What's new

Strategy - Grandmaster This Goro MU...

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
Inspired in part by the recent Tom Brady (Grandmaster Sub-Zero) vs REO (Tigrawr Fury Goro) set (I liked the video even), I took to the lab to look at some mechanics of the match up. I found a few interesting special move interactions and strategies which I'll outline below.

Exhibit A - Goro's Stomp/ ex Krush aka "tele-stomp." If Goro uses this in the neutral, Sub is left with 2 basic options; 1. move out da way > whiff punish (or reset the neutral). This can work well enough, but the Goro player can read this movement and aim tele-stomp accordingly, or 2. anti-air the stomp. Sub-Zero DOES NOT need meter to anti air stomp. Although ex frost bomb is an excellent counter option to stomp (sometimes X-ray too), there will be times where a meterless answer is all you've got. Here's how to do it...

• Method 1: Clone. If input the moment Goro leaves the top of the screen, he'll fall right on top of it, whether he uses meter or naw. Roughly 17% punish.
  • Method 2: Ice burst (not ex frost bomb, meterless ice burst) will anti-air stomp when done on reaction. Timing is similar to clone. Meterless stomp or not, this will either trade (late reaction) or send Goro flying (early reaction). 9% punish here.
  • Method 3: Slide. It is possible to time slide such that it's ridiculously high hit box (around the back of Sub's head) will strike Goro before stomp hits Sub-Zero. This method is pretty inconsistent, can trade, lose clean, or more often than not whiff and reset neutral/ switch sides. Only an 8% gain on this guy.
Exhibit 2 - Ex punch walk. Talking about the corner specifically, Goro players love to wake up punch walk out of SZ's corner set ups. And why not? It's a great answer to SZ's most powerful position. The Grandmaster has 2 ways to stuff this; 1. armor break him back to the bottom of the tier list like the swag-tastic ice slinger you are (credit to UA| Tom Brady) with clone > f4 xx ex frost bomb, or 2. reverse Goro's inputs/ actions with cross over ji2.

That sounds weird right? But when timed correctly, Goro's punch walk auto corrects into the corner while Sub-Zero lands outside of it allowing for a heavy whiff punish. We're talking ~50% meterless, all because Goro wanted SZ to catch those hands. The down side to this is that it works best off a b12/ 123 xx slide ender. This could work for or against us as our better opponents know slide =/= safe clone. Anyway, here's what it looks like.

The initial corner combo will do 34%, ji2 and d4 deal an unscaled 8%, and the punish does 38%, all meterless. I'm not a wizard, but I know a guy and he says that sequence deals a total 80% and costs Goro a bar. If you don't think that's the dopest shit ever, you can get out of my face.

Limitations and Issues with ji2: Sometimes punch walk will hit behind Goro. Sometimes punch walk will not come out because you've crossed your opponent up too many times. Test for yourself and see what you find works for you. I'll tag SZ mains from best to last best.

@zoofs
@Tom Brady
@Madzin

RYX

BIG PUSHER
if you're tryna cross up too much goro can check you with EX stomp. at least if you're an online warrior like me and @zoofs back in tha good days before he got a VD

i can't remember if it still keeps goro in the corner or not but it's worth being aware of

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
True, it is read based. I feel like the risk/ reward is in our favor here though. What's he get like ~15% with ex krush? vs. the 3/4's of his life bar we'd take otherwise. At the end of the day, it's an alternative or a gimmick even.

BUT it works on a ton of wake ups, like D'Vorah, Jason, Kung Jin, etc. Just thought I'd focus on Goro for now.

zoofs

bless
just kinda sucks that its read based and they can somewhat ex stomp on reaction or even wakeup up1/2 possibly

still a good idea to occasionally try

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I'm not sure what would make Goro players ex telestomp over ex punch walk though, short of knowing something like this exists. As far as I've seen, beyond Tom's armor break, not much beats that option. Where as telestomp... exhibit A.

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
until this happens
You gotta take a look at that "limitations and issues" blurb back in the OP though. Cookies kinda sucked when they first came out I bet, just sugary dough? Lame. But people played around with that crap and now we have chocolate chip and Oreo's. This is more of a "let's improve upon this" type of thing. Refine it as a community. Make a better cookie or something.

You gotta take a look at that "limitations and issues" blurb back in the OP though. Cookies kinda sucked when they first came out I bet, just sugary dough? Lame. But people played around with that crap and now we have chocolate chip and Oreo's. This is more of a "let's improve upon this" type of thing. Refine it as a community. Make a better cookie or something.
no doubt... just wanted to share some dumbness

Ze Dingo

D4->F2 = unblockable. Ice Clone = unpunishable.
Good stuff.

Can you make the thread I PMed you about, as well? :p

Lokheit

Noob
I mentioned this briefly in the GM thread, there seems to be a simpler solution against Ex Punchwalk that can be done on a read from your typical clone setup distance: Neutral Jump Kick.

You hit for 7 free damage, he whifs going under you thanks to NJK's after hit displacement, you get a full combo with initial JIP for more damage and send him back to the corner (jumping over after the midcombo freeze).

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
@EMPEROR_KNICKS since you defeated most Sub-Zero mains (besides myself)

What's your opinion from a Goro's perspective on the MU?
I think its 5-5 at least in kuatan, goro can destroy ice clones, cant really be armor broken in the corner, goro can punish your overhead with chest lunge and has options. That being said sub is still sub and goros large hitbox makes hitting goro easier, also sub alot of the time can jump in on goro for free, as up 1 and 2 only stop crossups and make it harder or less reliable to anti air further from that, goro needs to spend a bar to get out of the corner like most, also my stomp alot of the time as useless unless i get a clone read as you can just run, and then whiff punish with slide.Also sub can ice clone goros stomp and whiff punish alot of his stuff for free.

Last edited:

RM Ree

Shiba Tamer
I think its 5-5 at least in kuatan, goro can destroy ice clones, cant really be armor broken in the corner, goro can punish your overhead with chest lunge and has options. That being said sub is still sub and goros large hitbox makes hitting goro easier, also sub alot of the time can jump in on goro for free, as up 1 and 2 only stop crossups and make it harder or less reliable to anti air further from that, goro needs to spend a bar to get out of the corner like most, also my stomp alot of the time as useless unless i get a clone read as you can just run, and then whiff punish with slide.
Dat f3 xx telestomp combo ender is the truth though. I'm not even sure if we can get out of the f3 xx MB stomp ender.

Labbing that out, I realized that the tech roll > wake up mechanic in this game actually has 3 different speeds at which a wake up can come out. Anyone else experience this? @Lokheit ?

EMPEROR_KNICKS

Master of Kombat(frauds)
Dat f3 xx telestomp combo ender is the truth though. I'm not even sure if we can get out of the f3 xx MB stomp ender.

Labbing that out, I realized that the tech roll > wake up mechanic in this game actually has 3 different speeds at which a wake up can come out. Anyone else experience this? @Lokheit ?
ugh f3 exx stomp, you can techroll it