What's new

To pressure or not to pressure after knockdown in corner?

Say you knockdown your opponent in a corner, should you keep up with pressure and keep attacking the air so if he gets up without wake up he gets nailed?

What if he has a slide or shoulder ram type wake up, should you sit at sweep distance and low block?

What are some tips on how to keep the pressure on during a knockdown in the corner?

Loot

the special effects
It entirely depends on who you are and who your opponent is. Someone like Kano, if you have them in the corner for some reason, can stuff certain wake ups with his F3, whereas Raiden can stuff wake up teleports with a properly timed Superman. It entirely dependant on the present fighters.

evansgambit

Guardian of Outworld
keep attacking the air so if he gets up without wake up he gets nailed?
I wouldn't be whiffing attacks on a capable player, as you are betting on how good they can time their wake up attacks. They know you can't block at this point. You just have to time your attack to hit them as they get up. I would be more inclined to wait for the wakeup attack, block and punish.

To pressure or not to pressure after a knockdown in the corner.... hmmm,

From purely a mathematical standpoint, you have to weigh up what your risking against what they're risking. Things to consider: pro and cons

a) How big is your corner combo? This is what they are betting against. - pro
b) Who has the life lead and is it significant? This determines whether they're willing to do a wake up or risky play.
c) Does their wakeup special attack open the door for a big combo against you? - con
d) Does your character have a strong 50/50 mixup that leads to a big combo? - pro
e) If you don't have this, you have to condition your opponent to set it up. Eg. Always pressuring low on their wakeup, at least twice previously, and then go for the overhead.
f) Do they have 2 bars for a breaker, which makes them more inclined to do a wakeup attack or a risky play? - con
g) Do you have 2 bars for a breaker, to put them back in the corner, if you guessed wrong? - pro

From the opponent's point of view, the cost of mistakes are higher. Any blocked unsafe special like the slide means they take bigger damage than they normally would. I would say the best thing for them to do is to block or a delayed wakeup, unless it was a big combo hi-lo guessing game - in which case a wakeup would beat both options but lose to block.

Having said all that, your liklihood of success depends on how you've been conditioning them previously. But ideally you have to demonstrate that you can do both ocassionally (I would say about 50% of the time) just to put some doubt in your opponent's mind.