What's new

They comin' for you Freddy - The Freddy Zoning Strategy Thread

M2Dave

Zoning Master
I may as well reveal Freddy's strong zoning strategies before NRS turns Mortal Kombat 9 into Super Nerf Fighter 4.

The two main zoning tools are the following.

Glove Toss (b,f+2) - The Glove Toss is equivalent to the pre-patch Kano Knife Toss but better! It is a very fast projectile with very fast recovery, a solid hitbox, and pushback on block. The Glove Toss is safe on block at all ranges and leaves Freddy at a slight advantage when it connects. EX Glove Toss cannot be crouched. When it connects full screen away, you can follow up with far ground spike for a juggle. Glove toss is reflectable and absorbable by Nightwolf and Kenshi and parriable by Smoke. Glove toss is tied with Kabal's instant aerial gas blast and Skarlet's daggers as the best projectile in the game.

Ground Spike (d,b+1 for close, d,f+1 for medium, and d,b,f+1 for far) - You can use the Ground Spikes in accordance to the Glove Toss to keep your opponent where you want him/her to be. Ground Spikes function like Shang Tsung's Ground Skulls, more or less. While Ground Spikes are rather fast (in fact, fast enough to punish Ermac's Telekinetic Push at max range), you can jump to avoid them in most circumstances. Due to their speed, however, you can hit confirm one into another with relative ease. I believe all versions are roughly -9 on block. Do not spam the close version on the usual suspects of Kung Lao and Reptile because they can punish it consistently with d,f+1 (spin) and b,f+2 (elbow dash) respectively. Reptile can even elbow dash the medium Ground Spike sometimes. The EX version of the Ground Spike auto-corrects where your opponent is located and creates a tremendous stun for combo follow ups. All versions lower Freddy's hitbox which allows him to crouch under some projectiles such as Kano's Knife Toss. Also, when done early, all versions can hit some teleport special attacks such as Mileena's Tele Kick and Sektor's Teleport Uppercut. Ground Spike is neither reflectable nor absorbable by Nightwolf or Kenshi nor parriable by Smoke.

The following is an example of a simple full screen mix up that works against most characters. There are exceptions. Do keep in mind that all combos involving glove toss and ground spikes are unbreakable.

Any time glove toss is blocked full screen away, far ground spike must also be blocked. You cannot jump, teleport, or do an attack with armor. The far ground spike has the largest hitbox of any ground spike. So, when far ground spike connects (full screen away, obviously), another far ground spike cannot be front dashed. The opponent can only jump. If the opponent jumps forward, medium ground spike, which comboes into two far ground spikes, is free to connect. Glove toss can also be timed to connect on jumping opponents full screen away. When glove toss connects as AA, you have enough time to combo into two far ground spikes. You will notice that the opponent always finds himself/herself in the same position (i.e., on the ground full screen away) if you execute your zoning game plan correctly. You can repeat the process until your opponent manages to approach. Freddy is not an effective up close fighter, but he builds super meter very well zoning, so you should have at least two bars of super meter to use on a combo breaker by the time your opponent is close.

These projectile traps are limited against Kung Lao (dive kick, teleport) and Reptile (elbow dash) who are Freddy's worst match ups. The projectile traps are even more limited against Raiden, but if the Freddy player takes on an aggressive approach, I believe that the match up is even.

As far as the renowned glitches go, there is the following.

1. Glove Toss appear from the other side of the screen. If Freddy is player 1 and performs the Glove Toss, the Glove Toss may return from the other side of the screen (i.e., player 2 side). The Glove Toss glitch is entirely graphical as the "returning" Glove Toss is harmless to Freddy's opponents.

2. Projectile immunity glitch. This glitch is a somewhat more severe depending whether your character relies on projectiles or not. When Freddy gets hit out of the regular teleport with a physical attack, a glitch happens in which he is immune to all projectiles for at least 15 seconds. Cyrax, for example, is then unable to grab Freddy with his net, even in combos.

Make a comment or suggestion. Ask a question. Any feedback is welcome.

Nevrosis

Keelawutaye!
Some nice info here. Thx dave.

It's true that Freddy isn't great up close. I find that Back 3 3 works well tho when the enemy closes in. It has good range and is a low hit (most people will block high expecting a Back 2) however it's a bit slow. You can then combo into enhanced spike, JIP Back 1 2 Up 1 etc...

Also Nightmare Stance is awesome for pushing away those aggressive players. It has an overhead mid low hit and anti-air option allowing you to have the advantage no matter what your opponent is gonna do after dashing towards you. On top of that you dodge high projectiles and nightmare stance 1 is a combo starter.

M2Dave

Zoning Master
Nevrosis said:
Also Nightmare Stance is awesome for pushing away those aggressive players. It has an overhead mid low hit and anti-air option allowing you to have the advantage no matter what your opponent is gonna do after dashing towards you. On top of that you dodge high projectiles and nightmare stance 1 is a combo starter.
Well-said. I agree. The stance is very good. I would just like to add that all attacks from the stance are safe too.

Freddy has some really solid tools. Knowing NRS, I do not expect them to be present after the next patch, whenever it comes out.

JHCRANE 14

GO VOLS!!!
Freddy's glove toss is very similar to Kano's pre-patch knife throw as far as effectivness, but it is a little different for characters who don't have any air control (like Freddy). With Kano it was a problem because he has up ball and down ball which gives Kano a respectable air game. So, because Freddy can't perform any specials in the air don't expext to many patches to come out for glove toss. However, other areas of Freddy need to be fixed for sure, like the projectile glitch.