What's new

Question - Drunken Master Tips on DM neutral?

Agilaz

It has begun
Anybody got tips on how to play DM's neutral? Standing back and drinking to coax your opponent to come in doesn't seem to viable since many things can easily punish full screen drink.

I'm kinda confused, his frame data is so weird for the type of character he's supposed to be..

Cosmos

Noob
Anybody got tips on how to play DM's neutral? Standing back and drinking to coax your opponent to come in doesn't seem to viable since many things can easily punish full screen drink.

I'm kinda confused, his frame data is so weird for the type of character he's supposed to be..

Df2 is your best mid, it covers two character spaces and anti-airs for a full combo.
D4 is a great poke that works from the same distance you want to be using df2.
Applying a mix of these two will start conditioning opponents to respect you from two character distances.

Once you have people respecting you, you can start applying your slower normals such as b3 mixup and f3 mixups. You can also really mess with people with a dd4xxdd1 the idea is that this is how you start building levels.

That's basically my foundation but it's hard to say how to play neutral as it's specific to each character and variation in a lot of cases.