What's new

The perfect keyboard for fighting games?

dreemernj

Ambassador
Common Issues with Keyboards and Fighting Games
A lot of people here have played fighting games on keyboards before. We all know the problems. Pressing too many buttons at once can cause buttons to "lock" meaning after you let go of the button, the computer thinks you are still holding it. Or, sometimes you try to press a few buttons at once and can't, and the move simply doesn't happen.

For the past 4 years I have used basically the same keyboard (had to replace it with an identical keyboard after a breakdown) and I have both issues. If I try to do Reptile's force ball in UMK3 (F, F, HP+LP) I have to be certain I release Forward before I press the punch buttons. If I don't, one of the 3 buttons will lock. If I try to do the ninjas' slide, I simply can't. It won't work on this keyboard.

The Cause
Keyboards work off of a matrix or grid system. This is very different compared to something like a game pad or joystick. In a gamepad, each button is a switch. Each switch is wired into a simple chip that interprets the state of all the switches and sends that information to the console.

A keyboard has too many buttons to allow each to be its own switch. So, the buttons are wired together to form a grid, like so:

In the example above, 9 buttons are controlled by 6 switches. If the computer detects that switches a1 are triggered, it knows you are pressing the Q button. If it detects c2, it knows you are pressing the D button.

But what happens if you are hold W and A and try to press S? The b switch and the 2 switch are both already being used by the W and A buttons. The computer will not be able to recognize that S is being pressed.

Similarly, you can hold S and W. Then begin holding A. Now, if you try to release S, the keyboard won't know it because the b and 2 triggers are still active from holding W and A. It won't recognize the button has been released, and that button is now locked being held until you press and release it again.

How to deal with this problem.
Keyboard manufacturers attempt to limit the problems of the grid or matrix style layout by really mixing up what buttons are attached to what switches. It will almost never be layed out the way I have demonstrated above. They will spread out what switches go with what buttons to limit the problems. But, this is done primarily to make typing at high speeds work better on the keyboard. For fighting games, it still does little to help. It actually, often, does little to help with FPS games as well, especially if you ever plan on using the arrow keys for movement.

Also, there is a different type of keyboard, Capacitive switch keyboards, which I have never had the luxury of trying. In most keyboards, when you press a button it completes a circuit. This involves physical contact. Capacitive Switches have current flowing throughout the keyboard at all times. When you press the button, a metal plate is lowered towards the grid, and the computer detects the difference in current. Theoretically this could improve fighting games since a button pressed, that would not be registered or a button released that would remain locked, would still be detected because the voltage would change in the system. These are also considered longer lasting keyboards because there need be no physical contact between the metal in the button and the electrified grid. If anyone has access to a keyboard of this type and would like to test it out, I would greatly appreciate it.

There is hope for people that do not have access to these more expensive keyboards. Old keyboards. Back in the day, keyboards in general had much higher production value. An old keyboard might have a circuit board that the buttons press down onto. Newer keyboards often use sheets of plastic with metal strips in them. The advantage to having the circuit board is that if designed correctly, it could have diodes (I think) wired in series with each keyboard key. This greatly reduces the amount of button blocking and locking to the point where I cannot cause button locking or blocking by doing any moves in a fighting game. I can slide with ninjas, do Reptile's forceballs no problem, and get those pesky HCB+3P in COTA to call out dancing swords (without using a 3P button!).

These ancient, overbuilt keyboards are out there. Battousai provided me with one that used a connector I'd never seen before. I've been working on rewiring it to use an iPac keyboard controller since I had no way of making it work on a modern computer. Recently, I also found a Dell with a standard PS/2 connector. It was very old, weighed a ton, and I opened it up to find the giant circuit board under all the keys, diodes in series with every button, and no locking or blocking of any kind (aside from trying to hold down 3/4 of the keys at once for instance).

Conclusion
If you are someone like me, you have relied on a keyboard for fighting games for a long time. It is the weapon of choice, the Bat'Leth passed down through the generations. If this is the case for you, find one of these ancient keyboards. You won't be upset. It might look ugly as hell on your desktop, people might laugh when they see you mashing away at it. But once you've owned them, they'll be asking where to get their own behemoth keyboard.

Next Steps
I want to be able to go to NEC this year with these behemoth keyboards and allow 2 people to use them at the same time. So, how do I plug in multiple keyboards and shift the keys on one so that they aren't the same keys that Player 2 is using? If you know of any way to reassign keys on a keyboard please let me know.

Also, I still have to test out the behemoth keyboard on a PS/2 to USB adapter since a lot of times its unreasonable to use a PS/2 keyboard. I will update once I've tried that out. I have a USB mini docking station designed for laptops that allows for Keyboard, Mouse, Printer, Serial Port, and Ethernet to be plugged into a laptop using just 1 USB port. Let's hope this does the trick.

Note about expensive "Gaming" keyboards
I don't know how many of you have used any of these very expensive ($80-$150) "gaming" keyboards that companies like Logitech put out. I've tried every one that is sold at Best Buy and Circuit City (usually by begging a salesperson to plug it into one of the display comps) and frankly they all Blow. They have the same button locking and blocking issues that my $15 M$ Ergo keyboard has. I guess they must be good for FPS or something, or maybe they last longer, or maybe its just cause they look cool and have digital readouts on them. But, the cost is not from higher quality button handling, that's for sure.

I use a gamepad...

J/K.

First of all, I think you should invest in new 'basic' keyboard because your kind of locking makes games unplayable. Atleast then it wont be as bad.

and...
dreemernj said:
The Cause
Keyboards work off of a matrix or grid system. This is very different compared to something like a game pad or joystick. In a gamepad, each button is a switch. Each switch is wired into a simple chip that interprets the state of all the switches and sends that information to the console.

A keyboard has too many buttons to allow each to be its own switch. So, the buttons are wired together to form a grid, like so:

Similarly, you can hold S and W. Then begin holding A. Now, if you try to release S, the keyboard won't know it because the b and 2 triggers are still active from holding W and A. It won't recognize the button has been released, and that button is now locked being held until you press and release it again.
I have never reconized this kind of locking. :? I was trying to mess around with it. I specifically did the one from the example and it just wont pickup "A" (the third one). It just does the "locking" I am used to, though not really 'used to' because the only issues I have is with H-smoke code for UMK3.

This grid thing does explain why locking would occur during a forceball for anyone though. So maybe it isn't your keyboard, just the way it's set up. I don't remember exactly how your's is set up, but I'm sure that your LP is where your Forward and HP meet on the grid. So when you go for a forceball and you do F, F+LP+HP the Low punch couldn't register. Hence, no forceball. Your attack buttons are on the same grid as the directionals. So that's where the flaws really show.

Thankfully for me, those 6 buttons above the arrows are on a different grid. 8)

EDIT: maybe locking isn't such a bad thing. It helps balance all the advantages it get's over other alternates, things that are impossible with gamepads or sticks. Like duck buffering.

dreemernj

Ambassador
That grid is just an example. They would almost never lay out the grid like that. If you ever open a keyboard you'll see the way the buttons are all linked together, but they mix it up a huge amount to try to avoid button locking but, on a lot of keyboards, it still happens. When I play people with my regular Microsoft keyboard, I get things like Up (the letter W) locking constantly. I've used keyboards that do not lock the way this does, but until I tried out this ancient keyboard, I had not found a keyboard that I couldn't lock buttons on and blocking buttons is down right easy.

Arise thread...

Copied wuziq's design. The buttons are Cherry Switches and they were bought from here http://www.piengineering.com (thanks to Dreemer for showing me that), and they are wired up to a Playstation pad PCB.

After all the parts came in (got a pre-wired PSX pad from EJM on SRK) and some testing, it took 2 days to assemble thanks to my Father's proficieny in woodworking and dealing with small electronics.

A few have asked what holds the keys in, the holes are small enough to hold them in and not let them fall in or out (the keys have little tabs on the side you can push), but they can be pulled out pretty easily.

Big thanks to all those who dealt with my endless questions.

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Ingenious :shock:

I see behemoth keyboards all the time, I'll have to pick up a few and test them out.

dreemernj

Ambassador
That's more beastly than a blue Kelsey Grammer.

I want one, but flipped. It's just too good.

I can't wait for NEC to see what kind of damage you do Batt.

That makes me think, perhaps if there's a V2, add an extra button below down and have it wired to up, put the keys more in the center of the board and maybe the cord on the side. Then in the game you can just remap whenever you want to flip it and you can use it righty of lefty.

Old Gateway keyboards are the best. They don't use a matrix, and you can usually tell as they are the "Clicky" kind. I built my first mame cabinet using one of these keyboards, in fact I think it's still inside the cabinet :).

Just thought I would share. This was a big issue about 10 years ago when people first started building mame cabinets and joysticks. Then companies like Ultimarc released interface boards that acted as a keyboard to the PC, but solves the "ghosting" issue caused by the matrix.

dreemernj

Ambassador
ArcadEd said:
Old Gateway keyboards are the best. They don't use a matrix, and you can usually tell as they are the "Clicky" kind. I built my first mame cabinet using one of these keyboards, in fact I think it's still inside the cabinet :).

Just thought I would share. This was a big issue about 10 years ago when people first started building mame cabinets and joysticks. Then companies like Ultimarc released interface boards that acted as a keyboard to the PC, but solves the "ghosting" issue caused by the matrix.
Unfortunately even the oldest keyboards I've found (going back to the 70s) always use a matrix. I never heard of one that didn't. But, to combat issues, they use other techniques to prevent ghosting. And, sadly, the Ultimarc boards have ended up being piss-poor for fighters with the ones I've tried :-(

So, stuff like this is the best way to go since I can't hook my Tarantula up to any consoles, lol

dreemernj

Ambassador
There's a new keyboard out from everglide:
http://www.everglide.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=60&Itemid=47

It uses Everglide's construction but carries a "Powered By Razer" tagline. It sounds like it might have Razer guts. But, I didn't see on their site anything that describes whether or not these keyboards have the 1000hz polling rate or the 10 key at a time limit.

Can't wait to hear some good reviews and find out more details about it.

aj1701

Noob
Can u guys list keyboards than dont block by pressing more than 3 buttons?
Honestly you're probably better off getting something like a hitbox. Its all button making it similar to a keyboard, but doesn't have these problems. If you get an xbox 360 one, it should work fine for all Windows games as well.

umk_p1

Noob
for those who have a problem like ghosting on the kb, i highly recommend to check your kb with a programm
like AquaKeyTest, it shows which buttons are registered at the time and which are not, so u can rearrange ur configuration.
For example try this common situations
1. right/left+LP+HP (kitana's fan throw)
2. up+right/left+LP+HP(air fan throw)
3. left/right+LP+BL+LK (subzero slide)
4. left/right+HP+R+BL (hp run def jab)
5. left/right+LP+R+BL(lp run def jab)
6. up+left/right+HK+LP+HP (kitana JK-fan throw)

Konqrr

MK11 Kabal = MK9 Kitana
Wow, this is a hella old thread... brought back some memories seeing it pop up on the recent threads list.

I wonder if I still have the behemoth keyboard. It has an connector older than PS/2 which I found an adapter for to use PS/2 which I will then again use a PS/2 to USB lol ... the search begins.

Justice

Noob
yea still dumbfounded over it. especially after watching Winter_Warz up close this past weekend.
Yeah. w1nter warz is just freaky with his keyboard. Until I read this thread, I thought a keyboard would be the same as a hitbox just with closer buttons and half the price. I think I might give a Hitbox a shot someday.

aj1701

Noob
Wow, this is a hella old thread... brought back some memories seeing it pop up on the recent threads list.

I wonder if I still have the behemoth keyboard. It has an connector older than PS/2 which I found an adapter for to use PS/2 which I will then again use a PS/2 to USB lol ... the search begins.
Haha, thats probably an at style connection, before atx cases replaced at.

Mgo

Noob
for those who have a problem like ghosting on the kb, i highly recommend to check your kb with a programm
like AquaKeyTest, it shows which buttons are registered at the time and which are not, so u can rearrange ur configuration.
For example try this common situations
1. right/left+LP+HP (kitana's fan throw)
2. up+right/left+LP+HP(air fan throw)
3. left/right+LP+BL+LK (subzero slide)
4. left/right+HP+R+BL (hp run def jab)
5. left/right+LP+R+BL(lp run def jab)
6. up+left/right+HK+LP+HP (kitana JK-fan throw)
Thats good stuff. Other situations that should be tested are:

Crouching Special Moves like Cyrax's Bombs, Kitana's Fan Throw, Reptile's Forceballs. Due that these need to press 4 buttons at the same time, and specific position of the keys in some kb that will not work.