What's new

The power of d1

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
I cannot tell you how powerful d1 is...nightwolf has arguably the best d1 in the game and let me tell you why.

Every character in the game can link a special after the d1. None of them count as a combo but they link as such. I'll name some examples:

Kitana: d1 cutter
Ermac: d1 tele lift
Shang: d1 up skull
Kabal: d1 command grab
Scorp: d1 leg tackle
Etc...everybody has one.

Only a few characters can do this safely without worry of punish and even fewer can combo off of theirs.

Nightwolf can both combo and do this safely with d1 to axe. Because of this blessing of offense, nightwolfs d1 is 1 frame slower than characters such as kitana, baraka, scorp...etc. If I can get a d1 to hit, I can link an axe.

Nightwolf only has competition with one character with this in my opinion and that is kitana. D1 has such range and speed and it links to cutter which is safe on block and the hit stun gives a free jip and block string for mixup. It also builds tons of meter...her weakness with this is that the cutter is duckable giving you a free uppercut

Nightwolfs d1 to axe is not duckable, not jumpable after the d1 hits, safe on block, and it leads to damage up to 41%.

Combos
D1 axe b2 axe 1 1 122 shoulder 31% BNB
D1 axe b2 axe f312 122 shoulder 38% wall
D1 axe axe b2 eh axe 1 1 122 shoulder 38%
D1 axe axe b2 eh axe eh lightning 1 122 shoulder 41%

Setting up the d1 is so easy because all of nightwolfs strings are pretty much neutral on block. This give nw a chance after almost any string to make the opponent try to counter and end up eating a d1 axe for 30+ damage.

Set ups include but are not limited to:
Shoulder
Axe
Eh axe
F31
F312
In the corner d1 pressure increases ten fold.

Dash into d1. Dashing into d1 is a great way to get under iaf of kitana, kang, mil, and kabal because it lowers the hitbox instantly and reaches him forward even more..if I'm close enough, I might get the dash d1 to axe for a juggle.

D1 is also a great anti air so if I can't stand jab into juggle, I can d1 to axe(situational) for a juggle.

The best thing is that any knock down nw has leads to a potential eh lightning...if it doesn't your ok but if they stop doing wakeup attacks you get another 30% damage.

God I love Nightwolf.

Under_The_Mayo

Master of Quanculations
Fly, I think you`re one of the true players in the community to be admired. Your love and dedication for your character is wonderful to see in a vast community of people doubting their characters. There may no be a lot of people that read the detailed info like this and actually put it to use, but you still take the time to flesh out your ideas and make them known. That deserves massive respect.

I do the same d1 thing with Kenshi, but into the uninterruptable spirit charge. While it doesn`t give me a combo, it`s safe on block and on hit it sends them back to zoning range which is great for me.

Can you cancel down1 an unescapable lightening?

charlieonline

Search "CaseyJones" for active profile.
I cannot tell you how powerful d1 is...nightwolf has arguably the best d1 in the game and let me tell you why.

Every character in the game can link a special after the d1. None of them count as a combo but they link as such. I'll name some examples:

Kitana: d1 cutter
Ermac: d1 tele lift
Shang: d1 up skull
Kabal: d1 command grab
Scorp: d1 leg tackle
Etc...everybody has one.

Only a few characters can do this safely without worry of punish and even fewer can combo off of theirs.

Nightwolf can both combo and do this safely with d1 to axe. Because of this blessing of offense, nightwolfs d1 is 1 frame slower than characters such as kitana, baraka, scorp...etc. If I can get a d1 to hit, I can link an axe.

Nightwolf only has competition with one character with this in my opinion and that is kitana. D1 has such range and speed and it links to cutter which is safe on block and the hit stun gives a free jip and block string for mixup. It also builds tons of meter...her weakness with this is that the cutter is duckable giving you a free uppercut

Nightwolfs d1 to axe is not duckable, not jumpable after the d1 hits, safe on block, and it leads to damage up to 41%.

Combos
D1 axe b2 axe 1 1 122 shoulder 31% BNB
D1 axe b2 axe f312 122 shoulder 38% wall
D1 axe axe b2 eh axe 1 1 122 shoulder 38%
D1 axe axe b2 eh axe eh lightning 1 122 shoulder 41%

Setting up the d1 is so easy because all of nightwolfs strings are pretty much neutral on block. This give nw a chance after almost any string to make the opponent try to counter and end up eating a d1 axe for 30+ damage.

Set ups include but are not limited to:
Shoulder
Axe
Eh axe
F31
F312
In the corner d1 pressure increases ten fold.

Dash into d1. Dashing into d1 is a great way to get under iaf of kitana, kang, mil, and kabal because it lowers the hitbox instantly and reaches him forward even more..if I'm close enough, I might get the dash d1 to axe for a juggle.

D1 is also a great anti air so if I can't stand jab into juggle, I can d1 to axe(situational) for a juggle.

The best thing is that any knock down nw has leads to a potential eh lightning...if it doesn't your ok but if they stop doing wakeup attacks you get another 30% damage.

God I love Nightwolf.
You post this at just the right time man.

Here I am looking for a new main to suit my playstyle. I decided to drop Sub and take a look at Baraka and Stryker.

Every since I discovered d4 grants massive +hit I figured it would be fun to play a heavy footsie character focused around spacing jump distance. Now I know NW does this like a pro but I was intrigued by the reset opportunities of Baraka and Stryker. I just find the concept cool.

So anyway, I then tried it with NW but kept getting shoulders when dancing around jump using my d4 so I couldn't experiment with it much. However, I did recently figure out a neat little dash d1, slices (dash d1, f1, command) with Baraka and that makes him at 0 on block. Looks like NW has this but has a combo opportunity!

Looks sick man I will for sure give this a go. I'm a little sad I can't use dash d4's because I love that kind of pressure. Remember I come from a Sub so to me d4 is part of my play, but I guess dash d1, axe is even better because you get a free combo on hit!

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
U can dash d4. You just have to hold down long enough so the input bug doesn't keep the down from registering. Nightwolfs d4 is very good and should be used to set up f3 mixups and b22 combos starters it can also set up a d1 axe.

Mayo...I wish lightning was linkable. But no such luck.

Mosp

Noob
This is good stuff, I just recently started using d1 into axe more frequently and it has worked wonders so far. Keep up the Nightwolf play and hopefully we can have a mirror match one day (unintentional rhyme) :weightlifter:

Nevrosis

Keelawutaye!
I also would like to note that Nightwolf is one of the 4 characters in the game (along with scorpion, liu kang and jax) that moves forward upon each consecutive D1's. If you time it right, your second D1 will gain a bit of extra range. I explained how this works in the "Corner glitch" thread before. This is another slight advantage over Kitana's D1.

16 Bit

Mash d+1~Cat Claws
Premium Supporter
NetherRealm Studios
On block you can interrupt d+1~axe. I think this is one of the best things about NW but no way is it better than Kitana's d+1. Hers isn't really about d+1~cutter it's a godly spacing tool.

AK L0rdoftheFLY

I hatelove this game
Agreed osu...there is no comparing nightwolfs d1 to kitanas d1. Mr. mil said the same thing on MKU. And yes a well timed d1 can interupt the d1 axe link...however it doesn't matter.

It's about spacing for nightwolf to really. I compared d1 axe to E. Hondas low jab hundred hand slap. Pig always said nightwolf reminded him of Honda(who is my main in SSF4) and I use it the same way.

Many times I don't dash in shoulder or dash in f3...I dash in d1 axe for the range and the safe spacing/combo opportunity.

Edit:
And let me just say that kitana is a nightmare for nightwolf...I look forward to our matches at final round and I want to record them for the community. I only use kitana as an example because EVERYONE has experienced the pain associated with d1 cutter and nightwolf against everyone in the cast can use d1 axe to space and get a juggle.

Nice pod cast...robocop vs terminator WTF? And I disagree with almost everything PL said about his tier list. Wow he did not sound intelligent about the game. Mileena beats Lao? WTF?

The_SNKE

BLT | RM
WOW! I freaking love you LOTF! I'll be at SoCal Regionals and will be recording my matches, most definitely going to attempt to rep NW as best as possible :)

trustinme

xbl-OBS trustinme
nightwolfs d1,hatchet is helping me a great deal atm,especially against millena.after alot of thought over the last couple of days and messing around for a few weeks with him i think im going to make nightwolf a new main.