Zatana, does his Yoga inferno, which is a slowly moving fireball, and teleports behind you and you can't block both ways. But in IGAU Zatanna can not do that because both the fireball and her other attacks get blocked by pressing the same direction. A lot of characters like Martian Manhunter and lex Luthor would have had a lot of unblockable set ups if simultaneous attacks from different directions had to be blocked differently.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Cross ups is a one thing but whatever attacks are done at the same time,unless one is overhead and the other one is a low, will be blocked in one direction. That is why Zatanna can not do the Yoga trap from STreet fighter. In SF there are left right mix ups, Dhalsim, just like Zatana, does his Yoga inferno, which is a slowly moving fireball, and teleports behind you and you can't block both ways. But in IGAU Zatanna can not do that because both the fireball and her other attacks get blocked by pressing the same direction. A lot of characters like Martian Manhunter and lex Luthor would have had a lot of unblockable set ups if simultaneous attacks from different directions had to be blocked differently.

In street fighter you block away from the player. If the fireballs behind you, but he teleported infront of you, you still hold backwards. the fireball wont hit you.

The mixup comes from him having an infront and behind teleport, aswell as air teleport crossups that are harder to see. So you still have to block the same way, but you just cant tell what side hes on fast enough.

In street fighter you block away from the player. If the fireballs behind you, but he teleported infront of you, you still hold backwards. the fireball wont hit you.

The mixup comes from him having an infront and behind teleport, aswell as air teleport crossups that are harder to see. So you still have to block the same way, but you just cant tell what side hes on fast enough.
Oh, ok my bad. Don't really play SF. So than it is the same in SF as in IGAU , no left right mix ups, everything is blocked away from the opponent?

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Oh, ok my bad. Don't really play SF. So than it is the same in SF as in IGAU , no left right mix ups, everything is blocked away from the opponent?

The mixup is visual/timing based only. You ALWAYS hold back to block, the mixup is there because some attacks hit ambiguously, so theres never certainty on how to block it correctly.

The mixup is visual/timing based only. You ALWAYS hold back to block, the mixup is there because some attacks hit ambiguously, so theres never certainty on how to block it correctly.
Yeah, but I mean there is no such thing as an unblockable where it hits from both sides and has to be blocked in both directions,right?

NKZero

Noob
legion666 my bad I never knew that. Ok so it's more a case of not knowing how to block due to visual appearances. But I still have a question. What happens if they aren't timed exactly? The trait shot comes JUST before the axe of terror so technically the opponent just has to switch sides blocking surely...is that correct? Or can he just face original side and block both attacks?

This I feel works in the same way as Lex's j+3 when opponent is blocking a gravity mine (except this concerns lows and overheads).

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
legion666 my bad I never knew that. Ok so it's more a case of not knowing how to block due to visual appearances. But I still have a question. What happens if they aren't timed exactly? The trait shot comes JUST before the axe of terror so technically the opponent just has to switch sides blocking surely...is that correct? Or can he just face original side and block both attacks?

This I feel works in the same way as Lex's j+3 when opponent is blocking a gravity mine (except this concerns lows and overheads).

The timing for his block changing will be when you physically cross the center point on their character (so they have to hold the opposite direction to block)

Its not a terribly hard concept in theory, you just hold away from your opponent. In practice though you can get some tricky setups going!

NKZero - you can do this with wierd hitbox moves, like wonderwomans corner crossups

NKZero

Noob
The timing for his block changing will be when you physically cross the center point on their character (so they have to hold the opposite direction to block)

Its not a terribly hard concept in theory, you just hold away from your opponent. In practice though you can get some tricky setups going!

NKZero - you can do this with wierd hitbox moves, like wonderwomans corner crossups
Oh ok gotcha thanks for the explanation :).

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
Oh ok gotcha thanks for the explanation :).

just draw an imaginary verticle line through the center of the opponent and where your character is in relation to that line dictates which direction is "back" for them. if you cross that line and they block wrong, they are walking forwards.

NKZero

Noob
just draw an imaginary verticle line through the center of the opponent and where your character is in relation to that line dictates which direction is "back" for them. if you cross that line and they block wrong, they are walking forwards.
So it might be possible to get a mix-up with Sinestro combining trait and AoT. Just need to work on my body positioning before executing the AoT. Does the direction the opponent blocks kinda influence which way you were when you did the move? Because everything happens so fast, I cannot tell exactly which side I was on...

This set up is still tricky of course, but lex's j3 mine is a true overhead low mix up, which can not be blocked the same way and happens almost simultaneously. It is almost impossible to block if lex times the j3 well.

smokey

EX Ovi should launch
So it might be possible to get a mix-up with Sinestro combining trait and AoT. Just need to work on my body positioning before executing the AoT. Does the direction the opponent blocks kinda influence which way you were when you did the move? Because everything happens so fast, I cannot tell exactly which side I was on...
you could probably time it so they block trait then axe on opposite sides, but you would have to cross them up between hits yeah.