What's new

General/Other Trading with Ice Blast against projectiles

Recently I've been thinking about how I want to approach projectile heavy characters and I was wondering about the Ice Blast's role.

I recently listened to the S&TB show where they covered Sub-Zero and it seemed to me like Tom Brady contradicted himself when it came to this issue.

At 1:25:15, Tom was explaining the Noob Saibot matchup and said that you're going to have to use Freeze Blast and take alot of trades against Noob.

but then later on he said you never want to use the Ice Blast to trade with a projectile at 1:35:35

What do you guys think about trading Ice Blast with a projectile? Yay or nay?

kisan

Noob
he's saying to not try and react to their projectile with a projectile of your own since you have too much startup. You want to throw yours first and then if they happen to throw theirs too then you trade and get a combo. This is easiest on noob since that's mostly his focus and has a lot of recovery but won't work as well on other characters since they can recover quick enough to block it if you're not spaced right.

Hudathan

Noob
The Noob match up is unique in that you just gotta do things outside your comfort zone to stop his spamming. Trading ice blast with Noob is ok because he also has a lot of recovery on his shadow, so the damage you can get off a freeze is often worth it. What you don't want to do is not have any threat out there for Noob and eat a couple of shadows trying to walk straight in without getting anything back for it.