What's new

Question Thoughts on Stryker guide: Tom Brady's Living Guide

If anyone's had the chance to look at Tom Brady's guide on Stryker I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on his BnB suggestions and strategy breakdown.

His BnBs for Stryker seem simpler compared to the one's suggested on this board and the breakdown doesn't really elaborate on gun cancels beyond the suggestion that they are gimmicky.

I've been wanting to give Stryker more of a whirl online (currently my main form of playing/leveling). I'm not the greatest player, I main Sub but I find some of the board suggested BnBs hard to consistently do: such as the b32, and b2/f2 starters.

Brady's simpler BnB's potentially seem more suited to a noob like me but I don't know if that's the right way to ingrain good Stryker habits. (I've yet to practice with him beyond lab as I feel really really shaky with how different Stryker feels don't really have his flow down yet).

* Sorry I realized this question could've been better suited in the Q and A thread I thought I managed to delete this thread but I guess that's not an option*

Espio

Kokomo
If anyone's had the chance to look at Tom Brady's guide on Stryker I was wondering what your guys thoughts were on his BnB suggestions and strategy breakdown.

His BnBs for Stryker seem simpler compared to the one's suggested on this board and the breakdown doesn't really elaborate on gun cancels beyond the suggestion that they are gimmicky.

I've been wanting to give Stryker more of a whirl online (currently my main form of playing/leveling). I'm not the greatest player, I main Sub but I find some of the board suggested BnBs hard to consistently do: such as the b32, and b2/f2 starters.

Brady's simpler BnB's potentially seem more suited to a noob like me but I don't know if that's the right way to ingrain good Stryker habits. (I've yet to practice with him beyond lab as I feel really really shaky with how different Stryker feels don't really have his flow down yet).

* Sorry I realized this question could've been better suited in the Q and A thread I thought I managed to delete this thread but I guess that's not an option*
I didn't read his guide, I don't even know where it is to post my opinion on it.

You need to simply practice to get the combos down and possibly slow down your inputs, you don't have to rush with inputs as a lot of us including myself used to do. The timing and such is important. If you're struggling with combos try learning simpler stuff first like 1,1,4 or 2,3,2, or 1,2 first and expand from there.

His other big damage starter is back 1,2,2 which you can follow up with gun shot, 1,2 roll toss for 32% or if you want a simplified version till you get more comfortable with the character, try back 1,2,2, 4, roll toss.

The only way to really get comfortable with a character is to play them in matches, try arcade ladder if you're not ready to play human opponents, you've gotta try performing strings in actual fights, so start there. I played tag ladder with a character I'm good with and a starter character to make it more comfortable, but even if you're not good with him, still try him against human opponents, so what if you lose, you have to start somewhere right? You have to get your feet wet with a character.

As for gun cancels, they are no more gimmicky than Rain's cancels or Sub-Zero's cancels, I don't think that's an accurate assesment from the guide. They build meter, can set up a great deal of mix ups, bait opponents into doing unsafe things like teleports, they help with space control and are great for mind games.

Edit: I knew your name was familiar, good to see you around these parts:D.

Carefoot

http://youtube.com/nickcarefoot

Hes half right on them being a parlor trick they are only a parlor trick if you use them during vunerable frames there is tons of gun cancel use I have seen on this board and that I can execute - that if done properly are a very safe and effective way at building meter (do not gun cancel at full meter its pointless AND you risk doing X-Ray).

Downloading living guide now too check for updates :
Brady, Tom (2011-06-21). Tom Brady's MK9 Living Guide (Kindle Locations 4527-4529). Dragusoft. Kindle Edition.

The highest non-meter posted by Brady for stryker is for 34% but even Police Brutality aka PMarc does 40% midscreen no meter as his bnb on PSN. So I beg too differ XD

Bradys guide isnt a perfect guide by any means but its got the fundamentals of anti-airing at a tournament level. (Uppercut, d+1 for tricky crossup jump ins and then standing 4 for the straight on jump in shenanigans.)

But your right I think the combos on this forum are pretty much unmatched.