What's new

Tech - Grandmaster Throw Break Into Clone Freeze

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
GM Sub-Zero can grab a cornered opponent and, regardless of throw success or throw tech, freeze them via clone for a free follow up, dealing well over the normal 12% and jailing with another safe clone where it normally wouldn't be available.

I saw @Tom Brady post a video about this a while ago

(
),

and today watching replays, I saw Madzin do it in VSFighting 5 Grand Finals to Foxy Grandpa. But no one mentioned how to do it so... To do this, end any corner combo with f12 > clone and scout a max range grab.

I had to lab for a bit to find what distances worked for males/ females, but both are possible, and fairly easy on blocking hitboxes. Visually, the clone should look as if it's stepping on the opponents front foot with it's ice cold Jordan's. Sub Zero himself should have his front foot midway (shout-outs to Midway) between the clones feet. You can set the range up fairly consistently if they block a close d3, which is already a typical tick throw set up.

Route for me is
- b33 xx ice ball, whiff clone, ji2, b2 242, end f12 (26%) safe clone... max range grab (break/ freeze) b2, 242, end b334 (23%) safe clone or end f12 (22%) safe clone.

There are other ways to do this for sure, you can see it in the link above. Test stuff out and share what you find!

Last edited:
GM Sub-Zero can grab a cornered opponent and, regardless of throw success or throw tech, freeze them via clone for a free follow up, dealing well over the normal 12% and jailing with another safe clone where it normally wouldn't be available.

I saw @Tom Brady post a video about this a while ago

(
),

and today watching replays, I saw Madzin do it in VSFighting 5 Grand Finals to Foxy Grandpa. But no one mentioned how to do it so... To do this, end any corner combo with f12 > clone and scout a max range grab.

I had to lab for a bit to find what distances worked for males/ females, but both are possible, and fairly easy on blocking hitboxes. Visually, the clone should look as if it's stepping on the opponents front foot with it's ice cold Jordan's. Sub Zero himself should have his front foot midway (shout-outs to Midway) between the clones feet. You can set the range up fairly consistently if they block a close d3, which is already a typical tick throw set up.

Route for me is
- b33 xx ice ball, whiff clone, ji2, b2 242, end f12 (26%) safe clone... max range grab (break/ freeze) b2, 242, end b334 (23%) safe clone or end f12 (22%) safe clone.

There are other ways to do this for sure, you can see it in the link above. Test stuff out and share what you find!
Them ice cold J's to fresh

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer

After reading that post by Qwark28, these two threads have some stark differences. Nothing wrong with that, variety is always nice. But your post came off as being against community growth in your dismissal of this thread. I'd appreciate if you'd take another look at the both of them and decide to disregard this thread afterwards, if you still feel some sorta way about it.

- The set up Qwark describes is stiff, yet consistent. The example posted in this thread states that you simply need to end in f12. This is true, with the rule of thumb being the higher the f12 hits, the more success you will find forming clone.

- This thread introduces the idea that a close, blocked d3 will set the grab distance to make this set up work consistently (and is also a very effective tick throw set up). This d3 check would stuff an attempt to neutral duck or jump/ jump attack, leaving armor as the only immediate response from the opponent. Depending on the match up, this is dangerous as this clone set up is the exact same set up as the armor shredding clone. If you haven't seen that thread, I'd welcome you to take a look.

- On that note, this thread tested on a blocking male and female opponent (Kung Lao/ Sonya). This eliminates some of the pain that comes with the breathing hitboxes. It's worth noting as testing without this factor yields less consistent results.

- The example combo provided above is possibly optimal from b33, taking a little over a 4th of the health bar. Qwark's video was more a proof of concept, where this shows a more efficient use of SZ's resources is possible.

At this point I've tested vs. Mileena, Kitana, Sonya, Kung Lao, Jason, Kenshi, and Scorpion. The results lead me to believe the set up is possible on everyone.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Well... No one said it was new, I apologize if that's the perception. The OP states Tom Brady and Madzin have already done this, but the thread that states how to do this is buried, and this thread has some new info. Hopefully it will help polish the tech as a whole.