What's new

Guide - Cutthroat Training regiment for Kano CT - Fun ay!

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
I've decided to start a training regiment to master Kano Cutthroat. Training means: lab time and practice against CPU (medium/hard). Comments, tips, etc very welcome! The things below are all based on stuff I learned on this forum. Thanks all!

edit: As to why I want to train: I've followed up some tips and now I don't focus on winning but improving certain skills, I start enjoying the game more and winning more as a 'side effect'.

Training regiment

The things below I try to practice about 10 minutes each and then go on to the next. Not very strict, just till I'm done with it. When I'm practicing against CPU, I'm focusing per match on a single thing but of course trying to do the other things well too.

Hitconfirm
AI on 'random block kombo' and hit with F21. If blocked: Duck+block. If not blocked press 2 to make F212.
Same for B31, add 2 (B312) if it comes through.

Knife Throwing
Spam knives as fast as possible. Make it come out every time.
Neutral jump and on land throw knives immediatly.

Corner Juggle
Combo with F212 or B312 in a corner and try to land this string: 11, 112, bf3
Requires specific timing to juggle and get this everytime.

Distance training
Learning by heart at which distance you can land F4+BF3 or D4 (I'm focussing on these two atm). Others might be usefull too.

Jump in combo
Forward jump punch into b12 or b31 and follow-up with exDB1

----------------------------------------------------

Things I want to know how to train:
Run cancel combo's. I know that Kano can follow F212 up with 11, 112 in to BF3. Although I've seen the video's, I think it's nearly impossible. Is it even doable online? The problem is that I don't really know when I landed it because the first 2 punches also land without RC.

Stuff still to explore:

F33, BF3
112, BF3

Last edited:
I've decided to start a training regiment to master Kano Cutthroat. Training means: lab time and practice against CPU (medium/hard). Comments, tips, etc very welcome! The things below are all based on stuff I learned on this forum. Thanks all!

edit: As to why I want to train: I've followed up some tips and now I don't focus on winning but improving certain skills, I start enjoying the game more and winning more as a 'side effect'.

Training regiment

The things below I try to practice about 10 minutes each and then go on to the next. Not very strict, just till I'm done with it. When I'm practicing against CPU, I'm focusing per match on a single thing but of course trying to do the other things well too.

Hitconfirm
AI on 'random block kombo' and hit with F21. If blocked: Duck+block. If not blocked press 2 to make F212.
Same for B31, add 2 (B312) if it comes through.

Knife Throwing
Spam knives as fast as possible. Make it come out every time.
Neutral jump and on land throw knives immediatly.

Corner Juggle
Combo with F212 or B312 in a corner and try to land this string: 11, 112, bf3
Requires specific timing to juggle and get this everytime.

Distance training
Learning by heart at which distance you can land F4+BF3 or D4 (I'm focussing on these two atm). Others might be usefull too.

Jump in combo
Forward jump punch into b12 or b31 and follow-up with exDB1

Run cancel combo's. I know that Kano can follow F212 up with 11, 112 in to BF3. Although I've seen the video's, I think it's nearly impossible. Is it even doable online? The problem is that I don't really know when I landed it because the first 2 punches also land without RC.

Stuff still to explore:

F33, BF3
112, BF3
Swap out f212 for b121 in the corner, hit confirming b121 into ball with no meter and EX Blade Slice with meter. That, along with b31 will give you safe overhead and low hit confirms.

As for f33, this is pretty much the full story: It blows. Because the first hit is an unsafe mid, you have to do the second hit to make it safe (you're not going to tick throw of frame trap with it). That means that you are basically telegraphing to your opponent to block low. With b31 and b121, the first hits are the low/overhead, meaning the opponent cannot react, they have to guess. If they guess wrong, you get a full combo, if they guess right, you're safe.

What you want to practice aswell is using D3, D4, F4, to poke the opponent, and, on hit, quickly run in and do either b121 or b31 (you could also do a jump in punch depending on distance). Practicing can be done at home using the following:

Exercise 1:

1) Go into the move list and learn the hit and block advantage for the three moves I listed. You'll want to know which ones give you more time to act. Remember, 1 frame is 1/60th of a second, so 30 frames is half a second, 15 frames 1/4 of a second. If a move had 30 frames hit advantage, it means that during that half a second after the move hits, the opponent can only block high or low.

2) Set Dummy to 'block random kombo'. Chose a poke, attack the dummy. If the poke hits, run in and do either b121 or b31 (you can hit confirm into full combo if you wish). If blocked, hold block yourself (defending against an imaginary counter poke).

3) Pick another poke and do the same.

Exercise 2

Practice the above skill against the AI in training mode. Be sure to set meter to normal. Just focus on poking and running in for the 50/50, don't try to beat the AI.

Oh, and the distance training f4-Kano ball is a bad idea. You may judge the distance correctly, but they can still block and Kano Ball is very punishable. Stick with what I've outlined above, and learn the distance of all your pokes and f21 by recording the dummy moving back and forth and trying to hit it at the max range of your poke.

Hope that helps.

Last edited:

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
Swap out f212 for b121 in the corner, hit confirming b121 into ball with no meter and EX Blade Slice with meter. That, along with b31 will give you safe overhead and low hit confirms.

As for f33, this is pretty much the full story: It blows. Because the first hit is an unsafe mid, you have to do the second hit to make it safe (you're not going to tick throw of frame trap with it). That means that you are basically telegraphing to your opponent to block low. With b31 and b121, the first hits are the low/overhead, meaning the opponent cannot react, they have to guess. If they guess wrong, you get a full combo, if they guess right, you're safe.

What you want to practice aswell is using D3, D4, F4, to poke the opponent, and, on hit, quickly run in and do either b121 or b31 (you could also do a jump in punch depending on distance). Practicing can be done at home using the following:

Exercise 1:

1) Go into the move list and learn the hit and block advantage for the three moves I listed. You'll want to know which ones give you more time to act. Remember, 1 frame is 1/60th of a second, so 30 frames is half a second, 15 frames 1/4 of a second. If a move had 30 frames hit advantage, it means that during that half a second after the move hits, the opponent can only block high or low.

2) Set Dummy to 'block random kombo'. Chose a poke, attack the dummy. If the poke hits, run in and do either b121 or b31 (you can hit confirm into full combo if you wish). If blocked, hold block yourself (defending against an imaginary counter poke).

Exercise 2

Practice the above skill against the AI in training mode. Be sure to set meter to normal. Just focus on poking and running in for the 50/50, don't try to beat the AI.

Oh, and the distance training f4-Kano ball is a bad idea. You may judge the distance correctly, but they can still block and Kano Ball is very punishable. Stick with what I've outlined above, and learn the distance of all your pokes and f21 by recording the dummy moving back and forth and trying to hit it at the max range of your poke.

Hope that helps.
Did they change f3? It used to be -3 and f33 -8. Both safe agaisnt lot of the cast.

Did they change f3? It used to be -3 and f33 -8. Both safe agaisnt lot of the cast.
No, you're right, it is safe, I mistook it for standing 3 which is -7. F3 is -5 on block, but 13 frames start up. B3 is -3 and 14 frames start up. B31 is +1 on block, f33 is -8. B31 also had better range on the low. F33 is so outclassed by B31, the only advantage it has is a single start up frame. I really don't see any reason to use F33 when B31 exists.

Thanks for correcting me though. I don't like giving wrong information.

bdizzle2700

gotta stay sharp!
No, you're right, it is safe, I mistook it for standing 3 which is -7. F3 is -5 on block, but 13 frames start up. B3 is -3 and 14 frames start up. B31 is +1 on block, f33 is -8. B31 also had better range on the low. F33 is so outclassed by B31, the only advantage it has is a single start up frame. I really don't see any reason to use F33 when B31 exists.

Thanks for correcting me though. I don't like giving wrong information.
Your right. Seeing as its the cutthroat guide even if you do land it you need a bar to get any real damage from it. For commando and cyber you can use it like once in a match to catch someone off guard. Commando for a tick or cyber for an eye laser extension. But your def right.

Your right. Seeing as its the cutthroat guide even if you do land it you need a bar to get any real damage from it. For commando and cyber you can use it like once in a match to catch someone off guard. Commando for a tick or cyber for an eye laser extension. But your def right.
I agree, it had utility in the other variations, especially as Commando can OS.

kraezyx

I never considered you at all.
Hardest part of that (imho) is knowing when to run cancel. What I used that helped me a lot:
Watch Kano's animation for f212. As soon as he starts putting his knives away, that's when you start the next part of the combo. It also helps with hitting the 2nd f212 earlier, so you have more time for the run cancel into 112 xx bf3.
In my case, I was doing the string after f212 either too late or too fast, but just watching Kano got my timing down, and I do it online consistently now.

I agree, it had utility in the other variations, especially as Commando can OS.
Commando can OS after last patch? What moves please?

Hardest part of that (imho) is knowing when to run cancel. What I used that helped me a lot:
Watch Kano's animation for f212. As soon as he starts putting his knives away, that's when you start the next part of the combo. It also helps with hitting the 2nd f212 earlier, so you have more time for the run cancel into 112 xx bf3.
In my case, I was doing the string after f212 either too late or too fast, but just watching Kano got my timing down, and I do it online consistently now.

Commando can OS after last patch? What moves please?
His command grabs can be OS'd off D1, D3, D4 and F33. Rib Breaker works for all, but I think Power Slam only works off of D1 and F33.

This isn't an oversight. In the patch stream they said this was consciously left in.

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano

Exercise 1:

Exercise 2

Hope that helps.
Thanks! Of course this helps. You're my fucking hero! And I'm not even kidding. I've got about 35 pages printed and lying around with your Commando Kano absolute beginners thread. With this thread I wanted to make something additional for Kano CT to use on the side since some moves differ. No need to get in to that further, but you get what I mean.

As for the tips:

My reaction:
- You're right of course about the 50/50's. Focus on b12(1) and b31(2)!
- The corner juggle f212 is just to get a little bit more time to get the juggle right. b312 needs more specific timing.
- Thanks for the info about f33. The reason why f33 might be popular is because it's easier to execute. But since we're training we dont need it. Great tip.
- F4-Kanoball is in there because someone said: 'it gets them everytime'. Good suggestion, no need to train that.

edit: Set AI to normal meter is something I found out too. X-ray after X-ray sucks :)

Thanks! Of course this helps. You're my fucking hero! And I'm not even kidding. I've got about 35 pages printed and lying around with your Commando Kano absolute beginners thread. With this thread I wanted to make something additional for Kano CT to use on the side since some moves differ. No need to get in to that further, but you get what I mean.

As for the tips:

My reaction:
- You're right of course about the 50/50's. Focus on b12(1) and b31(2)!
- The corner juggle f212 is just to get a little bit more time to get the juggle right. b312 needs more specific timing.
- Thanks for the info about f33. The reason why f33 might be popular is because it's easier to execute. But since we're training we dont need it. Great tip.
- F4-Kanoball is in there because someone said: 'it gets them everytime'. Good suggestion, no need to train that.

edit: Set AI to normal meter is something I found out too. X-ray after X-ray sucks :)
In the corner, I like to do B312-32-db1(ex). 32 is really easy to hit after launching with B312. You can get around 40% with juggles afterwards with reletively little effort.

Thanks for the compliment! I'm not the strongest player, but I wanted to help beginners get through the frustrations that MKX can present. I'm glad you're finding it useful.

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
Good to know. Because I can definitely up the damage after a f212. Will give this a try. Thanks.

OmeMark

Ps4 / Kano
I've already watched a lot of your video's. They're fun, sometimes good and once in a while I learn something. For example, jump off stage interactions and airball attack. Great fun ay

Nice matches! First mk game i have taken seriously, and i have been practicing kind of the same thing trying to dial in fundamentals. I get bodied pretty bad online though, after watching some match vids I think i use F212 way to much and the delay online gets me every time. Also this video helped me alot and is definitely worth checking out PND Mustard.