What's new

Guide - Quan Chi The Quan Chi compendium

Spheris

Noob
Hello everyone,

I am going to share with the community my discoveries for Quan Chi as I explore him more and more. Definitely he's a fun character to play and right now I'm spending all my online time with him to figure out how to make him work as good as possible.

Pressure tips (all variations):
  • After d3 at point black, either on hit or block, crossup fj1 works. Weird enough, after d1, crossup fj1 does not work, so just use d3, which is a better poke anyway.
  • After d3, either on hit or block, some of the fast pokes that does not hit on crouchers will hit, as 1, 2, and what is more interesting, throws. I've been doing d3,, throw as a tick throw and no one is expecting it.
  • After f1-4 blocked, fj1 crossup will work too. It will not work on hit.
  • When performing fj1 crossup, empty jump into d3 usually works too, aswell as empty jump into throw.
  • After fj1 crossup or fj2 front jump in, f2-1-2 is a true hitstring and blockstring safe on block (+0 on block) and confirmable into the last 2, making it f2-1-2-2 which is a launcher and leads to a 37% combo midscreen with 1 meter (see combo section)
  • If you land a jump-in, and have meter, you can easily go for a 50/50 high/low mixup, by doing the true hitstring and blockstring jump-in punch, b2 (overhead) or b3-4 (low) x Close Ground Burst x MB x Trance..
  • b3-2-4 is not safe on block, so if you have meter is better to do b3-2 x Close Ground Burst x MB and confirm from here
Gameplay tips (all variations):
  • b1 is just a great move. It reaches a lot, it's quite fast, it's virtually unpunishable on block, and you can do b1 x Close Ground Burst x MB to start a safe combo from some distance. Ground Burst MB is now +14 on block, so it's safe if they block it, if not it leads to a full Trance combo (see combo section)
  • b2 is just another great move. It reaches further than b1 and it's overhead, so keep it always in mind, plus it's cancellable. Justo don't abuse it and make sure you don't delay it by double tapping the button.
  • f1-4 on block is quite safe and after that fj1 crossup works as commented. If they block it and do a quick poke, around 5f of startup, they will just hit you in the air, no combo here, so it's worth it to use it from time to time. On hit just use b1.
  • Use d3 at close range a lot, because as commented, either on hit or block fj1 crossup works after it, so just do d3 followed by a fj1 crossup into f2-1-2 and confirm from this into full combo f2-1-2-2 or stop in the first 2 on block and follow by b1.
  • f1-4 x Trance is a great punish, but if you're not sure it's gonna connect, use f1-4 or if you have meter f1-4 x Close Ground Burst x MB and confirm a combo from here.
  • For anti-air, d2 is a decent poke, but if you see it coming, do instead instant neutral jump 2 because it has 4f of startup, and combo from here (see combo section)
  • For wakeup, there's some armored moves, but generally the best option is to go for delayed wakeup, because Quan's wakeup armored moves are quite bad and against good opponents with quick strings it will not work
Combos Midscreen (all variations):
  • f2-1-2-2, (4 or f4) x Trance, Walk backwards a bit, fj1, f2-1-2-2, b1 x Medium Ground Burst x MB, Far Ground Burst. If you used 4 x Trance is a 37% combo, if you used f4, it's a bit less.
  • b1 x Close Ground Burst x MB, Trance, fj1, f2-1-2-2, b1 x Medium Ground Burst (35%)
  • nj2, 4 x Trance, Walk backwards a bit, fj1, f2-1-2-2, b1 x Medium Ground Burst x MB, Large Ground Burst (X%)
  • b3-2-4, 4 x Trance, Walk backwards a bit, fj1, f2-1-2-2, b1 x Medium Ground Burst x MB, Far Ground Burst (X%)
I will be updating, more or less once a week, as I discover more combos or gameplay tips, along with the combos and tips that are posted here.

Last edited:

PANDEMlC

El Psy Congroo
Really interesting stuff, I have basically never used F2122 string so this was interesting to read. I do like that it's safe and very hit confirmable. I was wondering, why use b+1 when you have b+2? They both do basically the same thing, cover the same range, I guess you could say b+1 is safer, recovers faster, doesn't extend your hitbox as much, etc. Seems like a very similar move to b2. Is B2 EX rune an interruptible string if b2 is blocked and not b+1 into ex rune? That'd make it much better in my eyes but so far nobodies punished my excessive use of b2 ex rune. I do like the F14 string as a punisher, I was having trouble punishing things due to the short range of b234 and b2 being slow. This string does a good job in that short/mid range area.

EDIT:

After playing 20 or so games after reading this I do like F14 as a punish, as a block string... ehh, if they're conditioned to not jump around or mash then maybe I could use it to setup a crossup but I'd prefer other options like b+1/b+2 or F212. As for F212, I did like it but I rarely used it. It's kinda awkward and outclassed by d3 and b1 most the time but a good string for cross up pressure. I also implemented your combos for when I want raw damage. I also like that they leave them fullscreen so you can usually get your zoning going still.

One big problem I have is that awkward spot where you're not quite midscreen but you're not in the corner either. It makes following up off trance very awkward since you don't knock them full screen with 141/f142 and you're not close enough to the corner to do the bat/3 reset setups. Also when comboing while you're in the corner, ideally I'd like to switch sides after trance but getting the cross over jip is really awkward while they're moving and even if I do I'm not sure what the ideal ender would be for putting them in the corner. If you have any ideas or solutions to these problems I'd love to hear em.

Last edited:

Spheris

Noob
If you have any ideas or solutions to these problems I'd love to hear em.
About that, there's no solution for getting a clean jump-in in some spots of the stage. Just skip the jump-in and go for the string in the ground.

Updated with notes about wakeup, 50/50 mixups and b2. I will also try to upload some of my matches somehow.

Last edited: