What's new

Question - Heavy Weapons Tournaments and jax

Kingshootahz

Ain't nobody trilla than shootah.
Well I just went to my very first local tournament ever and it wasn't so bad but man did I ever Fuck up here's my nervous Fuck ups in the winners. First off we are @ game stop there's quite a few people that didn't bother me much but I still had that butterfly stomach shit. I should've brought a friend with me but it was my first tournament and I didn't want a bunch of 5-6 foot tatted up dread heads bringing attention to themselves and boy do they draw attention.Ok button check alright made it this far ok let's test bnbs I'm doing 123 rc in the corner by myself and freaking out because the rocket isn't coming out, took me a full 5 tries to realize I had to hit confirm something for the rocket to come out. Ok match starts I'm fighting kitana and I'm more than prepared for the fan spam shenanigans but Damn my hands are so cold every time I hit a button it feels like the buttons are sticking to them I by some miracle get her to the corner and for the life of me I can't cancel 123 into the Damn superman THE SIMPLEST OF THINGS so here I am golden opportunities just screwing up this is where in my head I'm like Fuck I should've chose a brain dead instead of Jax because boy I went from button savant to button masher in a matter of seconds I'm a decent Jax but all my rocket cancels became up machine gun and other mugshot and I hate my hands for it, between the loud crowds, cold rooms,pets and some plain weirdos those of you who play Jax at tournament level and manage to keep your execution have my respect share your secrets.

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Keep going back. Practice with different. Practice hard combos in casuals to get the hang of it. Casuals are to learn. Do not beat yourself up too much if you drop combos/cancels it can happen to anyone. Talk to people and chill. Have fun. If you get nervous find something to help calm you down. Mid match i usually close my eyes and count to 10 if i get really nervous after winning or losing.

Kingshootahz

Keep going back. Practice with different. Practice hard combos in casuals to get the hang of it. Casuals are to learn. Do not beat yourself up too much if you drop combos/cancels it can happen to anyone. Talk to people and chill. Have fun. If you get nervous find something to help calm you down. Mid match i usually close my eyes and count to 10 if i get really nervous after winning or losing.
Close my eyes count to 10 I might try that and to be honest I was contemplating never going back I was so confident that I was ready :(

Indecisive

We'll burn you all—that is your fate!
Close my eyes count to 10 I might try that and to be honest I was contemplating never going back I was so confident that I was ready :(
I was too my first time and i got bodied. But sometimes you gotta accept the lose and learn from it.

You literally have to practice. The saying "practice makes perfect" is a true statement. I have my cancels down to the point where I can zone my opponent effectively. Yes, you read that correctly, zone my opponent.

Redux

Ex Phase
I just want to say cold hands are the worst man, buy yourself a cup of coffee or something before to keep them warm don't even have to drink it lol.

EntropicByDesign

It's all so very confusing.
"practice makes perfect"

Perfect practice makes perfect. Its an important distinction.

This is why I wish I wasn't garbage, tournament nerves wouldn't effect me much. I don't say that from some stupid bragging standpoint, I've just never really had an issue getting in front of crowds of people. I get nervous, sure, but its the same type of nervousness that Id get if I was home by myself playing in a tourney, or anything, I want to win, so your adrenaline gets moving and you get hype.

The best advice I can give you, is take a deep breath as your walking up to play and realize that everyone in that room, is everyone in that room. Its a conglomerate of random people with random skills, likes, disliked, beliefs, etc. You are separate only in that they are looking at you, which changes nothing. The weight of a stare can be overwhelmingly heavy, until you consciously realize that its *not*.

When I used to fight, as Id walk up, Id just kinda of accept the people around me and in the stands and once I accepted them, Id shrug and do a little ego building. It sounds stupid, but, in your own mind, build yourself up. YOU are competing, not them. They couldn't hack it. They couldn't do what you do. So what if you get laid out? You are still putting your ass on the line, not them. And if the people staring at you are also competitors like yourself, shrug again, its your turn, they've done this before and know how it goes, you win or you lose, both outcomes happen to EVERY BODY, and if they're judgmental because you got your ass beat, then you know they are in the wrong sport to begin with, thus beneath your notice and concern.

See, you had a positive experience, you just don't realize it. Lemme ask you a question, are you worse at Jax (or mkx in general) after the tournament? Are your fingers broken or hands damaged? Are people on your lawn with signs that say you suck and your cancels weren't crispy? I'm betting not. I'm betting your sitting at home, chilling out and relaxing (I'm resisting more lyrics here). I'm betting you aren't barred from Gamestop or any further competitions.. You had, essentially, a worse-case scenario. You fucked up, you feel apart to a degree and you lost. But.. the worlds still spinning and you are still the same man, body and spirit that went to the tourney to begin with.

Which means NEXT TIME, why worry so much? I mean, you have already experienced the WORST POSSIBLE OUTCOME that a case of tourney-nerves could account for, and you are still whole, standing and unphased. Not to mention back and ready to compete again. Ill bet those nerves don't mean shit, why should they? We get nervous because we fear, you already faced your fear and realized it wasn't worth your notice or concern.

I won my first 6 public fights. Crowds were 50-1500 people and for me, it got harder each time. I knew a loss would come, anyone who says they used to fight then says some none-sense about a perfect record, is lying through his/her teeth. ESPECIALLY mixed martial arts. And I was never dumb enough to think I was a virtuoso, I was solid, I thought I was quite good, but an undefeated legend? Um, no. I've been MOPPED in the gym by guys who were barely even part-timers and were three weight classes UNDER me. I knew a loss would come.

It finally did. A skinny black guy submitted me in the middle of the second round with a rear naked choke. I tapped out before I passed out, but I was still barely able to stand, had to be helped out of the ring and past 1500 people, back to the dressing room/janitors closet we were using. Everyone was crowded around me and offering condolences and trying to make me feel better, all I was doing was trying to clear my head and see straight.. But once I kinda came to, I popped up and was like fuck yeah, lets go get some food boys, I'm hungry. And from that day on, what nerves I had built up were totally gone. I could nap before fights, I didn't get freaked out or even overly hyped up. I had experienced almost the worst case scenario (worst would have been getting knocked the fuck out, which didn't happen until my 10th fight - DON'T FIGHT ABOVE YOUR WEIGHT CLASS. DON'T.) and I was still standing and fine. I fought for fun, it didn't put food on my table, so a loss was just a thing that happened. I was still standing (after the fact... lol) eating, drinking, I had intentions of making a few calls and finding female companionship for the evening (god I miss being single.. and in my early 20s), and I was ready to hit the gym after work the next day and keep training.

The world keeps turning and in that, I find a great deal of solace.

Kingshootahz

"practice makes perfect"
Ok I won't lie I went back a second time to a tournament, played some casuals realized my timing is too quick because was back to playing heavily online, met some new people then got to my first match, boom! Nerves,but I tried to calm down and remembered what I read on this thread, I put my headphones counted to 10-and boom! No nerves! But I got my ass promptly handed to me by grandmaster sub because I dropped all my combos but that's no excuse, I also lost in losers bracket to by relentless Jason but then after playing with a new friend I met there who also lost I got my timing back and paid back that subzero I lost too in full. He also got really salty:)

All in all practice makes perfect and what you guys showed me here was really helpful also do not play online at all days before a tournament.

MkPeezy

Unicorn Papi
Ok I won't lie I went back a second time to a tournament, played some casuals realized my timing is too quick because was back to playing heavily online, met some new people then got to my first match, boom! Nerves,but I tried to calm down and remembered what I read on this thread, I put my headphones counted to 10-and boom! No nerves! But I got my ass promptly handed to me by grandmaster sub because I dropped all my combos but that's no excuse, I also lost in losers bracket to by relentless Jason but then after playing with a new friend I met there who also lost I got my timing back and paid back that subzero I lost too in full. He also got really salty:)

All in all practice makes perfect and what you guys showed me here was really helpful also do not play online at all days before a tournament.
Edenian fans got you nervous huh? :DOGE

HuttonMD

ADM Riddles
@Kingshootahz

How did you get game stop to hold a tournament?!?! Mine fed me some bs how the game is rated M so they couldn't have it for everyone to see or something like that.

Anyway keep practicing and you will do better next time. Good luck

RM slacked

Shinnok trash from Canada.
It gets a lot easier if you keep going, I feel like I'm basically playing casuals during tournament now at my local. Majors on the other hand are a different beast.

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
@Kingshootahz and @MkPeezy theres one in the BX tomorrow night and another held by the guys that had the GameStop one on Friday night in QNZ this week if you guys can make it. I'll be at both.

How did you get game stop to hold a tournament?!?! Mine fed me some bs how the game is rated M so they couldn't have it for everyone to see or something like that.
That's how we roll in NY. :cool:

Israfel

Designer for BxA
Well I just went to my very first local tournament ever and it wasn't so bad but man did I ever Fuck up here's my nervous Fuck ups in the winners. First off we are @ game stop there's quite a few people that didn't bother me much but I still had that butterfly stomach shit. I should've brought a friend with me but it was my first tournament and I didn't want a bunch of 5-6 foot tatted up dread heads bringing attention to themselves and boy do they draw attention.Ok button check alright made it this far ok let's test bnbs I'm doing 123 rc in the corner by myself and freaking out because the rocket isn't coming out, took me a full 5 tries to realize I had to hit confirm something for the rocket to come out. Ok match starts I'm fighting kitana and I'm more than prepared for the fan spam shenanigans but Damn my hands are so cold every time I hit a button it feels like the buttons are sticking to them I by some miracle get her to the corner and for the life of me I can't cancel 123 into the Damn superman THE SIMPLEST OF THINGS so here I am golden opportunities just screwing up this is where in my head I'm like Fuck I should've chose a brain dead instead of Jax because boy I went from button savant to button masher in a matter of seconds I'm a decent Jax but all my rocket cancels became up machine gun and other mugshot and I hate my hands for it, between the loud crowds, cold rooms,pets and some plain weirdos those of you who play Jax at tournament level and manage to keep your execution have my respect share your secrets.
Congrats on making it to your first tournament. Honestly I think that is the first step. My first tournament had 40 entrants and I went 1-2. I got that one out of the way and I have been making top 8s ever since. First time jitters get us all.

Kingshootahz

Congrats on making it to your first tournament. Honestly I think that is the first step. My first tournament had 40 entrants and I went 1-2. I got that one out of the way and I have been making top 8s ever since. First time jitters get us all.
Thanks! Much appreciated now if you only would drop summoner because we still can't hang:DOGE

Kingshootahz

Tomorrow night in the BX and Fri night in Qnz. Which one can you make? I don't mind winning with the random select for once. :DOGE
How far in BX and where in Qnz because I'm live in Flatbush and Bronx is a bit out my way but Qnz for sure

SaltShaker

In Zoning We Trust
How far in BX and where in Qnz because I'm live in Flatbush and Bronx is a bit out my way but Qnz for sure
In the BX by Simpson St tomorrow. A few stops before 180th. Might be a little far from where you're coming depending on the train you take.

In Qnz it's close to where you went the last time, this Friday.

I'll PM you the details later on time, address, etc.