What's new

Theory on how Rage will HELP MKvsDC

Azuro

Noob
I wouldn't be surprised if everyone else here hasn't figured this. Anyway, copy&paste of my original post on MKU.

I'm fairly sure everyone who's read through the multimedia thread has seen that, quite possibly, Rage won't be broken at all. In fact, it just may HELP keep the game very playable.

Check has expressed constantly that Breakers > Rage. When you think about it further, it's quite impossible to disagree with that. 6 seconds of Rage sounds bad, until you factor in using a breaker to get out of the nasty situation that Rage mode would create. Breakers now have a rather distant knockback...too far to immediately punish with wakeup as compared to MKA. With that in mind, provided you still get the knockback when the opponent is in Rage, you will essentially prevent the opponent from activating Rage and using it to trap you in a pretty powerful combo. So now you see that...

The next thing is how it deals with infinites as well. Breakers are no longer 3 per match...instead, they are reliant on the Rage meter. A half-filled Rage meter gives you one breaker. The meter also fills as you take damage or dish it out. In the case that this game does have infinites (Which I think everyone here knows is still possible), the new breakers themselves will prevent them from actually destroying the game. As you get hit, your meter will fill until you are able to break out. Unless the damage of the infinite takes very little scaling, or all moves involved in the infinite are unbreakable, you are NEVER guaranteed a free infinite at all.

So there you have it. Before we were all seriously worried about Rage breaking the entire game, but, after breaking down what we know thus far, you'll see that instead of breaking MKvsDC, breakers will, IMO and others as well, keep the game very playable.

Midway seems to be playing their cards intelligently this time around.
One thing I absolutely forgot about was taunting. Taunting raises your meter, as stated by Hector Sanchez in his Joker walkthrough. How much it increases will be in question, but I wouldn't doubt a pretty decent amount. So even if Rage increases through normal fighting too slowly, there's always the option of taunt setups, like maybe a juggle into Joker's bomb plant, or GL's light hammer, etc.