What's new

The search for an alt character

Zyphox

What is going on guys, Ya Boi Zyphox here.
Okay so i had this idea come to me last night as i was playing online mk9 as usual and it hit me. what character would compliment Johnny C the best in tournament play? now i main Johnny C, he's my go to character for every match-up when i play serious, against kabal, against freddy/kenshi, zoners ect. but i have been thinking since it is a very smart thing to do, is to pick an alt character and play at a high level. now am not saying couterpicking, or that its wrong, but look at the thread about sonya/jc match up. some match ups were even in more of sonya's favor and some were not, when both character are primarily rush down characters. i know sonya has a very different play style than Johnny C, i mean he would be offended if a girl had the same play style as him (that's how johnny C DO lol) but i was thinking about listing the characters that best compliment JC at a high level.

Sonya - obviously JC's got the hots for ms blade so he wouldn't mind if he were to be switched mid-tourney for her. She is probably the second best rushdown character in the game. She has an instand air dive kick that eats counter poking players alive, her mix-ups and speed rival that of any character, she one of the safest options for wake up and a d4 that frustrates everyone. know i don't really know her beyond the obvious which i stated so feel free to add more and i will update OP.

Raiden - he used to be my secondary for and the answer to zoning for me, but i haven't really tried to level my game up with him as his play style is more defense than anything else and requires so much patience to not get blow up. also his high hit box doesn't work for me :( i say that raiden with a life lead is the best character in the game, if you take risk he can and will blow you up. and in my opinion a huge contrast between him and JC. this maybe a little much because when you're JC you want to be in your opponents face at all times because he sucks everywhere else on screen. playing footsie as raiden will help out your footsie game with JC a lot imo. also raiden IMO doesn't lose to any character in the game, maybe to sonya 4.5 but with a life lead he wins if you play it right.

Kenshi - ahhh kenshi, he takes a lot to master, i've had the character for a week so am getting blown up using him against really high level players online, i can't really grasp his AA, i try his EX shoulder traps but online they are hard to do since every one lives with this button :u but thats just part of the mix up if i think he's gonna jump then i 21 the fool. he is one of the better zoners in the game, but i haven't figured him out yet. any high level kenshi's that read please feel free to add how kenshi compliments JC as an ALT. IMO kenshi is the opposite of JC, he wants you to be full screen, i've been zoning till i get to the courner, then ex shoulder mixup into the throw to put the opponent in the corner, then i have options if i have meter, if not i zone or bait a jump ( online FTW i get blown up trying to AA with kenshi) and put kenshi corner pressure into the mix. and his b2 is so good. imo if your JC and you fighting sonya and you lost, go to kenshi as an alt, kenshi barely loses to anyone i think.

Kabal - this is your last resort lol i've been playing kabal for sometime, and to me seems like the best zoner in the game, and his ndc pressure is amazing. am really practicing with kabal, he is really execution heavy but he fits my play style a little more than kenshi and raiden, and has meter for days which i like too. IMO if you're choosing kabal as your secondary tourney character, you must practice with him more than JC or you're going to get blown up hard. my kabal is no where near ready for a tourney and requires a long time to get even decent with him, but practice akes perfect.

Sektor - another anti zoning character, sektor imo sems to have an answer for everything in this game, zoning with instant air tele, a 6 frame jab, good space control with flame thrower and b1, leg lift imo is under used. i can see sektor being a good option for an alt as JC, he can zone coutern zone, does pretty good damage, good mix ups, low crouching hit box. i would use sektor as alt to some of JC's harder match ups, maybe counter pick with him if am getting zoned out.

Jax - i see a couple people using jax for match ups against kabal and kenshi. i like jax and i would use him offline, but not online. offline jax has his ground pounds to deal with iagb since it lowers his hit box, but needs to do it with good timing, he's low hitbox crouching so he limits kabals ndc pressure. and he seems to be answer for kabal, since kabal doesn't want to go near the corner he wont zone jax as much as JC. you don't want to go near the corner with JC there but jax can literally end your career there lol.

Quan cheeze - now i am adding mr quan quan becaus he is my personal fav secondary. RUNE TRAPS that is all....................lol what? what else does this character have? lol jk but anyway i use quan to baby noobs more tan anything i dont really think my quan chi chi is high level, i know how to set up rune traps and use his mix ups and uppercut....oh and sky drop............yeah thats it lol

I will think of more later, but who do you think compliments JC the best in a tourney as an alt, secondary, or counter pick? :cool:

Skitzo

Noob
Kabal doesn't have the best zoning in the game... it's mediocre compared to Freddy, Noob, & Kenshi lol

but i do run a Kabal/JC thing.

Zyphox

Kabal doesn't have the best zoning in the game... it's mediocre compared to Freddy, Noob, & Kenshi lol

but i do run a Kabal/JC thing.
maybe freddy, but IAGB and the control of space he has, which is what zoning means, is really good. when he zones and you get close he if the best character to go and mix up and once you're in jump to sweep distance, he can surpise you with an ex ND if you're trying to d1 your way in, buzz saw, AA 2 and pressure, then reverse and zone more and build meter. that why i consider him one of the best zoners, he can easily keep you at the distance he wants. look at every other character that zone. they cant dash back as quickly to keep you from getting in.

Zyphox

Yes i know...I do main Kabal...lol he's just a decent zoner.
you main him but under estimate his zoning, you did say it was mediocre compared to noob and kenshi and freddy, i wa simply disagreeing with that, and stating fact as to why he is better( not freddy tho)

I picked up Kung Lao for kabal and kenshi, two characters I really have a problem with.

I generally try not to pick an alt who also happens to be my main's bad MU. Therefore I wouldn't pick kabal or kenshi. If you don't think Freddy is a bad MU (or you're ok fighting a 5.5-4.5), he's probably the perfect alt. Covers just about anyone who you might consider a bad MU.

Raiden's another good option but he's difficult to master and goes 5-5 with just about everyone.

Skitzo

Noob
Lmao i don't under estimate his zoning, how is Kabal a better zoner than Noob & Kenshi? It makes no sense lol You can just dash crouch block his zoning, how has no one figured that out? With Noob, you're eating a 50/50 3/4 screen while he's still building chip & meter off of it, if you're closer he's got to play smarter. Kenshi? Now saying Kabal is a better zoner than Kenshi is just a joke on all on its own.

Zyphox

Lmao i don't under estimate his zoning, how is Kabal a better zoner than Noob & Kenshi? It makes no sense lol You can just dash crouch block his zoning, how has no one figured that out? With Noob, you're eating a 50/50 3/4 screen while he's still building chip & meter off of it, if you're closer he's got to play smarter. Kenshi? Now saying Kabal is a better zoner than Kenshi is just a joke on all on its own.
i just explained why he was, you think zoning is spamming projectiles and keep away, no zoning is keeping you opponent in a zone that you want. how long does it take to get in comparing noob kenshi and kabal? you have to duck 1 projectile per second and the opponent is limited 2 ducking against kabal. noob and kenshi? you dash block and you in on kenshi in 5 second offline, he has shoulder t put you full screen, that's one of his strengths, noob? you can jump and block his projectiles and in 4 seceonds you're in jump distance. the most effective zoner is freddy because of full screen frame traps. look at the space cover between characters. how long are you stuck in iafb when play against kabal? then he can EX ND you if you d1 or ducking the projectiles, and ground saw puts you at full screen( enough time for kabal to put him self full screen unless near corner) when you get hit by it and forces you to block low.

Skitzo

Noob
No where did i say spamming in that text lol

All Noob has to do when you're in jump distance is check you with up knees. I want to know what Kenshi's you're playing because i've seen Pig's Kenshi keep them full screen the entire match. What you're saying is easier said than done. 5 seconds...lmfao.
Also, who d1's on their way in? Reacting that with EX ND is a tool which isn't that well in hiding. Hell, i've done a normal ND to people online who try to do that on their way in. It's dumb & i'm pretty sure most of the community knows about it. Back to the AA 2, everyone should know never jump in at Kabal due to getting hit by his 2, EX ND, or iagb so that's out that picture where your explaination. Kabal's zoning pushes him to the corner where it's a bit hard for him to get out & almost every character is l0l g0d m0d3 there. He's shit there without EX ND, & even with that, a smart player can anticipate this & you eat a full punish.

Zoning will only do so much for Kabal in certain situations lol it's not as amazing as people make it.

Zyphox

No where did i say spamming in that text lol

All Noob has to do when you're in jump distance is check you with up knees. I want to know what Kenshi's you're playing because i've seen Pig's Kenshi keep them full screen the entire match. What you're saying is easier said than done. 5 seconds...lmfao.
Also, who d1's on their way in? Reacting that with EX ND is a tool which isn't that well in hiding. Hell, i've done a normal ND to people online who try to do that on their way in. It's dumb & i'm pretty sure most of the community knows about it. Back to the AA 2, everyone should know never jump in at Kabal due to getting hit by his 2, EX ND, or iagb so that's out that picture where your explaination. Kabal's zoning pushes him to the corner where it's a bit hard for him to get out & almost every character is l0l g0d m0d3 there. He's shit there without EX ND, & even with that, a smart player can anticipate this & you eat a full punish.

Zoning will only do so much for Kabal in certain situations lol it's not as amazing as people make it.
when i say 5 seconds i dont actually mean five seconds, but its hell of a lot faster to get in on either one of those characters than kabal, d1 your way in is common as well as walking and ducking, but if you disagree with your own characters zoning ability than thats you, by the time kabal gets to the corner he already has 3 bars lol am just saying kabal is a master at keeping you where he wants you to be, that to me means he a top tier zoner. noob cant do that because once you in jump distance he has upknee, he cant just keep zoning you from that distance so when he upknees you wiff punish ( character dependant) kabal at jump distance can NDC, or keep on zoning you, once he backing into the corner NDC to you opponents face and jump over him (works one time per match, then free pressure or AA someone thats trying 2 NJP you) reverse sides and zone you more. kenshi you can dash block and your outside shoulder range in 5 seconds, he doesn't move backwards very fast, his threat of ex shoulder and should is what makes him a good zoner. but IMO not better than kabal.

when i say 5 seconds i dont actually mean five seconds, but its hell of a lot faster to get in on either one of those characters than kabal, d1 your way in is common as well as walking and ducking, but if you disagree with your own characters zoning ability than thats you, by the time kabal gets to the corner he already has 3 bars lol am just saying kabal is a master at keeping you where he wants you to be, that to me means he a top tier zoner. noob cant do that because once you in jump distance he has upknee, he cant just keep zoning you from that distance so when he upknees you wiff punish ( character dependant) kabal at jump distance can NDC, or keep on zoning you, once he backing into the corner NDC to you opponents face and jump over him (works one time per match, then free pressure or AA someone thats trying 2 NJP you) reverse sides and zone you more. kenshi you can dash block and your outside shoulder range in 5 seconds, he doesn't move backwards very fast, his threat of ex shoulder and should is what makes him a good zoner. but IMO not better than kabal.
kabal just backs him self in the corner, dosent even get chip unless you risk a buzzsaw. Noob kenshi and freddy are always getting free chip and in noob's case, a free mixup.

I'm pickin' Jax up now to counter Kabal and Kenshi, which I think are Cage's hardest matchups. Cage/Kabal and Cage/Kenshi can be good teams too. I really like how Jax plays so that's why I'm sticking with him.

Skitzo

Noob
lol I know Kabal outzones Kenshi. Doesn't make him the better zoner? Reptile outzones Kabal. That means it'd make it Reptile > Kabal > Kenshi in your case?

STB Sgt Reed

Online Warrior
LOL don't even try to make it out like Kabal sucks at zoning.

You wanna know who sucks at zoning? Smoke... projectile with no chip for the loss.

Lol are you guys really arguing this?

Best Zoning characters:
Kenshi
Freddy
Noob

There is also a thing called COUNTER ZONING:
Kabal
Reptile
Possible even Scorpion

Zyphox

Lol are you guys really arguing this?

Best Zoning characters:
Kenshi
Freddy
Noob

There is also a thing called COUNTER ZONING:
Kabal
Reptile
Possible even Scorpion
replace sektor with scorpion, instant tele punch rapes slow projectiles