What's new

The only way i see X-Rays being useful.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
So there's a couple ways but only these two seem sensible to me.
Perhaps the good people of TYM have ideas but my only thoughts on making them useful in gameplay with everyone saving meter for EX moves & breakers is if it charged on a separate meter such as Ultras in Street fighter (I know how some people will flip out because I mentioned SF but it's only logical)

Or like someone suggest in the X-Ray thread, Mixing up between 2 types of X-Ray moves, and having one actually extend you combo quite largely so that you could preform a much deadlier combo once you caught you opponent in a string. (Whilst still keeping another X-Ray to just do pure damage like in MK9)

The way I see it is by taking one of these options we may see the X-Ray move used ALOT more during matches because honestly i rarely used mine and how often did any of you? ever 2 out of 10 round maybe?

Post your thoughts on how it could be worked so that the X-Ray move would be used more often instead of your meter being saved for Breakers/EX moves.

Fractured_Shadow

Really likes to throw things at you.
X Ray system in MK9 was great. The prospect of an X Ray completely changed the meta in certain MU's. The point isn't to ALWAYS save for and use an X Ray but the threat of it can change the dynamic of a character.

TBH they need to keep it as is and actually tone down the meter building.

VenomX-90

"On your Knees!"
I damn well made sure Ermac's bnb connected before I used my X-Ray at the end of the combo. But in MK9 you had to manage your meter.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
So.. Xray's will either be used commonly, or used rarely. Brilliant conclusion.
Not at all, If I can use my meter to get way more damage in a combo I would risk it over a breaker if i'm not too low, get a nice big lead afterall you wouldn't be able to break an X-Ray.
But in MK9 using an X-Ray in a combo the majority of the time just made it weak and pointless and you had to use them raw.

Fractured_Shadow

Not at all, If I can use my meter to get way more damage in a combo I would risk it over a breaker if i'm not too low, get a nice big lead afterall you wouldn't be able to break an X-Ray.
But in MK9 using an X-Ray in a combo the majority of the time just made it weak and pointless and you had to use them raw.
Proper meter management 》SWAG X Ray combos... it will forever be that way unless the X Ray combo is ftw. At the same time you can't buff X RAY scaling damage because it will quickly become broken

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
The problem was

Breaker > x-ray

At least for most kharacters.
But X-Ray beat Breakers. That's what they're there for.

What I loved the most about XRays is that there's the element of surprise in it. No dumb cinematics to announce that you're going to do one only the Meter flash and the sound cue.

ZigZag

That Welsh Guy
I guarantee all of you will rarely use it in MKX if it's the same, I give y'all a month of enjoying it.

Last edited:

Fractured_Shadow

What I loved the most about XRays is that there's the element of surprise in it. No dumb cinematics to announce that you're going to do one only the Meter flash and the sound cue.
Lol no.... Xrays are not better than breakers

Troid

Spleens are overrated anyways....
I think that instead of having the previous 3-sectioned bar they could have a 4-sectioned bar but keep the same rules:
-Having one section lets you do one EX move
-Having 2 lets you Breaker/ have 2 EX moves
-Having 3 lets you Xray, Breaker, or use 3 EX moves
-Having all 4 bars opens up a few doors such as using a single EX move with an Xray, 4 EX moves, and 2 Breakers

The only thing I see being problematic when it comes to balance is the 2 breakers so maybe either make Breakers cost 3 or just don't allow meter past the 3rd section usable on Breakers. I honestly don't see too many people saving their whole bar for 2 Breakers at the sacrifice of more damage (especially if the character requires EX moves in their BnBs), but I could be wrong.

Since you have a little more bar to work with I think it'll give players more options to work Xrays into a gameplan. Anyway that's just my idea I don't know if it would actually really work.

I mean, if you're against Kitana, you can spend all your meter on an Xray, but next time she touches you, she's going to take more of your lifebar than most Xray attacks can anyway.

I'd rather prevent myself from taking 45 percent damage and still have enough for another ex move, than deal 40 percent and have no meter left.

Rathalos

Play Monster Hunter!
Instead of having multiple X-rays, I would like 1 X-ray and 1 regular style super.

With X-rays you are kinda shoe horned into a cinematic bone breaking attack.

With a regular super you can do other things, like a metso hadouken, or power up state, or something weird like summoning sinestros trait for 10 seconds. A lot more variety.

Since there will be some weird multiple versions of characters in MKX, one version would have an X-ray, and another would have a super. Or something IDK.

Not like any of this matters, I would imagine a lot of the more basic system mechanics are already in place.

It could have some lasting effects...for Subby in the trailer the first kick could slow him down and the second kick could weaken his Front Kick.

Law Hero

There is a head on a pole behind you
I think another way of doing it would be to give each character access to a single X-Ray use per match, similar to Clashes in Injustice.

That way everyone has the opportunity to use an X-Ray regardless of meter. Maybe you gain access to it only after losing a round or something.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
I make infinite meter kombos. In mk9, only liu kang and kung lao had xray moves that you could juggle off of. Everyone else's ended in some form of grounding move. I envision X-ray juggles into kombos as a way forward. It looks swag until damage scaling. Do the math.

STRYKIE

Are ya' ready for MK11 kids?!
I make infinite meter kombos. In mk9, only liu kang and kung lao had xray moves that you could juggle off of. Everyone else's ended in some form of grounding move.
Cage, Cyrax, Rain...

In fact, Cage and Cyrax are prime examples of characters who had some of the best X-rays in the game overrided by their other meter-dependant tools.

Troid

Spleens are overrated anyways....
xD you must be joking....
Well that's why I suggested those possible limitations on Breakers in the first place. Another thought for limiting them I just had could be making any Breaker used on the 4th or 3rd bar of meter use 3 bars of meter, while using a Breaker on the 2nd bar would use the normal 2, that way you'd only have one extra bar of meter after a Breaker if you already saved up all 4 bars (similar to how you'd have a bar of meter left in MK9 after using a Breaker with full Meter). Also add in some heavier meter-gain scaling in general and I think it could work, maybe.

TaffyMeat

Infinite Meter Kombos
Cage, Cyrax, Rain...

In fact, Cage and Cyrax are prime examples of characters who had some of the best X-rays in the game overrided by their other meter-dependant tools.
4:32am I use kang lao the most so that's what came to mind yo..... Kang Lao

Poto2222

"Online is your forte!" - A Wise Man, 2015.
I'll just throw out an idea here, and you guys tell me what y'all think about it:
What if MKX still used the 3-section meter mechanics, but instead of Breakers costing two bars and X-rays costing all three, X-rays actually could be done with TWO bars and while breakers required THREE?

I know they'd have to do some rework in the meter gain mechanics, and I also know that this would probably kill the "nature" of X-rays (you know, being a "supermove" and all), but at least we would probably use them more often than we did in MK9.

Dunno, would that be stupid or TOO GODDAMN stupid?

Breaker using meter will always cause this dilemma. The thing is, breaker is a get out of jail free card--you can save yourself from an entire combo punish which costs 2 bars. Using meter in a combo only adds like maybe 10% to a regular combo, so what do you do? Gain 10% damage on 2 combos or save yourself from a 40+% combo? X-Ray has the same issue--burn 3 bars for maybe a 15% increase to damage output, or save yourself from 40+%? The order goes: Breaker, EX Moves, X-Ray. Each one is easily chosen before the next.

X-Rays being unbreakable damage is what makes them useful, and I think it fits well. As long as breakers are meter dependent, it's always going to seem silly to spend meter on anything other than that because they're so good. In summary, X-Rays don't suck, they're actually useful, and would be even more useful if breakers didn't rely on meter.

**EDIT--Yes, I realize characters use EX moves to gain properties (such as armor), which makes them more useful, and in that case, sometimes it outweighs the use of breaker for certain characters/situations--I was just speaking in general as EX moves seem to have been intended as combo extenders and damage output increases.

Last edited:

Gesture Required Ahead

Get on that hook
Lol no.... Xrays are not better than breakers
I didn't say Breakers were better than XRays, I just brought up a point that you can't Break XRays. You guys are making it look like XRays are completely useless.

I mean, if you're against Kitana, you can spend all your meter on an Xray, but next time she touches you, she's going to take more of your lifebar than most Xray attacks can anyway.

I'd rather prevent myself from taking 45 percent damage and still have enough for another ex move, than deal 40 percent and have no meter left.
Kitana's not doing shit if you used the XRay to kill her for the round/game even if she has 2 bars available.