What's new

The Pad to Arcade Project

The Pad to Arcade (+Xbox 360) Project

As some of you know that for Season's Beatings last year we hooked up two PS1 pads to the UMK3 arcade cabinet in order to allow more access to the tournament by players who aren't used to playing on the original layout.

It worked pretty well, and Reo actually won using one of the pads.

This thread has the following goals:

- Demonstrate how pads can be hooked up to any cab, without lag

- Provide a service whereby if you would like me to hook up the pads and adapters and send them to you I can do it.

- Explore the possibility of getting Saturn, SNES, and 360 pads compatible with the arcade machine as well.

- Answer any questions and let people offer ideas about ways we can improve the tourney experience and get more people into playing at tournaments when the tourney is held on the arcade cabinet.

- Outline a similar method to make cheap PS2/SNES/Genesis/Saturn>Xbox 360 adapters.

Step 1:

How to hook up PS1 pads to a Mortal Kombat arcade cabinet.

At Season's Beatings I used a specific method to hook up pads that interfaced directly with the control panel on the machine. This required completely opening up the pads, hacking them, and then interfacing them with the control panel on the machine.

In hindsight, this method sucks.

I have something new in the works which will make the entire process easier, more efficient, and allow people to bring their own pads to play with instead of offering 'community' pads that are required.

More to come, but in the next few days I will update this post with the full new and improved method step by step.

To Be Continued.....

Shock

Administrator
Premium Supporter
If someone has a board and wants at the very least, PSX pads wired to it, what's the least amount of stuff you'd need someone to send you in order to do it?

Actually, I'll be posting up a list here soon (finished up the ps2 ports on a ST supergun Friday, but Bar Battles killed all my time this weekend).

Essentially what it takes is:

- two ps2 extension cables
- A jamma adapter
-An edge connector
- Two Toodles FGW boards (which I can order from him for $15 each + S/H).

That's pretty much it aside from my misc. parts like wire, solder, cable coverings, etc.

Once I sit down and figure out total and time for labor I'll set an amount someone can just paypal me and I'll order parts, build the adapter, and send them back out to them.

It will also be completely removable with no actual modification to the cab itself, in case someone wants to move it from cab to cab, or remove it entirely if they decide to get rid of the cab altogether.

The best part is because it will be a pass through adapter (using the jamma adapter/connector), I can just build and send it. I won't actually have to be present to hard wire the pads to the cab.

I think Storms will probably be the next candidate to get one sent to him for testing and use at Winter Brawl.