What's new

Question - Tanya The pros and cons of each variation

Coming from being a Cassie Player myself, recently I bought Tanya because..... Hell she looks cool, and maybe its time I learned to play other characters.

Dragon Naginata, Kobu jutsu, Pyromancer...... I get that pyromancer is a bitch dealing with if you play in the style of Sonic Fox but hey, I kinda have honor and don't like to spam, lol

so anyway, what are Dragon naginata weaknesses, strengths in comparison to kobu jutsu and viceversa, which is the "best' variation of those?? and maybe (through personal experience) which variation has given you the best wins and chances to improve?? what makes tanya different from all the roster, is she "good" or is she not worth learning to play as?

TrulyAmiracle

Loud and Klear~
Kobu is the best variation, and Pyro is the worst. Naginata has it's uses and it's solid but Kobu simply outshines it with it's crazy pressure and having a + on block move to keep on the offense.
It honestly depends on what you want to do with her but all 3 are very viable and at least in Kobu she's top 5 imo.
I'd write a more detailed pros and cons sort of list but I'm on my phone

Awkward Sloth

Lamest Harley, still better sloth than Jer
Pyro is the worst and if people aren't punishing your fireballs/air fireballs/closing the distance to force you to play Footsies with your T. rex normals then they stink.

Only people that hate themselves play Pyro

Rizz091

Noob
The moment I read "spam" I quit reading
I stopped at "honor" XD honestly if you can effectively play keep away in this game, you're absolutely Godlike, because running in and 50/50ing people is way easier and what the game favors.

On topic, use kobu jutsu and enjoy bodying people with teleport cancels, rekkas, and ex tonfa toss into restands for more pressure, chip, and meter build. And get a button that blows up a ton of wake ups because it hits twice (b1) oh and have one of the best wake ups in the game with a move with 2 hits of armor and is safe (ex rekka into the second rekka)

Pyro is horrible because it's a zoning variation in a rushdown game. For the fireball damage you do while they're full screen they'll return it twice as hard when they run under it and full combo punish you.

Dragon naginata is viable too, but takes more work to learn. You can do more cool and tricky set ups with the pogo stance and take advantage of people's lack of match up knowledge in this variation. I think it has the best combo damage too? Either way the pressure and chip isn't close to kobu, and that's the play style that's the most effective in this game right now in my opinion.

I stopped at "honor" XD honestly if you can effectively play keep away in this game, you're absolutely Godlike, because running in and 50/50ing people is way easier and what the game favors.

On topic, use kobu jutsu and enjoy bodying people with teleport cancels, rekkas, and ex tonfa toss into restands for more pressure, chip, and meter build. And get a button that blows up a ton of wake ups because it hits twice (b1) oh and have one of the best wake ups in the game with a move with 2 hits of armor and is safe (ex rekka into the second rekka)

Pyro is horrible because it's a zoning variation in a rushdown game. For the fireball damage you do while they're full screen they'll return it twice as hard when they run under it and full combo punish you.

Dragon naginata is viable too, but takes more work to learn. You can do more cool and tricky set ups with the pogo stance and take advantage of people's lack of match up knowledge in this variation. I think it has the best combo damage too? Either way the pressure and chip isn't close to kobu, and that's the play style that's the most effective in this game right now in my opinion.
mmm, ok.... and how do you think is her matchup against the annoying ice clone SZ?? the truth is, I kinda want to figure out a good character that lets me put a fight against him (with Cassie, it is difficult because she is a rush character, and we all know how that ends, lol) and I kinda want to evaluate if Tanya has the chance to counter SZ

Rizz091

Noob
mmm, ok.... and how do you think is her matchup against the annoying ice clone SZ?? the truth is, I kinda want to figure out a good character that lets me put a fight against him (with Cassie, it is difficult because she is a rush character, and we all know how that ends, lol) and I kinda want to evaluate if Tanya has the chance to counter SZ
I think Tanya bodies sub-zero. One big reason for that is ex rekka. 2 hits of armor on it and activates in 10 frames. This means every b2 you block is a free ex rekka for a punish, even if there's an ice clone in front of you. So his corner setups don't mean too much because of ex rekka. On top of that ex rekka is completely safe once you do the second hit of it, since that's -4.

Another thing to keep in mind is the ice clone goes away when sub-zero blocks. So even if he's hiding behind the ice clone, you can teleport to the other side of it and make him block a limb before you get frozen. Once you have him in your restand rekka pressure, the match should be pretty much free. One thing I haven't tested is ex tonfa toss. I'm not sure if it'll break the ice clone then come back and hit sub-zero. That's another idea for the full screen game. But yeah most of his ice clone crap doesn't mean anything because of her air teleports.

I think Tanya bodies sub-zero. One big reason for that is ex rekka. 2 hits of armor on it and activates in 10 frames. This means every b2 you block is a free ex rekka for a punish, even if there's an ice clone in front of you. So his corner setups don't mean too much because of ex rekka. On top of that ex rekka is completely safe once you do the second hit of it, since that's -4.

Another thing to keep in mind is the ice clone goes away when sub-zero blocks. So even if he's hiding behind the ice clone, you can teleport to the other side of it and make him block a limb before you get frozen. Once you have him in your restand rekka pressure, the match should be pretty much free. One thing I haven't tested is ex tonfa toss. I'm not sure if it'll break the ice clone then come back and hit sub-zero. That's another idea for the full screen game. But yeah most of his ice clone crap doesn't mean anything because of her air teleports.
EX Tonfa goes through ice clone and comes back