What's new

throwing rounds for stealing enemy meter gain

miloPKL

soundcloud.com/pukelization
sorry if this is a topic of discussion which has been far too trodden. i personally havent seen a thread on this before.

sometimes i question whether it is worthwhile fighting back in a round that will not grant the opponent match win, if i have a large [at least 2 bars] meter lead and the opponent is on less than a bar, or perhaps less than two. im sure everyone has been in the situation where, lets say, you've won round 1, you have full meter, round 2 begins. your opponent takes you by surprise or off guard, or you make a couple bad decisions in the beginning of round two, maybe mistake a 50/50 blockstring or two and before you know it you're on 30% health. you're still carrying your full or near full meter, your opponent spent it to bring you down in r2, or he spent it dealing with you in r1.

dont say this doesnt happen to you. it happens to me, it happens to high level players on stream.

especially as a kung lao player, a character often said to make great use of block strings and chip damage with a game-changing xray, my opponent is on 80-90HP, im on 20-30HP - do i want to continue my assault and try to win this round back at the risk of granting meter to my opponent for round three? i certainly do not want to use a breaker at this point with my HP so low. the comeback factor in round 2 is now lowered because in order to turn the match around, i must play very carefully and spend meter in only the most efficient of places, however all the while im granting more meter to my opponent.

my thought pattern is, because i played so great in round one, and my opponent has myself at 2-3 bars and 30%HP, where he is a bar or less and 80% because he's blown it on a breaker in R1 or he's used it to beat me down in R2, do i want to try to win the round back? even if i attempt to play it safe and spend just one meter, or even no meter, a few blockstrings and a combo later on my opponent, hes now sitting at 30%HP but he has a breaker and a chance at gaining an xray. instead, i could have lamed my way out of the round giving myself a full 3 bars meaning a 2 bar lead on my opponent, and we are back to equal on our health.

what im saying is ive lost a round, sure. but with the odds stacked against me, ive essentially reset the round with a huge meter advantage, ive gained 70% life and he's gained 10-20. the chances of me winning round 3 are much higher and i personally feel very confident in this situation with such a meter advantage.

thoughts? please explain to me your view on why this is a bad idea over all.

and before you judge me on supposed 'pussy' 'weakling' or 'bitch' tactics, please remember what Reo said recently about fighting games and 'honor'.

A F0xy Grampa

Problem X Promotions
Depends really, KL doesnt have an amazing comeback factor so I guess I see your logic.

Take a character like Cage though, I've come back from 1% against 100% with chip damage so many times you can never count yourself out

GNG Iniquity

#bufftaquito #punchwalk #whiffycage
It's really character specific. KL's comeback factor is very low, obviously, so I would say it's a better use to save your meter in the next round for that specific character. Cage, Quan, Cyrax and Scorpion however? Huge comeback factors. Obviously, I'm not saying don't lay your pad down and give up, but the ability to come back is hindered for him.

aj1701

Warrior
Ya, I wouldn't throw the round, but I certainly try to keep the meter for round three. In round two if it looks against me I'll fight back, and try to get them to spend meter. Its possible to make a comeback, but ya if I'm at 30% and they still have 90, I'm not going to use my meter (well, unless I'm being dumb).

HGTV Soapboxfan

"Always a Pleasure"
Depends really, KL doesnt have an amazing comeback factor so I guess I see your logic.

Take a character like Cage though, I've come back from 1% against 100% with chip damage so many times you can never count yourself out
Ahh yes, the jc comeback factor. Me and my friends now have a jar that everybody puts a dollar in when I make a crazy comeback with jc. But anyway, I wouldnt throw the round, but I take a different approach a lot of times in this situation. These rounds are the time that I feel like i can take some real risk, as i expect to lose the round anyway, but if i do guess right, I may build their meter up a little bit, but then force them to break. Then they have no meter.

If I have almost full meter and I am losing the second round, I keep the meter and try to win without it. There is no guarantee that I will win the 2nd round even if I do expend the meter, so its always good to play for the 3rd round, which is the best policy all around imo, because you just never know. I try to use minimal meter in round 2 to save it for a potential round 3. I like going into round 3 with at least a breaker. Especially if you're at a severe life disadvantage, its best to just take your losses and live to fight for the next round.

SunnyD

24 Low Hat!
A little off topic but i didnt want to make a whole other thread for just one question:

What the hell determines "comeback factor"? Im assuming from given examples its the ability to put yourself in an advantageous position after a combo?